New Adoptee With Diarrhea

Guest LovesDoggies

Guest LovesDoggies

On Saturday, I adopted my second greyhound, Kimmie, a 4 year old female. She was in a home for 2 years and was in a municipal shelter for almost 2 weeks before I adopted her. The shelter was very, very nice and clean. The animal control officer did mention that Kimmie had a bit of diarrhea, which she attributed to the stress of her being at the shelter.

On her first walk, her stool was a bit loose and yellow. Today, it is still yellow, but much more loose and she had an accident in the house while I was at work. I am rather certain this is being caused by the recent changes in her diet. I believe they were feeding Purina One at the shelter, and I have been feeding Pro Plan at home, although my boy never has completely solid stool lately, so I think I should change his food as well.

So, does Kimmie need to fast before I feed her boiled hamburger (right?). In the past, my vet always recommended boiled chicken and rice, but from reading some prior posts on here, it seems that people have found better results with just boiled hamburger.

Also, Kimmie has been looking for food since she got here. She eats hers, then finishes her brother's food, then searches for cat food and treats!!

So, can I give her hamburger right away, or do I have to wait (liquids only?) and for how long? Also, should I try pepto or something else and at what point?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Guest Tenderhearts

How is her weight? If she's not terribly thin, I would fast her for 12 hours, then give her some boiled hamburger.

Just make sure she has continued access to water at all times.

I do feed Pro Plan here with good results for all 6 of my pups.

I would also suggest several small meals until you get her completely transitioned over to kibble only.

Thank you so much for adopting that girl! :):grouphug

I would also have her stool tested for all parasites including giardia.

http://www.beaglesunlimited.com/beaglehealth_giardiasis.htm

"The trophozoites divide to produce a large population, then they begin to interfere with the absorption of food. Clinical signs range from none in asymptomatic carriers, to mild recurring diarrhea consisting of soft, light-colored stools, to acute explosive diarrhea in severe cases."

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest SQUEAKER04

I boil the heck out of rice and then add hamburger and boil it some more..the rice is binding and helps hold the stool together.

I would also have her stool tested for all parasites including giardia.

http://www.beaglesunlimited.com/beaglehealth_giardiasis.htm

"The trophozoites divide to produce a large population, then they begin to interfere with the absorption of food. Clinical signs range from none in asymptomatic carriers, to mild recurring diarrhea consisting of soft, light-colored stools, to acute explosive diarrhea in severe cases."

That's a very good point.

To overcome the Big D, we've fed boiled hamburger, skimmed to remove the fat. It's served 50/50 with cooked rice.

Ultimately, it may be dietary and you may have a pup that will eventually adjust to whatever you're feeding- or not. You may have to experiment with different brands of kibble. Failing that, feeding raw (raw meat and bones) can work surprisingly quickly, but the diet can be expensive (depending upon how you source your components), and it does take a bit of studying in order to determine what's best for your pup.

Thanks for bringing her home!

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Sammi had a terrible time here with the big D when I first brought her home last May. She was on the same food she was on in her foster home, so it wasn't that. Pumpkin didnt help. Nor did the Immodium. Rice helped a bit if I cooked the heck outta it and then puree'd it :lol Bout the same as baby rice cereal, i guess.

Pasta helped (along with boiled chicken or beef) a LOT better for Sammi, but still didnt clear it up. I thought I would be feeding her a bland diet (boiled and pasta/rice soup) forever! (Vet checked everything, incl our tap water)

The tap water was the culprit :blink: There was something she wasn't used to, or was different. (Funny, I am the same way when I travel, and it took my MOM figuring it out!)

But once she got used to it, her stools firmed right up. Took a 3 night trip last Spring and sure enough, that night, after drinking the water at the hotel, D. Ran to the store and bought bottled water (the 3 gal jugs they have) and firmed back up by the next night.

Went to a friend's house a few weeks ago and brought water from home (overnight trip) and no D problems at all.

hth and GL!

Edited by Gryffenne