Cimetidine (tagamet)

Jack has just been put onto Cimetidine since he's now taking Metacam pretty much every day for his arthritis. He's been pacing a little and panting in the evenings and we're thinking he has a sore tummy.

So my question for those of you with dogs on Cimetidine, how long did it take for you to notice a difference? I'm asking because I've only been given five day's worth of tabs and my DH (who is on a very similar drug for acid reflux) says he was told not to expect a difference for a couple of weeks.

Thanks for any information!

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Hmmm. Can't really answer.

When I gave Pepcid or sucralfate, it either worked (or didn't work) right away.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest LynnM

I think you're talking apples and oranges if your husband is taking omeprazole or esomeprazole (Prilosec OTC or Nexium). Tagamet/cimetidine (as well as pepcid) works differently and is much quicker acting than Prilosec or other proton pump inhibitors.

Tagamet or Pepcid, if it's going to make a difference, will be noticeable after the first dose. There's no cumulative effect. BTW, both Tagamet and Pepcid are available over the counter as both brand name and generics and will probably be cheaper than if purchased from the vet.

Lynn

Edited by LynnM

Can you get sulcrafate and add it?

Uhh ... In my information, Tagamet and sulcrafate may interact and should not be used together. :dunno

What about zantac (it seems to work better)

Zantac is prescription-only over here, too. Seems you guys can buy more stuff than we can! :P

Guest LynnM

Pepcid is what most folks in this area use for dogs (per vet recommendation). Is it available OTC?

What about non-medical options? Have you tried giving his meds with his meal?

Lynn

I dont' know of Pepcid. Never seen it over here, but then I don't go looking for indigestion meds for myself. Rennies are about all I ever need.

Yes, he ALWAYS gets his Metacam in food. Mixed in so if he doesn't eat, he doesn't get it. He always eats. :lol

Can you get sulcrafate and add it?

Uhh ... In my information, Tagamet and sulcrafate may interact and should not be used together. :dunno

What about zantac (it seems to work better)

Zantac is prescription-only over here, too. Seems you guys can buy more stuff than we can! :P

Zantac is Ranitidine and is available over the counter in the lower dose 75mg form....and the generic form is cheaper and just as good ;)

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

I take cimetidine myself (generic version) for acid indigestion ... and it works with each tablet taken. Takes a bit for it to "kick in" after taking it, but the burning stops.

Lee: (RR's Busy): Oswald Cobblepot X Lively Layla (10/14/97 - 01/22/10) ; Cool: (P's Cool Runner): P's Raising Cain X My Cool Runner (3/3/97 - 12/26/09) ; Nutty: (Itsanutterbutter): State of the Art X Itsalmostsaintly ; Waterproof: (KB's Waterproof): Oshkosh Slammer X Special Lady* ; Sadie: my sweet silly girl: 5/5/98 - 11/26/05

FWIW, Pepcid is famotidine. Regular dose is 10mg twice a day. You can give 20mg twice a day, but the lower dose is usually all that's needed.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Thanks for all the info and advice, everyone.

Cimetidine does seem to be helping him, which is good news. He's not so restless in the evenings, doesn't keep going out to eat grass. :thumbs-up

Metacam is working well for him at the moment apart from the stomach issues. He doesn't vomit, he doesn't have the big D, and it's helping his pain quite a lot, so I'm reluctant to change too quickly, but of course, we'll bear it in mind as a possibility if this doesn't work long term.

Thanks again!