Waterproof Booties

Missy is really struggling with this paw cut...stitched and bandaged. then vet takes off bandage and leaves stitches. not even a mention about a a-collar so I didnt think about it. needless to say she ripped the stitches out and bled everywhere (while I was away)...she is now stitched with dissolvable stitches and wearing a e-collar because she keeps licking the bandage. when the vet changed it yesterday her foot was wet. :angry: I am trying to walk her less since the bags keep ripping and she just has to kick after she goes. This is a bad time of the year to buy booties,but I sent my husband out looking anyway. I figure once the bandage is off it might be a good idea to have her wear a boot to avoid opening it again when walking.

Any suggestions on how to waterproof the bandage for now would be helpful. I have thought about getting waterproof medical tape and wrapping the bottom of the foot....

also, specific boots ( I saw therapaw site) would help too.

Thanks, my poor girl is so having a tough time.

Ask the vet.

When Beau had his leg surgery, over the cast was a black bootie with a rubber sole. It went all the way up the leg and tied at the knee.

I'm sure you will be able to purchase one of the ones they use for post surgical procedures!

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Ask the vet.

When Beau had his leg surgery, over the cast was a black bootie with a rubber sole. It went all the way up the leg and tied at the knee.

I'm sure you will be able to purchase one of the ones they use for post surgical procedures!

I am at a loss...my vet doesnt have any thing. she is in terrible pain today--wont put the foot down. I am afraid it is infected or something under the bandage. she had it changed friday. they said it was wet--I am been trying to keep it covered and using e-collar. but sh is somehow able to get to it. I tried to put a fresh sock on and she started screaming. I think we spoke before..I live in East Meadow. I had switched to a greyhound savvy vet-but took her to my old vet thinking this cut was a simple issue. Now it has turned into a disaster. and money is so tight for me right now. I am frustated and upset for her. she is clearly in pain. I am waiting for the vet to call me back

Get some gallon sized ziploc bags -- a good name brand. Cut off the ziploc part. Take out two. Put one inside the other. Insert dog's bandaged foot. Wrap neatly around leg. Secure around ankle and again further up with vet wrap, nice and snug. Now here's the important part: Take some duct tape and make a sole and toepiece for your bootie. Two layers is nice. Don't wrap *around* too much -- you want to be able to take this off when indoors and reuse it next time you have to go out -- just plaster some duct tape on the sole, maybe 1" over the toe, half inch up the sides. Sometimes the inner bag wriggles around and gets frustrating when you try to reuse it, but the duct tape protects the sole and keeps those evil toenails from poking thru.

Good luck!!!!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

We have purchased dog booties for the hounds from www.dogbooties.com. They were very reasonable and durable. When I want to make sure a bandage stays dry, I do as batmom suggested and put a ziplock bag on first and then the dog boot.

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)