How Long Do You Have To Wait To Bathe A Dog After Neutering?

Guest got2now

Guest got2now

I can't wait to wash the vomit off this boy's legs from after his surgery. We just got him today, his surgery was two days ago, and I forgot to ask the adoption group how long I had to wait to bathe him. They used glue on him, not stitches, if that's relevant.

Wash his legs. He doesnt want the puke on there any more than you do. Leave his surgical site alone and watch it as you normally would for signs and symptoms of infection (i.e. redness, swelling, drainage). Cleaning his legs should not be a problem...

Edited by rycezmom

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

Wash his legs. He doesnt want the puke on there any more than you do. Leave his surgical site alone and watch it as you normally would for signs and symptoms of infection (i.e. redness, swelling, drainage). Cleaning his legs should not be a problem...

Exactly!

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest Snowy8

Ditto! I'd use baby wipes or pet wipes...don't bathe the entire dog. And don't bathe him until his stitches come out & I'd say wait for the scabs to come off. Just like with a human who's got stitches.

Guest shirley

I have a couple of old tea towels I use for such occasions. I just make them damp with some nice warm water and wipe the dirty area just like a patient having a bed bath :P

Guest got2now

Thanks for the good advice. I sponged his legs off with a wet washcloth, shampoo, and water, and got some dog wipes at the store tonight to do the rest of his body. I forgot that I'll be taking him in Monday to our vet to get checked out, so I'll ask them then about how long to wait before the first full bath. He has gorgeous white teeth.

They also make a "waterless" cleaner for dogs; we were advised to use this, if necessary, for Tito after we brought him home. No full-body wash for a week, I think it was.

And to keep the teeth nice and shiny, get some Petrodent enzymatic cleaner. Throw away the brush that comes with it, and use a soft, small human toothbrush. Works great!

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest Cris_M

Congratulations on your new dog!

You may be surprised how clean you grey is by the time he can have a bath -- not including the puke legs, of course. They are so naturally clean, that brushing him daily may be all he needs. Duncan was nasty smelling and dusty and just plain dirty when we first got him. He had been neutered the day before so bathing was out. With a week pf daily grooming, he had no smell and looked and felt clean.

Guest got2now

The pet wipes have helped a lot along with a fine-toothed plastic comb, and I have these great dental wipes that I use on my other grey after I brush her teeth. He let me do the toothbrush for about 20 seconds on each side, then the dental wipes for a little longer, but I chickened out after that. He's sweet, but he's aggressive too, and I don't want to do too much too soon. His skin is really peeling like it's been sunburned, and it flakes off like crazy. Can't wait to see what the vet says tomorrow.