How Long Before Tapeworms Show?

Guest BlackandBrindle

Guest BlackandBrindle

I have reason to believe Sadie may have infected herself with tapeworm today. How long before I start to see the 'end product'? :puke

Only way she'd get tapes is if she ate a tapeworm-infected flea.

I don't think it would do any good to give meds now, believe you have to wait for the life cycle to ... cycle :lol .

Hooks and whips are easier to get. If she's on a monthly heartworm preventive that treats those, she probably won't get them unless she has ongoing heavy exposure.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest BlackandBrindle

She possibly ate half a ground squirrel. When I called the vet, she said tapes were a possibility :puke because of the fleas....

*sigh*

Could be worse, right? I just have the total heebie jeebies thinking about worms *shudder*

My two cents - I'd hold off and see if she actually gets tapeworms. Those are chemicals you'd otherwise be putting in her body unnecessarily.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest savvyprchick

I'd hold off too... no need to give her meds that may not be necessary. And if you are vigilant, you'll catch it early enough... no harm, no foul. Here's hoping she doesn't get them, though :)

Guest BooMooandDoo
Only way she'd get tapes is if she ate a tapeworm-infected flea.

I don't think it would do any good to give meds now, believe you have to wait for the life cycle to ... cycle :lol .

Hooks and whips are easier to get. If she's on a monthly heartworm preventive that treats those, she probably won't get them unless she has ongoing heavy exposure.

PM me. . we have a natural dewormer that is effective on tape worms.

Homeopet Dewormer

Triple wormer - hook, round and tape.

Indicated for parasite infestation of the gut - including: tapeworm, hookworm, and roundworm. No chemicals. Non-toxic. No food withdrawal.

All natural intestinal cleanser. Work by rendering the gut as an unsuitable environment for worms to live in.

Ingredients:

Granatum, Kamala, Chenopodium anthelminticum, Philix mas, 20 % alcohol in distilled water.

If it isn't a poison, basically, it won't kill worms. You can give it if you want to, but won't have any effect on worm infestation or not. The only things that kill intestinal parasites are things like Droncit (tapeworms), Panacur (other worms -- may also kill one type of tapeworm but I forget), and once the worms emerge, a good ol' size 9.

It's sorta like the thing about garlic killing fleas. Nice idea. Doesn't happen, though.

Edited by Batmom

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

No experience with tapesworms in dogs, but my outdoor cat (affectionately known as "bunny breath") used to get them from time to time. I'd hold off on any medication for now.

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)