A Belated Introduction . . . And Goodbye

Guest jade1046

Guest jade1046

It's been two and a half months since Felicia crossed the bridge, suddenly and unexpectedly. Not yet six years old, Felicia had been with us for less than a year. I posted when she took ill and subsequently passed from a ruptured intestinal tumor (Remembrance forum linky), but I never formally introduced her to the world of greyhound lovers. Here is her story:

It was late April 2006 when I was approached by one of our group members (Karen) about a little brindle girl she was fostering for cat and small dog testing. Karen half-jokingly mentioned that Felicia would be perfect for us as she was extremely shy, very much like our Minnie when she first came to us, and since we had done such a good job with Minnie …. hint, hint, hint. Well, we were not really ready to add another dog since we were in the midst of planning my daughter's wedding in August - too busy, too busy. But I mentioned it to my DH and to my surprise he said let's check into it. So we agreed to go meet Felicia the weekend after returning from Greyhounds in Gettysburg.

As the date approached, we received word that Felicia had suffered an accident in the back yard of her foster home. Karen had apparently turned to put her chihuahua mix in the house (this dog is partially paralyzed, so needs help) and when she went back in the yard Felicia was just standing there looking bewildered. Karen called to her, but she stayed where she was. When she approached Felicia, Karen was horrified to see a huge gash/tear in Felicia's left groin area. She could only surmise that Felicia had been running and somehow tried to avoid a wrought iron lawn chair, possibly tried to jump over it, and got caught by the protruding arm of the chair. Karen immediately called our group president who is also a vet tech and she came right over and stapled the wound closed. Felicia was taken in for surgery the next day and ended up with about a six inch long set of sutures. When Felicia came around and they took her out to relieve herself, the medical staff noticed that she still wasn't walking quite right. They brought her in and re-examined her only to find that she had apparently blown out her right hind knee at the time of the accident, but it wasn't noticed because of the other injury! Poor baby had to go in a week later to have her knee repaired. So now what?

Felicia at our first meeting after surgery

Felicia_002a.jpg

We decided we still wanted to meet Felicia, even though it would be another eight weeks before she'd be able to leave the foster home. So off we went, and this traumatized, shy, broken little girl had the fortitude to give kisses right from the start. Well it was love at first sight and after eight weeks of resting and recuperation, we brought Felicia home – one year ago today.

We were warned that Felicia didn't like to come out of her crate and needed to be socialized. To our surprise, Felicia hardly ever went into her crate, except when we put her there for the night or while we were out. Instead, she chose to camp out on our dining room floor, behind the table, where she could see us but not be too close! As the days wore on Felicia became increasingly more curious and discovered the trove of babies in the family room. One by one she would sneak in and carry them off to her little den in the dining room. After a while, I blocked the area where she liked to lay and put her blanket on the other side of the table. It only took about five weeks for her to completely abandon the dining room and join the rest of us in the family room. She would make herself comfortable either on the floor or in her crate, always surrounded by her babies.

Felicia in her hidey hole

IMG_0532a.jpg

Getting more comfortable with us - silly girl!

IMG_0553a.jpg

Hanging out with Minnie

Felicia_Minnie_08-06-06.jpg

For four months, we had to be extremely careful not to let Felicia run in the yard, until the knee tendons and ligaments were completely healed. She was a very good girl and seemed to know her limitations. The wounds healed beautifully, and she got stronger every day. When the snow came, she absolutely scared me to death by doing full speed zoomies all around the yard. Nothing would stop her and no one would ever guess that she had sustained such severe injuries just six months earlier. We were finally able to let both dogs out together and they became great playmates. Felicia would zoom circles around our shed and Minnie would stand at the front and wait for Felicia to come around. Minnie would give about a two pace chase, then let Felicia do all the work again – no sense in tiring herself out!

Felicia came out of her shell completely during her short time with us – but only at home. When among strangers or at meet and greets, she would revert to her shy ways, shaking and trying to hide behind Minnie. I so regret that others never got to know what a sweet, silly, pushy little girl she really was. We used to call her the bulldozer, as she would practically knock everything and everyone out of the way to go outside. She was the sloppiest drinker I've ever seen – there would be trails of water all through the kitchen after she'd taken a drink. When it rained, no matter how lightly she stepped, she would somehow manage to have all four legs and her underbelly covered with mud when she came back in. She loved to give kisses and would snuggle her head in your arm as you were wishing her goodnight. She loved her babies and would fill her crate with them. I used to have to pull at least half a dozen out every night so there would be room for her to lie down.

Where's Felicia?

IMG_0681a.jpg

Graduating from crate to bed - except how do you work this thing, Momma?

IMG_0684a.jpg

This is my spot now, right near Momma!

IMG_0653a.jpg

We miss you so much, sweet angel Felicia. :angelwings You brought so much joy and love into our hearts, if only for a short time. Run free and without pain - doing zoomies through the clouds! :gh_run

Guest hamiesmom

What a beautiful story for an absolutely stunning little girl, who got to know what a "forever home" meant even though it was only for a short time. Run free, beautiful little angel.

thank you for sharing Felicia with us. She obviously was a diamond. I am sorry she left you so early but am so glad she had love and a wonderful home. I hope Minnie is ok too.

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

Your beautiful Angel watches over you until you meet again. :grouphug Run free sweetheart...and send Mommy beautiful Rainbows from the Bridge. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

No matter how long they stay, they never stay long enough. She knew she was well loved.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

What a beautiful girl--thank you so much for sharing those pictures and for giving us a glimpse of the wonderful personality of your very special girl.

I'm so that she was with you for such a short time, but what a great blessing that you found her and that she found you.

:f_pink

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Guest PNWtrillium

What a lucky girl for having such a loving family. Thank you for sharing her with us.

I don't have the wherewithall to read the story of her tumor, as it would hurt too much. My Sequoia died in December, six months after her Gotcha Day. They just nuzzle themselves into our hearts and we are never the same.

I send gentle hugs for your grief. You know that, as you will always love sweet Felicia, she will always love you, too.

Guest Dinabird

What a great story, thank you. Every-time I look at my sweet girl I treasure the moment because I know of stories like this. We are so blessed to be loved by such wonderful animals.

I hope you soon make room in your heart to honor her memory by rescuing another! f_yellow

Edited by Dinabird

Guest bowiebears

A very touching, heart-warming story.

It's very hard to know what to say after stories like this.

The wonder of love, the glory of patience and caring, the joy of watching a fewllos creature grow in trust....

We are all blessed by our animals' presenc ein our lives...

One day we will all meet again at The Bridge.

--Isaac

that picture of her with her bottom on the edge of the bed made me laugh out loud :lol

I'm so sorry for your loss...she was a special girl :grouphug:f_white

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

I am so very glad she found her home with you! It may have been too short a time but I know it was heaven on earth for her.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm going to hug my brindle beauty now...

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Guest JMinAugustaGA
No matter how long they stay, they never stay long enough. She knew she was well loved.

How very true..... :brokenheart

I'm so sorry. :candle No matter how long we have them, a few months or many years, it is never enough time. :grouphug

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest how888

What a beautiful angel who once graced our earth now graces our Heaven. Know you were and will always be so loved sweet gentle soul. Godspeed Felecia. Keep those signs coming giving us all the hope we need til we meet again.

• 1 month later...
:cry1f_yellow:grouphug I'm so sorry for your loss.

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

What a beautiful tribute to a special and obviously much loved girl! The shy ones hold a very special place in my heart too. I'm glad you got to share each other's lives even if the time was short. Thank you for sharing her with us.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown