Anxious Behaviour Or Ringworm

Guest Finnegan

Guest Finnegan

Well, I'm quite excited to be part of a forum, more so, one that's about greys. The concern right now with our new three

year old grey is that he's showing signs of "Alopecia Areata". A condition that manifests in humans either due to shock to

the nervous system, or high levels of stress. I'm a hairdresser so I've seen it manifest on a few female clients... more so than my male clients. The point... he's now licking the bald patch on his hip which if a "hotspot" might make things worse, but my instinct is to ride this out a few more days assuming that this is all stress related. Finnegan does whine and bark quite a bit, and his stool is still quite soft. He just seems to me like he's adjusting to his environnment, and is simply anxious only having been with us for two weeks. Our next step is to find out if he would have been tested for ringworm before adoption.

Guest Tenderhearts

First of all, welcome to GT!

Did he have the bald patch when you adopted him, or has it popped up since then?

If there was ever a nervous dog to enter this house, it was my most recent grey, Randy! :blink: Although I'm not saying stress can't make a dog lose hair, we didn't have that problem here. We did have the soft stools too, and he preferred to spend a LOT of time hiding in his crate :ph34r

Is he scratching at himself at all? Some dogs are so allergic to fleas that they can get a single flea on them and then scratch and chew at a spot where they were bitten till they develop a bald spot and secondary skin infection. That is what happened when my oldest daughter left her dog with me a couple of years ago. Raven had bald irritated patches all over from flea allergy dermatitis. We had to apply flea control and put her on antibiotics to clear the infection up.

I've had my Daisy for a little over two years and she had a patch on her hip like that for about a year. We're pretty sure that it was caused by a food allergy. It wasn't bare the entire time, but what little fur was left was yellow, and I finally removed the yellow fur (she's white) w a shedding blade this time last year.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Guest Finnegan

The bald patch on Finnegan's hip has gotten a bit bigger since my post yesterday and a small scab has formed inside of it. It's not what some would call scally, with raised edges which would indicate ringworm. It isn't moist and nor does it smell like I've read a hot spot might. I've mixed 10 parts water to one part bleach and dabbed the area along with other areas that seemed to be a focus for licking with him. Guess what... it seems to have done the trick. He's not acting like he's being bitten by bugs anymore. I'm sure having been adopted a meer two weeks ago in this terrible Toronto humidity had something to do with it, but the question still remains... what the hells going on????

Edited by Finnegan