Had A Major Scare Tonight.........

Guest greytfulhounds

Guest greytfulhounds

After dinner Danny & the other hounds were playing in the yard. I was washing their bowls and half watching them out the window when Danny started to scream. I went running out and he was limping on his left front leg and crying everytime he moved. I got him in the house and he seemed to start walking okay and then layed down on his bed. I thought he was being a drama queen and was really okay.

A little while later he went to get up and he screamed.........he tried to lay down & screamed.........Mike tried to move his ankle around and he cried............so, off to the vet we went. Of course I was in a panic and thinking the worst. Thankfully it did not turn out to be my biggest fear but my poor boy tore his teres major muscle. He is able to bear weight on the leg but the side to side movement causes him great pain. They put him on Deramax for the next 4 days and he will need to be kept quiet and leash walked to potty until he is healed. The vet said this could be a recurring injury.

Has anyone else had experience with this type of injury?

Please keep my sweet, goofy boy in your thoughts.

No experience w/ shoulder injuries in hounds... just with people. :( Hopefully rest and NSAIDS will help him heal quickly. Would think that using an ice pack on the area for the first couple of days might help too. Sending lots of :getwell thoughts to your precious boy. :hope

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Guest greytfulhounds
No experience w/ shoulder injuries in hounds... just with people. :( Hopefully rest and NSAIDS will help him heal quickly. Would think that using an ice pack on the area for the first couple of days might help too. Sending lots of :getwell thoughts to your precious boy. :hope

Thank you! Yes, the vet did tell us to ice the area 10 minutes at a time for the first few days.

Jake hurt his shoulder in the fall. After a week of alternating ice and heat we started doing massage therapy. It really helped. We also gave him Traumeel a homeopathic anti inflamitory. It took quite a long time, but he was doing his immitation of a helicopter by Christmas. :D

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest FullMetalFrank

My bridge houndie Iberia had an old shoulder injury that would flare up and bother him from time to time, and at first I thought it was an ankle/wrist problem because of the way he'd limp on it. His had been healed for quite some time; but he enjoyed gentle massages on his shoulder and a few times I put a warm, damp towel on it when it was bothering him. Other than that, just tried to keep him quiet when it seemed to be flaring up.

Guest vahoundlover

Hoping my sweet nephew :kiss2 and you guys got some rest last night. Maybe some acupuncture would help? :dunno

Danny, you must do as mom and dad say sweetie :nod

They usually don't take an extremely long time to heal. Generally they recur only when the muscle is only partially torn, they'll often keep tearing until it's completely torn. That's usually the end of it. It's not something that's going to cause permanent lameness or anything. They get around just fine.

Those who would give up Essential Liberty
to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
Ben Franklin

Guest patti909
After dinner Danny & the other hounds were playing in the yard. I was washing their bowls and half watching them out the window when Danny started to scream. I went running out and he was limping on his left front leg and crying everytime he moved. I got him in the house and he seemed to start walking okay and then layed down on his bed. I thought he was being a drama queen and was really okay.

A little while later he went to get up and he screamed.........he tried to lay down & screamed.........Mike tried to move his ankle around and he cried............so, off to the vet we went. Of course I was in a panic and thinking the worst. Thankfully it did not turn out to be my biggest fear but my poor boy tore his teres major muscle. He is able to bear weight on the leg but the side to side movement causes him great pain. They put him on Deramax for the next 4 days and he will need to be kept quiet and leash walked to potty until he is healed. The vet said this could be a recurring injury.

Luke does this all of the time on his right front ankle; including the GSOD. The vet slso said it was probably injured at the track and he is just more sensitive in that leg. And Deramax is usullay prescribed.

Guest greytfulhounds

Danny is doing remarkably well tonight. He is walking gingerly on that leg but he is getting around well, the swelling is very minimal and I think that the Deramax has made him quite comfortable. I actually think he is enjoying his one on one time when we take him out by himself to potty.

Thank you all for sharing your experiences and for the positive thoughts.

Luke does this all of the time on his right front ankle; including the GSOD. The vet slso said it was probably injured at the track and he is just more sensitive in that leg. And Deramax is usullay prescribed.

It is funny that some of you have mentioned that you thought it was an ankle problem with your hounds. When this first happened, the way Danny held his leg, we thought it was his ankle too and were surprised when the vet said it was actually a shoulder injury. Once he pointed out the shoulder we could see the swelling but had not looked there at first.

Checking in and hoping dad did as instructed :hope:goodluck Give Danny a kiss for me!

Hi Hope!! :wave All was well when I got home.........dad took good care of Mr. Dan!

Dan Miller! You can't go scaring your Momma and Dad that way. You be good now, you hear? Miss Mango says you gotta get better so she can chase you around the yard at Dewey this year. ;)

Oh, Sher, I can imagine how worried you were. Here's hoping it's a fast and easy recovery! Didn't Mike take a canine massage class at Dewey a few years back? Looks like he'll be able to put that to good use, now...

:grouphug from the Texas crew!

Kate, with Nedra and Holly
Missing Greyhound Angels Mango, Takoda, Ruger, Delta, and Shiloh, kitty Angel Hoot, cat-tester extraordinaire, and Rocky, the stray cat who came to stay for a little while and then moved on.
Greyhounds Unlimited

Guest greytfulhounds
Dan Miller! You can't go scaring your Momma and Dad that way. You be good now, you hear? Miss Mango says you gotta get better so she can chase you around the yard at Dewey this year. ;)

Oh, Sher, I can imagine how worried you were. Here's hoping it's a fast and easy recovery! Didn't Mike take a canine massage class at Dewey a few years back? Looks like he'll be able to put that to good use, now...

:grouphug from the Texas crew!

Not sure Dan will be running around the yard in Dewey but he is looking forward to you & Mango spending the week with us!!

:bighug to you and Mango!