Eating Poop

Guest CatsandDog

Guest Paige12

Maybe she's not eating as much because she wants to eat something else. We changed foods when we moved back to the lower 48 in April. Jet was loving that food. Then Ry decided he was NOT going to eat it any more, so we changed back to their previous food. Which Jet will only eat when she is very very very hungry. She'd rather eat T's food.

If she has food allergies, do you know what she's allergic to? If so, try a new food that will work for her and give it a try - should help with her eating maybe.

As for the poop snacking... muzzle with tape over the end or stool guard - you'll have to clean that still though if she shoves it into poop at every opportunity (Ry did). Ry doesn't eat poop down here - guess he doesn't like the sun baked variety.

In all seriousness, check how much fat is in your food if possible. A cheaper, poorer quality food generally has more by-products listed closer to the beginning of the ingredient list. By-products are generally renderings purchased from rendering facilities and contain a lot of fat. The more fat in the food, the more tastier it will be to your hound. A food that is a little higher quality will not contain corn typically, by products, or non specific animal meal. I was agreeing with Trudy,when she says try a new food. (the serious part I meant, me)

Edited by Paige12

Oh boy. Poop eating. It happens, but I just find it disgusting because those mouths then kiss me!

My pups are OK in summer, but frozen poopsicles are apparently manna from heaven in Winter. And, yes, we feed premium food.

As far as I can tell the only cure is to pick it up as fast as possible. Like immediately with the pooper scooper or bag as close as posible to the sphincter! Forget additives and such they just waste money, You just have to be on the job of poop control.

Edited by Saffron

Gillian
Caesar (Black Caesarfire) and Olly (Oregon) the Galgo

Still missing: Nell (spaniel mix) 1982-1997, Boudicca (JRT) 1986- 2004, and the greys P's Catwalk 2001-2008, Murphy Peabody (we failed fostering) 1998-2010 and Pilgrim (Blazing Leia) 2003-2016,

Guest Paige12

Oh boy. Poop eating. It happens, but I just find it disgusting because those mouths then kiss me!

My pups are OK in summer, but frozen poopsicles are apparently manna from heaven in Winter. And, yes, we feed premium food.

As far as I can tell the only cure is to pick it up as fast as possible. Like immediately with the pooper scooper or bag as close as posible to the sphincter! Forget additives and such they just waste money, You just have to be on the job of poop control.

What she said.