Eating Poop

Guest CatsandDog

Guest CatsandDog

Why would a grey eat poop? Is there something missing in her diet? We'll be more dilligent in the backyard poop cleanups, but there must me a reason? Is there any danger to her?

Guest KennelMom

They eat it because they like it. Actually, there is a lot of material in poo from kibble that wasn't absorbed by their bodies the first time around - stuff that the dogs can still smell when it exits out the other end. By contrast, if you feed raw, pretty much ALL of the food is usable by the dog's body, so they poop out very little waste and what they do poop out isn't anything they want to eat.

You have two options if you have a poop eater: Keep it all picked up, all the time or turn them out with a muzzle/stool guard so they can't eat it.

There really isn't any life-threatening danger to them eating poop...Lord knows some of our dogs would be dead by now if there were :rolleyes: However, if you ever had a dog puke up poop it is BY FAR the most foul smelling substance on earth. :sick

Edited by KennelMom

Guest simile

Thankfully, mine don't go for the yard poo, but they seem to think the kitty box is their own personal cookie jar. My vet told me that when you feed your animals high end food, the poo tends to be high end, too...

Guest TBSFlame

I give my greys carrots and their are bits of carrots in their poop. Some like it some don't. I just pick it up right away.

Guest terilynb

Recycling!!! I've had some that did this in the past. Heidi would dig up carrots in the garden, eat them, poop them, then eat them again!! I've been told it's food that's not digested.

Gracie has occasional spells of poop eating. When it happens I put some pineapple juice in everybody's kibble for a few days and that breaks the cycle. :)

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest Kpparker

Luckily mine don't eat poop (maybe because I dont let them since their always on leash) - however I sure hope Sadie's breath isnt killing you all!

Guest lukiesmom
Luckily mine don't eat poop (maybe because I dont let them since their always on leash) - however I sure hope Sadie's breath isnt killing you all!

There is this stuff that you can buy at Pets Plus called SEP Stop Eating Poop. Sure cured my Mikey of the yard waste buffet. I'll have to try the pineapple juice.

Thankfully, mine don't go for the yard poo, but they seem to think the kitty box is their own personal cookie jar. My vet told me that when you feed your animals high end food, the poo tends to be high end, too...

They don't call 'em cat box crunchies for nothing ;)

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

Guest sparkhawk
Gracie has occasional spells of poop eating. When it happens I put some pineapple juice in everybody's kibble for a few days and that breaks the cycle. :)

How does that work?

Guest Snowy8

They eat it because they like it. Actually, there is a lot of material in poo from kibble that wasn't absorbed by their bodies the first time around - stuff that the dogs can still smell when it exits out the other end. By contrast, if you feed raw, pretty much ALL of the food is usable by the dog's body, so they poop out very little waste and what they do poop out isn't anything they want to eat.

You have two options if you have a poop eater: Keep it all picked up, all the time or turn them out with a muzzle/stool guard so they can't eat it.

There really isn't any life-threatening danger to them eating poop...Lord knows some of our dogs would be dead by now if there were :rolleyes: However, if you ever had a dog puke up poop it is BY FAR the most foul smelling substance on earth. :sick

[/quote]

DITTO....I have I think, 4 poopsters & so far so good, except when they puke...ohmygawd! :sick:sick:sick:sick

My new Greyhound, Gracie, really ate the poop when I first got her. And it was really frustrating to find the right methods to stop this behavior. Another Greyhound friend shared an article from the Whole Dog Journal - Eeek! Don't Eat That! Dealing with dogs with pica or coprophagia - from December 2006. She also shared with me that she gave her Greyhounds digestive enzymes.

I started Gracie on (human kind) Papaya Enzymes (1 tab a day), and I saw positive results in about 2-3 weeks. I also went outside with her and positively praised her when she pooped and gave her some yummy treats to lure her away from it. Gracie also has a stool cup in her muzzle and wears it when I cannot be outside with her.

Gracie sometimes eats my other Greyhound's poop - so the vet said to give him the enzymes also - that it would not hurt him. With all the methods I tried from the article and my friend's advice, I feel like I have Gracie's poop eating licked to about 95% now.

Here is the website for the journal www.whole-dog-journal.com and if you are a subscriber, you can get this article - it's listed under eating disorders.

Here is a website for prozyme - a product that aid in digestion and helps curb poop eating www.prozymeproducts.com

You can get a free sample of it by calling (800) 522-5537 or click on the ad for the free sample on their website.

Hope this helps!

I am curious to know if anyone else gives digestive enzymes for poop eating......

• 3 years later...
Guest avadogner

Hi,

My baby Ava (she's been a baby for 10 yrs) has a nasty habit of trolling for yard truffles. Her appetite has been dropping over the last year. Our vet is keeping an eye on it and all her labs checked out ok. We add the tablets bought at Pet Smart to helps stop it. We leave her food out at all times since she has taken to grazing in small amounts. We are lucky to get 2 of the 3 feeding she used to eat in. She seems to prefer the poo over the kibble. She has been on ProPlan sensitive stomach/allergy blend since we adopted her 8 years ago. She had issues with hair loss and diarhea which the vet DX as food allergies. Do I need to change food or just muzzle her? I can't bear to muzzle her but she eats more grass and poo than food sometimes. It may just seem that way to me. We scoop up the best we can but our fenced yard is really big and I am awaiting a kidney transplant and can't handle the feces(literally). She has always liked eating grass but the poop thing started about 2 years ago. Is this doggie dementia or what? I've starting worrying about her health since she turned the big 10. She also has the most horrible breath ever. She came to us with teeth issues. We brush weekly and do mint organic treats but sweet baby Jesus she can make me hurl with one well placed burp. Please help us with any tips to curtail this. Thanks!

Guest Samantha

When we have had afew together that like to eat poop we always put a table spoon of pineapple chunks in their food it always stops it. It must taste yucky after its been digested maybe? :dunno

Guest Energy11

Goldie LIVES for poop! She will literally eat it as it comes out of one of the others' butts! We have to be right on top with the scooper at all times. blink.gifmad.gif

The only thing that has worked for me is a muzzle with a stool guard. Muzzles aren't really a bad thing, think of them as safety equipment. One other thing to think about, our angel Emmy got a bad case of HGE from eating poop and ended up at the vet's for 3 days and we almost lost her to it. Better to muzzle than to pay a vet bill.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest lat41065

i have a few that poop eat also. in fact nickname PE for Ranger !! my vet said if he could figure that out he would be a billionaire. I try to pick up fast than they can eat. Quite annoying when the bedroom smells of waste and it someone MOUTH !

Lesley

Guest Swifthounds

What Heather said. :colgate

There are lots of supposed "fixes": pineapple juice, meat tenderizer, commercially marketed products, etc. Not sure what the gimmick is with the pineapple....citric acid smell a turnoff maybe? Most of the others work by trying to make poo unappettizing. Many of them only work with a "recreational" snacker and not those truly inclined, or on those for whom it has become behavioral. I've never had much success with either, and frankly, I'm not crazy about dumping something into my dog and causing unknown changes to solve that kind of problem.

Poop cups and diligence along with behavioral conditioning have worked well over the years.

Guest lasharp1209

We don't have a problem with Blade eating his own poop, but he sure loves discovering the "presents" other dogs have left by the side of the road when we go on our walks! I just have to watch him carefully, and pull him away if he does happen to get a hold of some. Then, of course, not let him breathe in my face for 20 minutes :sick

Guest Paige12

Aaahhh... welcome to the world of poop eaters!!! It is a tragic, disgusting world (to us humans) and a magical, wonderful world to our 4-legged kids who see that there are meals inside and outside!!! Our daughters Golden is a big time poop eater and she used to get so frustrated over it until she read Patricia McConnell's blog where she mentioned that to HER dog's the most perfect of worlds was where they could roll in fox scat and eat sheep poop! So she figured if Trish could deal, she could!! We just work on keeping our yard completely cleaned up, always... not possible for everyone I know, but I absolutely hate it when they have been out snacking in the yard. Good luck!

Maybe she's not eating as much because she wants to eat something else. We changed foods when we moved back to the lower 48 in April. Jet was loving that food. Then Ry decided he was NOT going to eat it any more, so we changed back to their previous food. Which Jet will only eat when she is very very very hungry. She'd rather eat T's food.

If she has food allergies, do you know what she's allergic to? If so, try a new food that will work for her and give it a try - should help with her eating maybe.

As for the poop snacking... muzzle with tape over the end or stool guard - you'll have to clean that still though if she shoves it into poop at every opportunity (Ry did). Ry doesn't eat poop down here - guess he doesn't like the sun baked variety.

Guest dogbiteexpert

Hi,

eating non nutritive substances is called Pica. It is not unusual in dogs of any breed.

First check with your vet to see if she is trying to make up for a lack of nutrients in her diet.

A classic way of dealing with this is to add Adolphs meat tenderizer to her food. It causes her poop to have a different

"flavor" if you will, that is not very appealing even to dogs that seem drawn to it.

http://www.dogbite-expert.com