Pooping And Puking

Guest Richman

Guest Richman

It started on Sunday. Jack and I went to a classic car show and about half way through he started getting the big D. Over and over, and over again. Obviously there was not a lot to push out by then but he just kept trying. He also puked up balls of half digested grass. By Monday he couldn't keep water down. As soon as he drank some....out it came.

On Monday the vet says it is Gastroenteritis and prescribed: Metronidazole 250mg BID abd Chloramphenicol 50mg BID. He also advised no food for 48 hrs and gave us an electrolite solution to supplement water.

Today he seems to be feeling better, although he has puked up his water twice. He does seem to keep the electrolites down. No more efforts to poop today.

My question is....could this be caused by all the grass he has been eating?? Or something else alltogather??

Help. This is the first time he has been sick in the almost two years we have had him.

Guest chigal950

I'm not a medical person, but eating grass is usually a sign they are not feeling well, it is a symptom not the cause.

I hope he's feeling better soon.

Guest Spiff

I hope Jack feels better soon!!

Yesterday morning when Spiff was on his morning walk, he ate some dog poop. He promptly threw up 4 times after we went to work. Three times, of course, on the new carpets. :sick I think he feels better today.

When Spiff has an upset tummy, I usually make him some rice to mix in with kibble or some cooked chicken or something like that. It helps to just feed small amounts more frequently, rather than the normal full amounts at regular mealtimes.

Edited by Spiff

I wouldn't have thought the grass would cause it as many dogs eat it apparently just for the pleasure and not even always because they feel bad.....unless there is any chance the grass he ate could have been sprayed with something.

Sue from England

Guest K9_Lady

My Malinois "Arco" ate grass Sunday also but unfortunately it was ornamental grass :eek . He had the big D since Sunday evening but only vomited once. my vet also recommended keeping off of food for 24hrs. Last night I ended up taking him to the E-Vet and they had to give him IV's for fluids. He looked so sad with the camel humps on his shoulder/back area but the body uses those fluid sacs as needed and this morning they are almost down completely. He is now on a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice. They also gave him Metronidazole(Flagyl) Arco has Gallbladder and Gastric problems and they have been under control but eating the ornamental grass really took a toll on him. I understand that Jack just ate regular grass but you never know what could of been on it or in it. And they do eat grass if they have an upset tummy but all dogs are different and maybe it didn't agree with him. Arco rested well last night :yay so I hope he is on the road to recovery. Hope Jack feels better and maybe he needs to be Hydrated too. All the best!

Guest MomofSweetPotatoes

I too would call the vet, by now rehydration will be in order at the very least.

Edited by MomofSweetPotatoes

Guest meandmygreys

I'd call the Vet..He should of stopped yacking by now..

He will dehydrate with everything coming out both ends.

Guest LynnM

Vomiting AND diarrhea together are cause for a vet visit. Take his temperature.... if it's at all elevated, then head straight there, otherwise make an appointment for sometime today. These dogs dehydrated and spike a fever very, very quickly when this happens.

For future reference, when you do reintroduce fluids, offer him water in SMALL quantities... don't just fill the water bowl and let him have at it.

Lynn