What Is This Bug?

Guest jsullysix

The pest recently arrived in the U.S., most likely in shipments of used tires from Japan.

Now why are we taking used tires from Japan? Don't we have enough crap here in the USA?

What is the range of this newcomer?

To be fair, it was in 1985 that it was discovered continentally (Houston). They were in Hawaii before 1900. We were probably taking tires from Japan because land there is too pricey for disposal or recycling facilities to handle something as large and nasty as tires. See also:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asian_tiger_mosquito

Asian-Mosquito.gif

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

I remember those when I lived in Virginia Beach...yep, midday, all day...they're awful!

I'd heard they are most likely getting here by being shipped in all those lucky bamboo plants that you see everywhere...they are shipped in water, mosquito larvae and all.

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest SquanHound

Thankfully I haven't seen those yet (although I see NJ is on that map), but Ping gets bit up a lot by the mosquitos most summers. I recently bought Natural Defense at Petco and it has been great. It is a spray made of peppermint oil, cinnamon oil, lemon grass oil, thyme oil and eugenol and will help repeal the mosquitos (and smells pretty good to boot). So far it has worked really well. I have even used it on myself (figured its all natural so it why not).

I'll bet ahicks51 will know what it is! :rivethead

I'm no entomologist, but I play one on TV.

Asian tiger mosquito, fully engorged after eating a meal of blood. Saw 'em first when I stayed in Houston in '91. Aggressive.

mosquito.jpg

As for worrying, sure. Global warming, necrotic American credit, melamine in the food, a waxing full moon- I'm liberal, so I like to worry a lot about everything. But the heartworm prophylaxis will be doing its duty tonight. Can I get an 'amen'?

We have those little ba$tard$ here. AJ is right, it is an engorged tiger mosquito. I actually miss our old mosquito. These are SO much more aggressive than what we used to have. (they've essentially replaced the brownish mosquitoes that we used to have. The tigers are more aggressive, carry west nile, and also unlike the others, are out in broad daylight. UGH!!)

In vino veritas
Rachael with Rook, missing Sully, Sebau, and Diesel