the red meat he cant chew up the bones.

he has lost a few teeth over the years

so i was going to give him calicum pills does anyone know if it is ok

thanks

Edited by cowpantslady

Iris

www.ligc.org

Guest wmlcml6

When Sequoia broke her toe a couple years ago, I was given calcium pills... toe came back good as new. Soooooooooooo, I'm assuming it's ok :D

-Coach

Guest Tigonie

Assuming you plan to give the pills on the long term, you may want to check with your vet for the proper daily canine dosage and a recommendation about which brands (if any in particular) are better absorbed by a dog's digestive system.

You can give ground eggshell powder if you need a source of calcium. Rinse & dry the shells, then send them through a coffee grinder to make a fine powder. Raw feeders who don't feed bones give 1/2 teaspoon ground eggshell powder per pound of meat fed. If you are still feeding at least 1/2 kibble, you probably don't need to add calcium at all.

Eggs are an excellent food - you can soft boil them or feed them raw.

Edited by sweetdogs

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

You can give ground eggshell powder if you need a source of calcium. Rinse & dry the shells, then send them through a coffee grinder to make a fine powder. Raw feeders who don't feed bones give 1/2 teaspoon ground eggshell powder per pound of meat fed. If you are still feeding at least 1/2 kibble, you probably don't need to add calcium at all.

Eggs are an excellent food - you can soft boil them or feed them raw.

thanks going to do that !!!!

Iris

www.ligc.org

You'd better ask a vet. Over doing in calcium can cause serious heart problems from what I remember. There is also a calcium/phosphorus balance that has to be right. It also depends on what you are feeding. A home cooked diet, for instance, needs calcium added.

Natural Diet comments

OMH on minerals

Calcium - It's Role In Nutrition

From the Great Dane site:

I am not implying that one should supplement calcium to a diet because this can have adverse effects as well by disrupting the balance of the commercial food. (Calcium, Do I Supplement?) But I find it interesting there is much new research done in human nutrition regarding the effects of higher calcium diets and more usable calcium and its effects on reversing and/or preventing cancer in humans. Why would there not be a connection in animals as well?

Low Calcium Diets and Growth

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Also, keep in mind that older dogs don't need as much calcium - not sure how old your hound is. I definitely wouldn't be giving supplements like calcium just in case.

Why can't you feed chicken? Also, how about pork? It's a red meat and most of the bones are completely edible, unlike beef. Same with lamb, fish, rabbit, duck, etc.