Update On Bodie's Skin Condition

Guest Bodie

Guest Bodie

Bodie continues to make very slow progress. Ohio State University put him on Clavamox and the antibiotic does seem to be drying up his affected areas. They are no longer bright red and seeping and he is starting to walk on his worst foot again, although he still limps. My concern is that it doesn't seem to be curing the situation - only keeping it at bay. As soon as a scab heals and falls off, a new one forms. The dermatologic shampoo that was prescribed is also helping - he seems to find that very soothing to his affected areas. We see the new dermatologist/veterinarian on July10. Hopefully, he will be able to work with OSU to come up with a cure.

My biggest concern now is his toenails. They are getting very long, but because his feet are sore, he doesn't like to have them touched. Since this has been an ongoing problem, he becomes fearful the minute he sees a dremel or nail clippers. The last time we did his toenails, it took 3 of us to hold him down and he was still terrified even though I was very careful not to touch his affected areas or hurt him. Does anyone have any good ideas for "tranquilizing" a greyhound before doing toenails? I've tried giving him treats while doing it - he refuses them. The last time I gave him one of his favorite types of bones to chew on - he spit it out. We need to do something soon as I don't want him to catch a nail on something and have him break a toe, but I hate to put him (and us) through the agony of the toenail ordeal. By the way, I've also taken him to a groomer - it took 4 of us to hold him there - and the same thing at the vets when I asked them to do it. Any good tips on calming him or toenail trimming tips to make this less of an ordeal, would be appreciated

You must talk to a vet about meds before trying something because of his condition. I've used benedryl. Because of his condition, I might try 10-12 mg of ace, or perhaps valium, but again because of the seriousness of his condition, ask the vet what they think.

That said, Mahogany goes to the vet to get her nails done :rolleyes: She has to be sedated to remove corns and trim nails.

have you updated Ohio State by email?

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Guest Bodie
You must talk to a vet about meds before trying something because of his condition. I've used benedryl. Because of his condition, I might try 10-12 mg of ace, or perhaps valium, but again because of the seriousness of his condition, ask the vet what they think.

That said, Mahogany goes to the vet to get her nails done :rolleyes: She has to be sedated to remove corns and trim nails.

have you updated Ohio State by email?

Yes, I've been keeping Ohio State apprised of his condition. They have not responded with any comments. I'd be a little more confident in asking my vets if they were more greyhound oriented. There aren't many greys in my area - only 2 families in this practice - so when it comes to sedation, I worry that they might get the dosage wrong, although they haven't erred so far. I was hoping there was something more "natural" out there that is available for greyhounds. Something to relax him but not wipe him out.

Perhaps rescue remedy? It is available at a health food store. However, I think if it's taking that many people to hold him down, he needs a valium or ace.

When I picked up Ace for Tootsie, the vet had on there: 1 1/2 twice a day. They were 25mg pills! Needless to say we started with 1/2 and that is all she needs. If I would have given her 1 1/2 she would not have moved for 24 hours.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits