Worried About Silver

DH and I noticed a dime sized red spot on Silver's belly this morning with a thick small black dot in the center - I thought it was an imbedded deer tick. DH took him to the vet and as she was looking at it (ie. pulling it I guess) blood spurted out of it (and into her face :eek ). She found another small red area on his leg (no black center and has an inrregular shape. This made her wonder about his platelet count so she drew blood. Meanwhile he will go in on Monday to have the "black thing" removed assuming the blood work comes back okay. I'm not sure what to think about all of this. We lost our other grey to OS in March and I can't stand to think somethimg serious might be wrong with Silver. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Kim and Silver

<p>Kim and the hound - Rumor
Missing my angels Marlow, Silver, Holly and Lucky

Platelet numbers will be different for greys than other breeds.

http://www.gcnm.org/bloodwork.html

Platelets

Greyhound: 80,000 - 200,000

Other dog: 150,000 - 400,000

http://www.arizonaadoptagreyhound.org/heal...lood_tests.html

"Likewise, greyhound platelet numbers are lower on average than other breeds, which might be mistakenly interpreted as a problem. It is thought that greyhound WBCs, platelets, and total protein may be lower to physiologically “make room” in the bloodstream for the increased red cell load.

Compounding these normally low WBC and platelet numbers is the fact that Ehrlichia, a common blood parasite of greyhounds, can lower WBC and platelet counts. So if there is any doubt as to whether the WBC / platelet counts are normal, an Ehrlichia titer is always in order. The other classic changes with Ehrlichia are lowered PCV and elevated total protein. But bear in mind that every greyhound will not have every change, and Ehrlichia greyhounds can have normal CBCs."

http://www.vet.ohio-state.edu/2376.htm

"Greyhounds normally have lower platelet counts than non-Greyhounds. A platelet count as low as 80,000/μL can be completely normal in a Greyhound. A pathologic cause of low platelet counts in Greyhounds can also be a tick borne disease (TBD) or immune-mediated diseases. A complete physical examination and additional lab work recommended by your family veterinarian should yield additional information on whether your dog had a disease that causes low platelet counts."

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest argolola

Lola had the same thing. It would go down and come back. I never picked the middle off, so I don't know if it would spurt or not. The vet said no big deal, it's just a thing.

I will pray for Silver anyway.

Hi Kim,

It's good to hear from you, but not under these circumstances. I'm so sorry to hear you now have a worry about Silver. Nothing comes to mind right away from your description, but I will send all my healing thoughts. Please keep us posted about the lab work, etc. :goodluck:hope

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest trevdog

Trevor used to get one of these in the same spot all the time. It would go away and come back. I popped it one time(gross I know) and it seemed to go away quicker. I did eventually have the vet remove it, I can't remember what it was called but it was non cancerous. Hope that is what Silver is dealing with too. It didn't come back after he removed it either.

Thanks for the input everyone. Silver's blood work came back normal :colgate . When we took him in this morning to have the spot removed, it appeared to be clearing up so the vet felt it would be okay to just watch it for awhile. We are very relieved!

Cynthia, it was good to hear from you. My DS still talks about Princess - he met her at a playgroup and fell in love with her. Hope she is doing well!

Kim and Silver

<p>Kim and the hound - Rumor
Missing my angels Marlow, Silver, Holly and Lucky