Could This Be The Source Of Lola's Limp?

Guest argolola

Guest argolola

A few days ago, I found this "warty growth" on Lola's foot after she was licking it. She will go for days without limping, then we will walk somewhere and she starts limping again. Sometimes it's when she first gets up in the morning.

Any idea what this is and if it can be causing the limp?

Thanks GTers!

post-2911-1182623934_thumb.jpg

Guest argolola
Are you talking about the red spot not too far from your thumb? I wonder if it's one of those seed warts.

Yes, I tried to circle the spot on the pic, but it didn't take. Can a seed wart hurt?

Search for "seed wart" or papilloma in this forum; there have been several discussions on the subject.

They are certainly uncomfortable, if not painful. It seems likely that they are spread between animals- perhaps months or years before they get into adopted homes- spread by viruses related to the human papilloma viruses that cause genital warts. They are spread by contact, so dogs contract them at the track from walking in sand or other substrate contaminated by other dogs with warts.

The good news is that seed warts are treatable, although expressing them may be painful. Keep on hand plenty of povidone iodine when doing so to kill the virus as the warts are expressed, to reduce the chances of spreading them.

I wonder some days if the prevalence of corns in greys is due to papilloma viruses in the pads, while seed warts come from growth in areas adjacent to the pads. It would explain why corns seem to be so common in greys relative to other breeds.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest grey_dreams
I wonder some days if the prevalence of corns in greys is due to papilloma viruses in the pads, while seed warts come from growth in areas adjacent to the pads. It would explain why corns seem to be so common in greys relative to other breeds.

I've read about a potential link with papilloma virus from a few different sources. Here is the quote from the Greyhound Welfare webpage:

"It is not clear why corns form. There are various theories, but none has been proven. One thought is that a corn is caused by a foreign object imbedding in the pad, and the pad forming a hard callus around the object. Another theory is that greyhounds do not have enough fat cushion in their toe pads, and the corn is caused by pressure between the toe bone and pad. Finally, there is the belief that they are caused by some sort of virus. Given the response to antiviral medications post-removal, there seems to be a good deal of credence to this theory and it is widely accepted. According to Care of the Racing and Retired Greyhound :

The term “corns” covers two different abnormalities with common clinical signs. On the bottom of the toe pads, they are either fibrous scar tissue following traumas such as cuts, punctures or lacerations…or they are papillomas (warts)…The latter is the most common reason for “corns” and is caused by a virus…The pressure and abrasion of walking prevents the papilloma from growing normally on the surface of the body. As a result, a corn develops and is pressed in the deeper layers of the pad forming a white, flat, circular painful area."

Ace had something that looked like that and we lanced it like a zit and a chunk of hard stuff came out...I bet it's the same thing. She was licking it a lot and at first I thought she'd stepped on something and that it had abscessed. She was still walking just fine but I think hers was in a different spot than Lola's.

Good luck!

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest trevdog

I'm not sure what it is but I know t hese guys have very sensitive feet. The slightest little thing will cause great discomfort. Sending hugs to Lola that it goes away quickly.

I think my foster had one, I didn't mess with it nor did it bother her and I checked last night and it was gone.

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Guest taylorsmom

I just had a whole thread on this with my Rita's poor foot, and got lots of great help and advice! It looks like a seed wart to me. I highly recommend soaking it in Epsom salts and bringing it to a head in order to lance it as soon as possible. Once you open it up, make sure you get all the white stuff out until it bleeds, and it will bleed quite a bit. Then soak her foot for awhile in dilute Betadine solution to kill any remaining virus. There should be a kind of hole where the wart was, just keep that clean and dry and it should heal up really well with no pain afterwards. The sooner the better to get the stuff out, I delayed too long (I was a chicken about it, took her to my vet to get it expressed!!) and she developed a nasty secondary infection in her whole foot that took two antibiotics to get better!

Good luck!

Guest Redpack

Hope you find the solution! I don't have any experience, but had to comment on her tiny little foot! I have to 85-88 pound males and they have huge feet. Hers are cute and little...hope it feels better soon!