Greys On Steroids?

Guest hllb

Are good racers frequently put on steroids to improve their racing? I've heard they are, and wanted some info without searching on the web (I have no desire to see some of the abuse that I know goes on - knowing and seeing are two entirely different things!).

Guest wmlcml6

"I've heard they are." - :spoot

Greyhounds are tested after each race... 2 for each race, the winner and a randomly selected dog. If ANYTHING shows up in that test, be it something as benign as caffeine or as you've been "educated" about... steroids, the trainer and kennel is fined. If the offence is egregious enough, the trainer can and will be banned from ever holding a trainers license again.

The only thing racers are given...and it's just the females... is a small dose of testosterone given monthly to keep them from coming into season.

- Coach

Edited by wmlcml6

Guest KennelMom

What Coach said...and since he works in a racing kennel, he knows ;)

I have no desire to see some of the abuse that I know goes on - knowing and seeing are two entirely different things!

Interesting that you "know" it goes on. Course, I could show you some pics of abuse of pet greyhounds that would make you lose your lunch.

Interesting that you "know" it goes on. Course, I could show you some pics of abuse of pet greyhounds that would make you lose your lunch.

OK, I'm confused. Are you saying there isn't abuse in the racing industry? I didn't mean steroids - I meant other things. I clicked on a link once to see a dumpster full of dead greyhounds that had been euthanized at the end of their racing career (I didn't stick around on the site to find out how they were killed - I was looking for rescue groups). I consider that abuse. I know there are worse pics out there than the one I saw and I have no desire to see more.

Guest snowberry

I know from reading reports of official enquiries in the Uk and Ireland that it happens from time to time, but the people who do it are generally fined or banned from racing. The link below from the NGRC website explains what people were banned for (you might have to scroll down a bit to find steroids, caffeine is also a banned substance):

http://www.ngrc.org.uk/rec_inquiries.asp?cat=6&page=242

No nasty pictures, honest!

Guest KennelMom

OK, I'm confused. Are you saying there isn't abuse in the racing industry? I didn't mean steroids - I meant other things. I clicked on a link once to see a dumpster full of dead greyhounds that had been euthanized at the end of their racing career (I didn't stick around on the site to find out how they were killed - I was looking for rescue groups). I consider that abuse. I know there are worse pics out there than the one I saw and I have no desire to see more.

IMO & experience, there are more checks and balances for greyhound welfare in racing than there are once they become pets. I have seen abuse first hand at the hands of pet homes. I've seen happy, healthy dogs in racing kennels. Not to say there isn't abuse, just saying that it extends across the board - anywhere animals exist, there is a potential for abuse.

I'm glad you were able to have the steroids question cleared up.

....stepping out of the thread since AR/PR discussions aren't really encouraged. :P

Edited by KennelMom

....stepping out of the thread since AR/PR discussions aren't really encouraged. :P

Sorry, I'm new here. I didn't know there were specific topics off limits. Guess I should go back and reread the TOS. Sorry!

And yes, of course there is abuse everywhere - I never said there wasn't.

Guest KennelMom

Sorry, I'm new here. I didn't know there were specific topics off limits. Guess I should go back and reread the TOS. Sorry!

Sometimes the mods let 'em go...but they usually go downhill pretty quickly as everyone's passions are inflamed and the thread ends up getting locked. You can find acurate info about both sides of racing on the web. Some sites are complete bunk. Just read as much as you can, talk to as many people as you can and form an educated opinion. ;) If you ever have the opportunity to go to a racing kennel or greyhound farm, definitely do it!

Truthfully, I asked the question because I ran into my vet at the grocery store and told him about our new doggy. He's the one that said the "good" racers are usually on steroids so it was good that Nikki only raced a couple of times.

I was afraid everyone would yell at me and tell me to find a new vet if he was wrong...

Guest KennelMom
Truthfully, I asked the question because I ran into my vet at the grocery store and told him about our new doggy. He's the one that said the "good" racers are usually on steroids so it was good that Nikki only raced a couple of times.

I was afraid everyone would yell at me and tell me to find a new vet if he was wrong...

Well, he was wrong. But that doesn't mean he's a bad vet. The anti-racing crowd has been promoting their views for many, many years now. It's going to take time to debunk a lot of the mis-information. I had a lot of misinformation cluttering up my own brain...from adoption groups! Fortunately, I "saw the light" :lol

I've had to correct (or at least share a different experience/point of view) a vet at the practice we go to on a few things (not our primary vet, but one that we do see occasionally)...she's extremely knowledgeable about greyhounds and their health issues. Just not necessarily on the ins and outs of what happens before they race and what goes on in a racing kennel/laws that regulate the care of active racers.

Edited by KennelMom