One Year

rycezmom

What is it about the summer solstice? A time of change from one season to the next. It is seemingly also a time of loss. Too many seem to leave us for the bridge at this time of year. It heralds the beginning of summer, of growth, of warmth, of change.

It has been a year ago, a lifetime and just yesterday, that Ryce said goodbye to us, to spring, to pain, to his life with his family. His journey to the bridge was just as his life had been, quiet and dignified. Surrounded by those who loved him and those whom he loved and cared for..

He was an ordinary hound but an extraordinary canine being. He chose us as his family and we were blessed by that choice. He was the elder statesman for the family, reminding us daily that dignity and diplomacy were the watchwords for us as a pack. He lived his life with that dignity but was capable of silliness at times when the occasional playfulness struck him. He would then look around to make sure that nobody had seen him do it. We would pretend not to have noticed. He was the diplomatic ambassador, keeping peace when minor disagreements between hounds developed. He would correct with a gentle paw, a quiet bark or a stern snap.

He was also a teacher, instructing me on the ways of hounds, their likes, dislikes and the proper way they should be catered to by their humans. He taught me tolerance, patience, understanding and caring through his actions. He was gentle with the elderly of the family, not allowing a bump or a lean to inadvertently knock someone down. He seemed to sense the frailty of the elderly and challenged when coming into contact with them and afforded them his somewhat more reserved attention with gentleness.

He taught us manners. He was unfailingly polite, asking permission with a questioning look before taking a cookie or sniffing a butt. He would wait to be invited,always holding himself above the playful pushiness of the rest of the hounds.

He was always cognizant of the feelings of others. He instinctively knew when one was sad, happy, pensive or in pain and would care for you appropriately by giving gentle nudges, quiet comfort or acting as a nonjudgmental ear. His mannerisms and ways remain as a comfort to me. Coming over and quietly standing next to me in the night, looking out over the backyard, watching the current hounds of the household. He did it life and I feel him there next to me every evening still.

It is the summer solstice now and a year he is gone. It is a time of change. My grief has slowly transformed to feelings of gentle reflection on a life that was so exceptional to me. His life. I can think of Ryce without the pain of loss now. I have moved to a fondness of memory, a kinder inner peace at the loss of my extraordinary companion. His favorite stuffy zebra, placed under my pillow on the day of his journey to a new life at the bridge, now sits out on my night table where it is seen every day. His pictures abound in many rooms of this house. A reminder of love, companionship, caring, tolerance and understanding.

An uncommon hound, my heart hound, my Ryce....

post-10392-1182439692_thumb.jpg

100_0187a.jpg

Edited by rycezmom

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

Guest bowiebears

An extremely touching reminiscence of an obviously very special hound.

You have been so blessed by Ryce's presence in your lives, as many of us have been by the other hounds who've been part of our lives.

God speed all of them...

One day we will all meet again at The Bridge.

--Isaac

What a beautiful tribute to a noble prince. Send your family a beautiful Rainbow sweetheart. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

:grouphug

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

Guest IndysDad

What a beautiful and touching tribute, thank you for posting....

I think it says what a lot of us feel about our Bridge Angels

:cry1 What a beautiful, heartfelt tribute to your very special boy. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

:grouphug

CAMP GREYHOUND

Tempo (Keep the Tempo), Nora (Road Noise) & Gabe the babe (Gable Habenero), Cooper (Uncle Bud's Coop), Topper (Red Top), & Galgos Lisette & Manolito. Missing our beloved angels Cody (Kiowa My Dodie), Lou (Cantankerous Lou), Romi (FingerRoll), Connie (Devie's Concord), Millie (Djays Overhaul), Bailey (Hallo Forty nine), Andy (Iza Handy Boy, and Rocco (Ripley Rocco), Gracie (VS Megan), Eragon the Longdog, Joey (WJS Flashfire), Roy (Folly and Glory)

Ryce :wub:

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren