What's With All The Cancer?

Guest hllb

Can someone explain it or point me in the direction of some reading? It seems (at least from this board) that cancer is running rampant in greys. I did see a link somewhere that there's a study being done.

It's making me worried for my new baby! We just lost our schnauzer to cancer too, but at least he was 14 years old! The young dogs with cancer are scaring me!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BlackandBrindle

Large dogs have more bone, thus more chance of bone cancer- at least that is the way it's been explained to me... also, on this board, especially in this forum, you'll hear a lot about it as people are coming here for advice and support.

I do hate cancer though :(

Dr. Couto at Ohio State University has been conducting research on cancer in hopes of finding a cure/better treatments/ etc... Hope for Hounds is an organization started to help raise donations for just that cause.

Hope For Hounds

It really is hard to keep proper perspective when you read the H&M board here. But if you try to think of the number of all the greys who belong to Greytalk members, then count the ones who are affected by cancer, the percentage is less intimidating. It's also true that some folks will only post when they're faced with health problems, looking for advice or support. That's what H&M is for, and it's a blessing I've taken advantage of more than once. :)

I hate cancer too. It's brutal and hideous and uncompromising.

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Guest Pookie

Many greys lead normal healthy cancer free lives. But no one is coming here to look for help for their healthy dog. It does make it sound like every grey will get cancer, but really that isn't the case.

However while greys are generally healthy cancer is one of the more common diseases that they seem to be suseptible too. I've heard that osteo is just more common in long legged dogs unfortunately.

Cancer happens-- young or old, just as with people. Had one of my 7th grader students this year diagnosed w/a brain tumor... docs removed it, and it was malignant. :( Cancer sucks. Period. :(

In vino veritas
Rachael with Rook, missing Sully, Sebau, and Diesel

Guest chadmom

Here's a great web site with all kinds of info on Canine Cancer There's a list of all the research being done on canine cancer. Sadly, it really is a killer of all breeds.

Edited by chadmom

In all breeds cancer is on the rise and actually more so in cats that dogs. I heard one vet mention the use of pestisides and that dogs and cats are lower to the ground than humans, and of course, over vaccinating. It's good to see the AVMA introduce guidelines that include vaccinating less.

If I remember right, it's been said greys do get cancer more so than other breeds therefore the studies that are being done and have been done. As in humans, if you live long enough, you will get something. Few people (or dogs) die of old age.

I would not concentrate on the possibility but do what you can to protect -- less use of pesticides and not over vaccinating :)

Support the Hope for Hounds auction coming up next month is another way to help :D

If your grey has had cancer, fill out the form. I have to get the second spread sheet done for Dr. C and I don't have many dogs on it. People are not sending them in like they should.....

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Guest ss556

Well the whole cancer thing scares me for the greys as well as people. It's like every week you hear about someone or here on GT about another grey. It's very very depressing and scary.

Few people (or dogs) die of old age.

Yes, I agree with that completely. That's why I wasn't surprised when my 14 yr. old mini-schnauzer was diagnosed with hemangiosarcoma. But I was shocked to hear about Bella's DX of t-cell lymphomas at only 2.5 years old! And even more startled because she was on our list of dogs to meet to adopt (but we never got past Nikki). Of course cancer happens in young people (and dogs) but it certainly seems to be happening a LOT more often.

Guest KennelMom
I guess what's really concerning me is all the cancer in YOUNG dogs!

That's whats been bothering me lately. :( When I see 7, 8, 9 years old and cancer in the same post it really breaks my heart.

As hard as it is to accept, dogs - just like people - have to die from something. Mortality sucks. Having had to make the decision to put a dog down because of poor quality of life/aging I can tell you that it is just as hard, if not harder, than having to lose a dog to cancer or any other terminal disease.

I am very scared by cancer too. I read somewhere (can't remember where unfortunately) that 40% of greyhounds die from cancer of one type or another; 20% from osteosarcoma specifically. I lost a 6 year old to osteosarcoma last year and personally I found it especially difficult to lose such a young dog, as I couldn't console myself with the fact that he'd had a good long life :( . I have a 2 year old now, and hug him tight every day, just in case.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

Guest MorganKonaAlex

I've wondered the same thing having 2 of my 3 greys diagnosed with Osteo in 2006. They were 10 and 6 years old.

And have all you people filled out and emailed the survey form in the pinned topic?

The more information we can get Dr. Couto, the better chance we have of something being done! Right now, from what I can tell, there's not a whole lot to be done when a dog gets cancer. You can buy time, but not a cure at this point.

If I remember right, Dr. Couto did say that proportionately, greys do get more osteo than other breeds.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Guest GiJenn51

I've lost three animals in the last 6 months to cancer. Two greys-- one liver at 8, one bone, at 9. The kitty to throat cancer.

I'm at a loss... I wish I could just take them all and make them better. It's not fair to anyone.

The latest newsletter from the Morris Animal Foundation states that 1 in 4 canines will get cancer. That's 25%.

If I remember correctly, Dr. Couto stated in one of his lectures last year at Dewey, the 41% of the greyhounds die of osteo.

I lost an 8 yr old to hemangio. I have dogs number 3, 4, 5 and 6. I am just waiting for one of them to get osteo. There's no doubt in my mind one of them will have it because it is so prevalent and I have not benn hit with it yet. But, I do have to admit, that finally I have seniors. (I lost one at age 5 to liver disease)

I have two that will be 10 in October and one that will make it to 12 in Sept.

I've made Morris my charity of choice. And since I have no immediate family, they will get my estate as well.

Were I to donate it would be to Ohio State as they are greyhound specific. This may cause a furror, but Morris has been doing research and collecting money for research for as long as I have been in dogs and there have been no results from what I see in 35 years. Ohio State also has a greyhound wellness program that many greys benefit from.

There is no doubt that canine cancer is on the increase. Whether we see any results for treatment that works remains to be seen.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Guest MorganKonaAlex
And have all you people filled out and emailed the survey form in the pinned topic?

Is the study currently underway? That post was from Nov. 2005.

I will ask again, but the last time I asked I think he got money once from them.

Is the study currently underway? That post was from Nov. 2005.

You will notice posts at the end that are current. I sent him one spread sheet and would like to send another!

Edited by Burpdog

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

:( This is a very sad subject. Remember when you come to this particular forum, Health & Medical, you are going to be reading about sick or injured greyhounds. Try to keep that in perspective, and when it gets too much, take a break and go to all the other forums for a while.

I have had four greyhounds diagnosed with cancer, their ages were 6, 8, 11, and almost 13 when they went to the Bridge. The last non-greyhound I had was taken by cancer also, he was a beagle. :(

Yes we do see a lot of greyhounds diagnosed with cancer. Other breeds get cancer also, especially other long boned breeds. When I had one of my greyhounds at A & M University small animal clinic, they told me they see more boxers with cancer at the vet school clinic then other breeds. That was about three years ago. That probably varies depending on university location.

Sometimes some of us get into sort of a "debate" of sorts over the ever present questions of "am I spoiling my greyhound?" when it comes to food. My take on this subject is..... the only things I have control over with these gentle souls are what goes into them and their environment, and of course, keeping them safe. Because of that I see to it that they are not exposed to chemicals, and I give them what I feel are the best foods for them, and when I have a picky one, like my hearthound Molly was and like Renie is, I will find what they will eat that is healthy for them, and that they are happy to eat. I don't care if it is roast beef, baked chicken or ground round meatloaf like I used to make for Molly, or the BARF diet that my hounds are on now.

I don't know how long they will be with me, so I just want them to be content.

When DH goes grocery shopping with me and we get to the meat department, as I am putting meat in the basket he always asks "is that for me or the greyhounds?" It is usually for the greyhounds. :)

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg