Intro And Request For Help For Buzz

Guest murphybk

Guest murphybk

Hello all. I am new to the list and writing for advice. 6 days ago my husband took our 5 y.o. grey to the vet for routine teethcleaning, booster shot, nail trim, etc., all done under sedation. I returned from out of town 3 days ago and could tell she had lost weight and was not herself. Called the vet yesterday after she could not keep food down and started having liquid poops, and he put her on Eukanuba Low Residue food and metronizidole and endosorb. She is now not wanting to eat at all, refusing the Low Res food which she had previously liked and taking the meds only when coated with peanut butter which I am sure is not good for her gut. Any suggestions? I know I need to get her to eat, but what? Thanks so much for your help.

Jane Murphy

Is she on antibiotics?

I have had fosters that don't like to eat when taking them

Hope she feels better soon and welcome

edited to add:

I see she's taking meds so maybe add some stinky stuff to her food like tuna or jack mackrel

Edited by Wonder

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Antibiotics can tear their stomach up. Have you tried giving her Pepsid or Zantac?

I would give Zantac and give her anything she will eat, baked chicken, lean burger, whatever works. After she has the Zantac and food in her then give the meds.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Yup, antibiotics can do a number on the tummy, I know this from my own experience (yuck). Also, some dogs have bad after-effects of anesthesia, just like humans.

One thing that I would do is avoid doing vaccines and anesthesia procedures at the same time. Both can have side effects and in this case you don't know which is causing a problem, so you won't know which to avoid or be cautious of next time. Multiple vaccines given at once can also increase the side effect risk.

Some things that I would try feeding her is canned pumpkin (100% pumpkin with NO spices) - this will help to firm up stools. Also I don't know about your hound but my dogs love bread. If you can feed her a couple of slices of white bread it might help absorb the stomach acids and help her feel better. You can smear some peanut butter on the bread to make her a little sandwich too! :) Hopefully once she has something in her tummy and it hurts less she will eat for you. Try some canned food also (if you are feeding dry) - her toofers may be sore after the dental and soft food should help with that.

Call your vet.

Most dogs get on very well with metronidazole, a few don't. If you've got one of those few, your vet may want you to discontinue it or try another med.

Suggestions above are right on for helping her tummy feel better and getting her back to eating again.

Good luck!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest murphybk

Thanks for all your suggestions. She is now at the vet's again getting checked out and rehydrated with IV fluids.

Jane

Guest meandmygreys

:welcome2

I agree with the above..The rehydration should help her a lot !! I hope she feels better..please keep us posted.