Questions About Tendons

My boy Rascal had achillies tendon reconstruction last year at this time, in both back legs. They have healed wonderfully!

His Left leg/foot is perfect. His Right foot has some problems, and this is the reason I am posting.

The tendons going to Rascals toes are VERY tight. To the point that Rascal very rarely uses that foot. He wears a thera-paw 24/7 just so that he will use that foot. The toes are hiked up and basically he is putting his weight on the toe-nails!!! Here is the weird part: The vet said today, that he could CUT the tendon from the underside of the toes to release the toes from this very constricted position. He said that the toes could end up splaying out more than normal, but that he should be much more happy, pain free, and thera-paw free for the rest of his life. Rascal is 9 yrs young, and I fully expect his to live another 5 yrs! I'd hate to think that he is in pain for the remainder of his life with scrunched up toes!!!

So,, has anyone heard of, or seen anything like this?? Deliberatly cutting the tendons?

The vet said that his walking would be normal, the placement of the foot while walking would be normal, and that he could be sort of "Flat-Footed". It just seems very strange to think about Cutting the tendons and leaving them that way. I just spent $$$ repairing the achillies tendons (instead of PTS), and now I am thinking about deliberatly cutting the tendons under his toes! :omg

Both Rascal and I thank you for your insite! :blush

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

I haven't heard of it, but it makes sense. If it were one of my dogs, I would trust the vet on this one, especially since Rascal did so well from the achillies surgery. It must be very uncomfortable for him now.

I think of you and Rascal often.

Edited by Chicocat

Ann

NewSiggy09b.jpg

Bumb , just in case someone has any information and didn't see this yesterday :D

Thanks!

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Guest sheila

I'm not sure about dogs but I have a niece that was born with some congenital condition in her feet that caused them be curled up (club foot?) I believe one of the operations she had was cutting the tendons in order for her feet to straighten out and she recovered and walks normally now.

Guest LynnM

Physical therapy can help a bit- passive range of motion exercises/stretches along with swimming made a lot of difference for Whyte (she had the same reconstruction that your dog had). Sliming the area with DMSO helped quite a bit, too.

I'd work at that before attempting something more drastic.

Lynn

Thanks for your information!

Rascal did go through about 4 months of physical therapy, in the water tank, walking , not swimming. and had lots of massages and ROM stretching etc. I also did the stretches on my own with him for the next several months.

I don't know what DMSO is.?? I will try everything before going ahead with the the drastic surgery. He also gets all the supplements I can think of...

At least this isn't an Emergency thing. I can take the wait/do more stretching and see approach.

That will give my pocket book time to refill too. :blush