Sophie Couldn't Get Her Chemo Today

Guest JohnnyBell

Guest JohnnyBell

Sophie was supposed to have her 2nd chemo treatment today but after I dropped her off the vet called and said her white blood cell count was to low to administer it.I wonder why???I understand the chemo does that but it's been 2 weeks since her last treatment shouldn't they be back up again?We are going to try again next week.Hopfully she's ok,she's acting fine.Has this ever happen to anyone?

Guest Kipsmom

Chemo kills everything. I know its different for people but when I went through it I went every 3 weeks and they always checked my white blood count. They don't produce as fast as we'd like to think and also they are trying to fight the illness as well as being killed by Chemo. It happens occasionally that a treatment will have to be put off a week. If they do it too soon with no white blood cells it could make things a lot worse.

Yep. We elected not to do another chemo but if we'd wanted to, we'd've had to wait. We had antibiotics meanwhile.

Dogs' symptoms don't respond to chemo in completely predictable fashion. Docs may want to adjust the dose a little bit if it takes longer than average for your pupper's white count to come back up.

Hugs and luck to your brave girlie.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I've heard it can take longer for some dogs to have WBC in the right range. I noticed that you mentioned Sophie had chemo just two weeks ago -- they have Snickers on a three-week cycle. Maybe Sophie just hasn't had enough time in between the treatments.

Hugs to both of you.

Aero: http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?d=kees+uncatchable; our bridge angel (1/04/02-8/2/07) Snickers; our bridge angel (1/04/02-2/29/08) Cricket; Kanga Roo: oops girl 5/26/07; Doctor Thunder http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?z=P_31Oj&a...&birthland=