Is This Cut/bruise Vet-worthy?

Guest fastdog

Guest fastdog

Our dogs run around like crazy in our fenced in back yard, and it is not unusual to have some minor cuts or the occasional limp. However, this cut looks a little angry, and the area around it is red.

Does this look vet-worth, or do you recommend a wait-and-see approach? It's Wednesday now, so I just don't want to wait until the weekend...

Based on the scabbing, it looks like its been there for a few days. When I was brushing Lilah's teeth the other night, I noticed the redness on her right hind leg, but didn't notice the scab a that point. Is the redness around the area a concern? Not sure if that's a result of her maybe licking it all day...

lilahs_leg.jpg

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Guest lat41065

I personally would clean it with antibacterial soap and water and apply antibiotic ointment daily. seems to me the redness is from the trauma to the tissue not infection. If it is not hurting then it probably isnt infected as true infection is quite painful.

Guest greybookends

If it's been there a couple of days and it's not pussy than most likely if you clean it and put some antibacterial spray or ointment on it and just keep an eye on it , it will be fine.

What the folks above said. :)

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest fastdog

Thanks for the advice! I put some antibiotic ointment, gauze and vetwrap (and bitter yuck spray on the vetwrap) on it this morning. I suspect the gauze and vetwrap will be off by the time I get home after work, but at least it'll have a couple hours to "sink in" before she gets it off.

If I had a cut that looked like that, I'd just clean it up and move on; somehow when it comes to the dogs, I'm just a little more paranoid...

I wouldn't wrap it. Wounds heal better when air can get to them. If you're worried about her working on it when you're not there, you could use an e-collar (they make soft ones that aren't quite so torturous) or a muzzle with poop guard. It's only temporary so she'll survive wearing either. ;)

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Looks like it's already started to heal, and I agree that the redness is just from the initial scrape probably. I would clean it and leave it open to air so that it will heal faster, unless you notice that she licks it so much that it doesn't have a chance to scab over. I know when I wrap up a wound on either of my dogs they are a lot more likely to bother it than if I leave it open. Hope it heals soon!