Dawn?

Guest robingrey

Yes.

ETA, yes it is crazy. Use one of the Adams shampoos or similar that says it is safe for puppies.

Edited by Batmom

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Ctomt
Yes.

ETA, yes it is crazy. Use one of the Adams shampoos or similar that says it is safe for puppies.

I work in the motorcycle indusrty. We highly steer our customers away from "dishwash." It removes any protective "wax" finish. As for our dogs, "dishwash" is also degreaser! It will remove protective coating from the dog's coats. NOT to do. I like the Adams suggestion ... read the labels of what ever You choose a non harsh, mild SAFE shampoo for your pup or any dog for that matter.

Tom

Our "spoiled" Rossi gets only the most mild of shampoo & many times just warm water ... (oh, how can you spoil a GH), not possible, to date our's passes on so to us so much "love & affection."

Maybe she's seen the commercials about saving the birds from the oil spill. I wouldn't use it on a dog though

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Dawn and other dishwashing soaps are commonly used on dogs and cats as a way to get regular flea preventatives off. If an animal has a reaction to a product like Frontline, normal soap and water usually won't get that oily product off. So if you use Dawn, it cuts through it and removes the whole product. I don't think it would do anything to prevent fleas at all though.

Guest Kipsmom

Actually it's NOT crazy. :) There is a homemade flea and critter spray using Dawn that a lot of people i know use in their horse barns and patios to keep fleas, mosquitos and others away. Works wonders. So no, it's not as far fetched as you'd think. It's probably safer in that it doesn't have harsh chemicals in it and we eat off of plates that are washed with it so couldn't be all that bad.

Guest robingrey
Dawn and other dishwashing soaps are commonly used on dogs and cats as a way to get regular flea preventatives off. If an animal has a reaction to a product like Frontline, normal soap and water usually won't get that oily product off. So if you use Dawn, it cuts through it and removes the whole product. I don't think it would do anything to prevent fleas at all though.

Ahha! This she cannot argue with. It will take off his flea medicine! So sorry, MIL.

Oh, and you're right Daisydoodle, she did reference it's use in oil spill clean up as background information.

Edited by robingrey

Very dilute solutions of dish washing detergent can be used as a wetting agent, but if you've ever worked in a Viral Microbiology lab and seen what regular household detergent can do to an unborn emryo in a couple of minutes, you wouldn't want it touching yours or your animal's skin unless absolutely necessary.

Guest LynnM

A shampoo for dogs, especially pups, would be preferable, but there's no harm in using dish soap (I'm not talking about something like Power Dissolver... just regular dish soap). Aside from fragrances, there's very little difference between a basic dish soap, shampoo and body wash. There have been plenty of times I've been confronted with a filthy (like to the point of uncomfortable) dog and used what was on hand (dish soap). It's better than nothing, and won't hurt anything, but yes, a dog shampoo is going to be better (especially if you accidentally get any near their eyes).

Lynn

Guest luckydog

Dawn (and water, in a bowl) is great to drown the fleas you've caught when you've used your flea comb on the dog. But not on the dog itself. :P

My MIL wants us to use Dawn in lieu of flea shampoo on our foundling puppy. Is this as crazy as it sounds?

Completely off topic, but I missed this, a puppy?

Colleen with Covey (Admirals Cove) and Rally (greyhound puppy)
Missing my beloved boy INU (CJ Whistlindixie) my sweetest princess SALEM (CJ Little Dixie) and my baby girl ZOE (LR's Tara)

Guest robingrey

Yes :blush : Linky

I'm so bad, no pics yet! :(

Oh, per the vet, R.D. is/has:

No worms

10 weeks old

weighs 12.5 lbs

"going to be a good-looking dog"

the vet also said he thought that he had his brother in the back. Someone brought him in b/c he'd been hit by a car. Apparently someone went around the county putting out puppies! :angryfire

Oh- and we did/do have puppy shampoo. She wants us to use the Dawn (and went out and bought us some to be sure we'd use it) because she says it's better than the shampoo made specifically for puppies! :riphair

Edited by robingrey

Guest GunnyGirl

Actually, in extreme circumstances (loaded with fleas; oily/greasy coats; very dirty) we would use a small amount of Dawn dish washing soap on dogs when I was a groomer. We made sure to follow up with a good conditioner. We never had any problems.

I wouldn't use it on a regular basis as it can be rather harsh, but its not something that is going to hurt the dog/puppy.

I have to tell you guys that Dawn does indeed kill fleas. It is not supposed to be used always. kill the fleas and then take the measures to prevent them. Also many groomers use Dawn (or Dawn like products) on small dogs like yorkies who get really greasy. Cocker spanials are also a bit greasy and somehow produce some nasty black water when bathed.. I use it on Cosmo's ears when bathing, and the top of his head. Little dogs with hair (not fur) get really greasy due to food and peoples hand oils. Hasn't hurt any dog that I know of yet. I also condition Cosmo, the groomer does not. Do protect the eyes, I put an ointment in Cosmos eyes before bathing.

"To err is human, to forgive, canine" Audrey, Nova, Cosmo and Holden in NY - Darius and Asia you are both irreplaceable and will be forever in my heart beatinghearts.gif