Tbd, Doxy, Upset Stomach....

Guest Matt

After 3 1/2 uneventful years of having a grey (Gromit) we're having problems. Lack of appetite and energy, lethargy, just not himself. Negative for lyme and ehrlichia, waiting for the Babesiosis and RMSF results, all other bloodwork and tests normal. Energy level dropping more, limping on one walk.

The RMSF test came back with a weak positive, we started doxycycline. Had to really entice Gromit to eat -- chicken and some canned food along with the kibble. He just barfed up the whole meal -- I'm heading out to get some more chickens to cook. Any suggestions for what to do if the doxy continues to upset his stomach?

Check with your vet as to stronger stomach meds, but here we get by with:

Give one 10mg (regular strength) Pepcid.

Wait @ 30 minutes.

Feed meal or large snack if it isn't mealtime.

Give antibiotics.

If I have to give antibiotics more often than regular mealtimes, I scant their meals a little so they can have a good big snack at other pill times -- a generous half cup kibble or canned food, a slice or two of bread, a handful of dog biscuits, something along those lines.

Hugs and luck.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

you are feeding him BEFORE he gets the Doxy? It can make him very nauseous without food first.

"To err is human, to forgive, canine" Audrey, Nova, Cosmo and Holden in NY - Darius and Asia you are both irreplaceable and will be forever in my heart beatinghearts.gif

That sound you heard was me slapping myself in the head. The vet had mentioned Pepsid, I even wrote it down so I wouldn't forget. But when he threw up I panicked, thinking "how will he ever keep the doxy down?" I forgot about the Pepsid. Anyway, I've been following Batmom's regimen and Gromit has kept breakfast and dinner down. And I was greeted at the door tonight by my greyhound running to see me -- I haven't seen that for a few weeks! I'm afraid to get too optimistic, but it does look like a very fast response to the doxy.

Up to now, Gromit has been very easy, no problems or crisis -- this mystery illness really shook me up. I'm so grateful to this site, my vet's usually pretty Grey-savvy but he has not wanted to consider TBDs, but once we had the (slight) positive on RMSF (Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever) I insisted on the doxycycline -- I wouldn't have known to do that without this resource.

So progress, improvement, enormous relief -- many thanks to you all.

Sending prayers and gentle ear scritches for Gromit. :hope

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg