Any Suggestions On How To Bandage The Rib Area?

Guest greyhounder

Guest greyhounder

There was a little scuffle early this AM.. DH checked on them but since there were no yelps, he (wrongly) assumed no-one was hurt.

I just noticed a wound on one of my girls about the size of a nickel.. nothing too serious.. I cleaned all the fur from around it and washed away the matted blood. I disinfected it and applied EMT gel.. but she want to lick it.. I muzzled her to allow the EMT gel to dry but I know that won't work for long. It's in an awkward area; on her ribs about 4 inches below the spine area..

I will put a T-shirt on her but I still would like to cover it for a couple days.. Any tricks? Special tape that magically sticks to fur?

Edited by greyhounder

Guest KennelMom

Yep. T-shirt and water therapy twice a day. That's what we did for Scout. Also, bag balm to the area after the morning water therapy.

Guest LynnM

Louis just healed up from a very similar injury. First off, you need to clip the fur around the wound (the Wahl Peanut is a good, cheap mini-trimmer). Clean it, apply EMT Gel or Cut-Heal, and then get some Fooey or other non-stinging bitter/taste-bad spray.

A little licking isn't a huge deal (never underestimate the healing power of dog spit! J/K), but obsessive licking is. Chances are good that a taste of Fooey will be enough to convince her that licking isn't worth it.

Lynn

Guest greyhounder

Could someone please clarify exactly what is involved in water therapy?

I searched for it and found a lot of references to it, but no definitions. Thanks!

Guest LynnM

It's just a fancy way of saying "put the hose on it". For a superficial wound like what you describe, I don't bother. I keep a spray bottle of dilute Nolvasan on hand to use as necessary.

Guest greyhounder

Second round of water therapy complete.. The boo-boo still looks good.. its triangular in shape with a small 'flap' that looks like it will probably shrink up..