Let's Call It What It Is Instead Of "hotspot"!

Guest Dinabird

Guest Dinabird

I think it would be good if we began a new tradition of naming things what they are. Like just saying skin infection or fungus instead of "hotspot" I think it would make it easier to get clear information and medical suggestions if we were clear. I imagine the term hotspot started years ago when people were more squeamish about such things but this is 2007! I am new to Greyhounds, well it has been about a year now since Kay came to live with me and it took me quite a while to figure out what a "hotspot" might be because there are many conditions that fall under that category.

Veterinary sites seem to use the term Pyoderma and there are many different types all requiring different treatment. I think it would be helpful if, like gardeners, we began to try and use specific terms when we talk about medical stuff - what do you think?

Dinabird

I think this forum is very good about helping people identify what their dog's problem might be. In many cases, the original poster might not know what to call it or their vet might not be able to put a precise name on the problem right away.

Very often when people post here, they're looking for additional information or education. I don't think we're a squeamish bunch, but you until you know the right term, you can't use it. That's why posting pictures is so helpful.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Not everyone has a name or word for what they are experiencing. When you feel a spot on your dog that is "hot" ... what's wrong with calling it a "hotspot"? When Atlas had his rear end chewed to pieces... even my vet referred to it as a hotspot. It was an allergic reaction caused by his food, in the end, but we didn't know that for 3 months.

Lets be honest... not all of us have had any anatomy or veterinary courses.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Actually, pyoderma is not such a big help either........in fact I think it could be more misleading than hotspot.

Pyo = pus

Derma = skin.

You can had a red irritated patch on the skin that is not pus filled.

But as a whole I think this forum gets pretty darn down and gritty in trying to find the correct terminology for something. It's very helpful. (especially the white lights and prayers! :rolleyes: )

Guest Che_mar_Cody
I think this forum is very good about helping people identify what their dog's problem might be. In many cases, the original poster might not know what to call it or their vet might not be able to put a precise name on the problem right away.

Very often when people post here, they're looking for additional information or education. I don't think we're a squeamish bunch, but you until you know the right term, you can't use it. That's why posting pictures is so helpful.

I agree - very nicely said

I think the term "hot spot" is actually quite descriptive and normally refers to an area of infection that is red, moist and often painful. If someone says their dog has a hotspot I know it isn't just some red bumps on the skin. I think its use is very appropriate.

Bill

Lady

Bella and Sky at the bridge

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." -Anabele France

FeemanSiggy1.jpg

I think the term "hot spot" is actually quite descriptive and normally refers to an area of infection that is red, moist and often painful. If someone says their dog has a hotspot I know it isn't just some red bumps on the skin. I think its use is very appropriate.

I agree. :)

When Cody Angelo had a hot spot that is what Dr. Beth called it...a hot spot! :)

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest LynnM

Agree with Dr. Bill that it's totally appropriate. It's commonly used and recognized even among staff at a clinic... it's not just an owner euphamism. If you think "hot spot" is bad, you should hear some of the names we (both lay staff and the vets) had for conditions when I worked for a clinic. Some of them (Apalachicola Anal Glands comes to mind- that's impacted anal glands- they smell like dead fish, or Apalachicola Bay at low tide) were very descriptive but probably unrecognizable to anyone that wasn't local.

Lastly, when it comes to describing a condition- whether it's your animal's to a vet or your own to a doctor, use whatever vocabulary you are comfortable with in describing the problem. That INCLUDES slang, "looks like", "smells like", etc. Draw pictures of the affected area if it helps. They KNOW you're not a vet or schooled in anatomy. They don't expect you to know all the terminology. If you give your healthcare provider as much information as possible, it's more likely that the problem will be diagnosed quickly and correctly the first time.

Lynn

Guest Shermanator

Actually, Sherman currently has what one might call a 'hot spot.' :pepper He has a section of his leg, that he licks, and licks, and licks, and licks, and licks, and licks, oh and did I say he licks? ARGH :headwall (He's fine - its an ongoing saga- the booboo heals, itchs, he licks it, it opens, he licks, we bandage, it heals, on and on.

I prefer to call it, 'eating his leg off.' :) Hee hee. The vet looked at me like I was nuts. :blink:

Actually, Sherman currently has what one might call a 'hot spot.' :pepper He has a section of his leg, that he licks, and licks, and licks, and licks, and licks, and licks, oh and did I say he licks? ARGH :headwall (He's fine - its an ongoing saga- the booboo heals, itchs, he licks it, it opens, he licks, we bandage, it heals, on and on.

I prefer to call it, 'eating his leg off.' :) Hee hee. The vet looked at me like I was nuts. :blink:

Totally off topic, but have you tried chiropractic? A friend of mine's grey had the same issue and I referred my chiro to her - problem solved :) Apparently, there was some impingement in a nerve in the neck that caused a tingling sensation in the leg. Something to consider, anyway.

Back to your regularly scheduled topic...

Edited by turbotaina

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest Kipsmom

What is it with everyone and termonology? If it changes the meaning... yeah ok correct them, but if it doesn't change the meaning and it's just another word for it... I don't see what the big deal is.

Oh Boy -- does this bring to mind the infamous "hohoo thread". Cracks me up every time. Especially Greenstgreys answer in post #21...

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php?showto...0&hl=Hoohoo

:lol I somehow missed that one...

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest Greensleeves
Actually, pyoderma is not such a big help either........in fact I think it could be more misleading than hotspot.

Pyo = pus

Derma = skin.

You can had a red irritated patch on the skin that is not pus filled.

Agreed--this webpage shows photographs of two *very* different pyodermas:

http://www.vetinfo.com/dppyoderm.html

The first one is what I'm familiar with as a "hotspot," and the second one looks absolutely nothing like it. But both are technically pyodermas.

Guest LynnM

The one thing we were particular about at the clinic was to use the word, "Purulent" when describing an infected discharge from a wound. Writing out what we'd normally say could actually be confusing (Pu**y Discharge). Yes, enough slang is used that to read that in a chart, some folks would wind up looking for something wrong at the back end of the dog.

Lynn

Oh Boy -- does this bring to mind the infamous "hohoo thread". Cracks me up every time. Especially Greenstgreys answer in post #21...

:lol I had forgotten that thread, thanks for bringing it back. :lol

The term "hot spot" has been around for six decades that I know of. It used to be used when describing mange.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Let's make a deal - you call it what you want to call it, I will call it what I want to call it. No need to be judgmental or supercilous. If someone doesn't understand, they will ask nicely. That's the way we do things here.

Mary in Houston

Everyone has a photographic memory, but not everyone has film.

LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

Guest loveagrey
I think it would be good if we began a new tradition of naming things what they are. Like just saying skin infection or fungus instead of "hotspot" I think it would make it easier to get clear information and medical suggestions if we were clear. I imagine the term hotspot started years ago when people were more squeamish about such things but this is 2007! I am new to Greyhounds, well it has been about a year now since Kay came to live with me and it took me quite a while to figure out what a "hotspot" might be because there are many conditions that fall under that category.

Veterinary sites seem to use the term Pyoderma and there are many different types all requiring different treatment. I think it would be helpful if, like gardeners, we began to try and use specific terms when we talk about medical stuff - what do you think?

Dinabird

If you read past posts, you'll see that the OP may not know what to call it, but though discussions etc. on the board, once everyone has pitched in with some advice or whatever, the "mystery hot spot" always develops a more anatomically/medically correct name. I don't think it's that people are trying not to use the proper terminology, but more so that they may not have the knowledge base or vocabulary. In all my 40 years with dogs and horses, hotspot was always a perfectly acceptable term anyway, with lay folks as well as veterinarian staff! :)

Guest snakes

"hotspot" is often used around here with dogs that get reddened areas usually around thier elbows. It isn't an infection, pussy, and usually not painfull. It results from when the dog lays on hard surfaces (Especially cooling off in hot summer weather) and rubs thier elbows getting up or down.

I know some people swear by bag balm, but only if the dog doesn't lick it off.

:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

That was my first thought too :lol

gallery_11362_3294_17365.png
"Hurricane Sandi" (Baurna to Run).

Forever missing my "Angel-With-A Crooked-Halo" Hailey, and "Mokkah" (Xpress Point) with all my heart.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." ~~Will Rogers

Oh, I think hoohoo is a *completely* different matter!

Actually, in some cases the OP probably has a good point. Hot spot just happens to be a tough one because so often you *don't* know what causes them.

In contrast, everyone knows what a hoohoo is. Except when they don't, and that's a good time to ask.

Edited by Batmom

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.