Slippery Elm

we have some shrubs/small trees growing on the fence line that I periodically cut back. Poodle and Buck occasionally graze on one in particular but I've never given it much thought, except to notice that they never throw up afterward.

When we were in Abilene and Buck was upset he made a beeline to a similar plant and started grazing like a cow, ripping leaves off with gusto. I asked our host the next day what it was and he said it was a small elm of some kind. Turns out the grazing plant of choice is slippery elm which is good for digestion. Odd how they know what to go for.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

I read about that when reading up on Nsaid's

http://vettechs.blogspot.com/2005/08/misop...ing-nsaids.html

"The herb slippery elm might also be worth considering, although it's not clear if it actually helps heal the gut, simply provides some protection to the intestinal lining, or only serves to make the dog feel better. Slippery elm, the inner bark of ulmus fulva, is a soothing, gelatinous substance that has traditionally been used for the treatment of ulcers. It is also used for sore throats and skin irritations. Slippery elm is an extremely safe herb and is actually used as a food. It is sold in bulk in health food stores, as well as in capsules and as a tincture. It's slightly sweet so most dogs will eat it readily, but it can be given in capsule form or as a tincture if necessary. A veterinary product exists called Phytomucil."

"To err is human, to forgive, canine" Audrey, Nova, Cosmo and Holden in NY - Darius and Asia you are both irreplaceable and will be forever in my heart beatinghearts.gif

I've done a lot of reading about animals ‘self-medicate’, searching out certain plants, herbs, shrubs and trees to treat specific ailments or nutritional deficiencies. It is really fascinating and has been observed and documented for centuries. People who have pasture animals (horses, cows, goats, etc.) have noted again and again how they will instinctively seek out what they need. For example, I read that " ... immediately before and after calving cows seek out nettles as a readily available source of iron; docks, normally ruthlessly sprayed out as a sign of an ‘untidy’ pasture, are selected by animals needing a boost in minerals or trace elements such as copper, and animals that have bruised or strained muscles in a fall or during horse-play will eat willow leaves: their equivalent of knocking back a couple of aspirin. "

Many natural remedy formulas were put together based on these observations over the years. Cool, huh?

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest harthounds

That is really cool. I had great success using slippery elm drops when Jake had a chronic cough. Jackie is making a beeline for the sunflowers right now...I wonder what properties they have....

So a quick question. When Artemis begins chemo, could we give her slippery elm instead of Pepsid?

That's a good question. I've read some stuff by Dr. McDowell who treats animals and people with herbal preparations. A Google search turned up this article LINK re: herbal support during chemotherapy.

I do know that supporting the liver is vitally importance in assisting the body to fight cancer and he recommends various herbs for liver cleansing and support.

ETA additional information

Edited by galgrey

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown