Depressed?

Guest MyGreyAster

Guest MyGreyAster

I'm worried these days about Aster, she seems to be getting sadder and sadder. I thought we'd gotten to a good place after the birth of our daughter last March 2006, but since we moved to a new house in May, she seems to be getting down again. She prefers to stay up in our bedroom where her bed is ALL day (she used to sleep in our closet at our old house, her choice). My daughter is now almost 15 months and fairly aggressive in trying to "play" with Aster, and I know this has to be one reason Aster now spends 99% of her time upstairs. I want to have her downstairs so I can make sure she is getting enough attention, but I don't want to force it on her! She's not been getting her daily walks - she has this great backyard, and I've gotten really lazy about walking her because of that. And for awhile, before we moved, she was very pushy about getting attention, which meant she got lots of attention. Now she doesn't even seem to care.

I don't know what I should be doing/what I'm doing wrong. Is it wrong to try to keep her downstairs? My husband has suggested leaving the baby gate shut so she can't go upstairs. I think that would be mean as the upstairs is her retreat, and our daughter can't follow her up. Should I be giving her daily walks, not so much for exercise (she runs all the time in the back yard) but just for the attention?

We are considering adopting a second greyhound, fostering first to make sure it works out okay - I think it would be good for Aster to have another dog around, my husband isn't sure he wants to have another dog.

I am feeling like such a bad dog parent, and I don't know what to do to make things better! HELP!!!!

Guest neworleansmama

I'm so sorry you are going through this just when you should be having total happiness with your new child and new house. My two cents--I am a firm believer in at least one daily walk for the dogs' mental health. Our two absolutely require a daily walk on leash for a total reset of their brains. Cesar Milan, regardless of whatever else you think of him, is absolutely right on this point. You might all enjoy a jogging stroller--they can often be found inexpensively on craigslist.

Also could you buy her another bed for upstairs and move her favorite bed downstairs? Then she'd have a good reason to be with you wherever you are?

Good luck with both your girls.

Guest PiagetsMom

I agree about the walks.....the backyard is not the same as a daily walk which can be good "quality" time for you and your pup. We've also got two identical beds for Piaget here....one in our bedroom and one in our living room. Most of the day she'll spend with me, and in the evenings, the family, and at night, she goes straight to her bedroom bed when it's "lights out". At times, we have babygated the bedroom to keep her in the front of the house before bedtime (more b/c once she's settled in for the night she's very hard to get out to do her business) however, we don't have any little ones around here for her to escape from.

Guest simile

Walking with dog and baby is a good bonding experience for you and dog and baby and dog. It'll give you and your grey girl a chance to connect/reconnect, and it'll give Aster a chance to be with your daughter in a very controlled way.

have you had her tested for babesia? depression was the first sign of phene's babesia. it is a tick borne disease that often lies dormant and becomes symptomatic following a significant experience, such as adoption or a move.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest smarthound

Even a short walk would be good stimulation for her. Getting out of the yard where there are different sights and smells can be very helpful. Plus, exercise is a good for depression.

Hope she cheers up soon.

Guest trevdog

I also agree, those daily walks are good for them, not just for exercise, but mental stimulation. I would do both walks and backyard play, that's what I currently do with my two even with 4 acres to run in, they still enjoy the daily walk. I'm sure a new friend would help her too but fostering first would be the way to go. I would not limit her access to the upstairs either, it's a safe place for her to go to get some time away from the toddler.

Guest Che_mar_Cody

You got some great advice - walks are very beneficial to mental health. Like above get her involved with your baby...walks together are perfect.

I think you need to get the "spark" back into her before looking into another dog. If she's depressed because of not getting attention, this could add to it. Mine does this when I doggie sit...he's not getting the attention, but when they leave it's just us. His whole body wiggles and his eyes sparkle like a puppies.

Your going to have to pay attention to another dog, especially if just coming into the household, and honestly it sounds like you have lots on your hands without the extra dog at this time. Consider it when you baby gets older.

You can always change treats too. When Cody seems down, I'll buy his favorite cookie or give him his favorite food (usually raw) but this is just my pup. If you don't feed raw give her a peanut butter kong..you remember her favorite.

Could be she's bored too. Different toys, rawhide and food can stimulate her as well.

I love the bed idea, and it does work. I take Cody's favorite bed lots of different places. If this doesn't help after a week, I agree with RobinW - see a vet

Keep a log of her actions so you can see what is working - record her moods for use in the future. Sounds funny, but it is a useful too to have.

Yup, I agree with the others - plenty of leash walking (though it's been hot the last few days) to get her mentally stimulated. Also, do some fun trainging exercises with her so that you're spending some quality time aside from walks (and particularly when it's too hot outside to really enjoy a walk). If she's food motivated, give her one of those tricky treat balls to play with as well.

I'd really refrain from a second dog right now. If you've not been walking Aster and giving her regular attention, two dogs may be too much, you know? Babies take A LOT of work and you'd have to supervise two dogs around a child that's just becoming mobile, wants to explore and has no idea that the family dog may not appreciate his/her advances. Moreover, would you really have the time and patience required to help a new greyhound adjust to home life?

Also, definitely follow RobinW's advice and have a tick panel done, preferably through NC State. When I saw your topic heading, my first thought was "TBD", before I'd read your post. It's always good to rule out.

Good luck and I hope Aster is back to herself soon. :grouphug :grouphug

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Nothing new to add....but another "vote" for walks at least every other day. It will be good for your health too! If you can take you daughter with you on the walk it will be great for everyone. I also don't think this would be the best time in your life to add a second dog if you are finding it hard to spend time with the one you already have. Dog, while they enjoy the company of other dogs, also crave human interaction so I don't believe that adding a second dog would "solve" any problems. Best of luck, it sounds like you are almost on the right track and obviously you care very much about both your dog and your child. :)

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Yup, I agree with the others - plenty of leash walking (though it's been hot the last few days) to get her mentally stimulated. Also, do some fun trainging exercises with her so that you're spending some quality time aside from walks (and particularly when it's too hot outside to really enjoy a walk). If she's food motivated, give her one of those tricky treat balls to play with as well.

I'd really refrain from a second dog right now. If you've not been walking Aster and giving her regular attention, two dogs may be too much, you know? Babies take A LOT of work and you'd have to supervise two dogs around a child that's just becoming mobile, wants to explore and has no idea that the family dog may not appreciate his/her advances. Moreover, would you really have the time and patience required to help a new greyhound adjust to home life?

Also, definitely follow RobinW's advice and have a tick panel done, preferably through NC State. When I saw your topic heading, my first thought was "TBD", before I'd read your post. It's always good to rule out.

Good luck and I hope Aster is back to herself soon. :grouphug :grouphug

Meredith said everything I was going to say, particularly regarding the second dog. I am finding my second dog much more challenging than I anticipated. It's become a challenge for me to devote enough attention to Neyla while working with Zuri on his issues and I don't have a baby! Walks and even just 10 minutes of clicker training a day will go a long way to making your dog happier. And do keep the upstairs open to her in the meantime. She needs a safe retreat if your baby is mobile. Keep us posted.

Jen

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest MyGreyAster

Thanks for all the great advice! Aster will be going in to have her teeth cleaned soon, so I will ask them about the tick panel. And I will refrain from bugging my husband about a second dog.

Today we went for a walk first thing in the morning before it got too warm, and Aster was THRILLED! It's good for me, too, I need the exercise I don't get when Aster plays in the back yard. I also got her some new treats and chews and encouraged her to stay downstairs when Alexa was napping. She spent most of the day downstairs, until a thunderstorm just now! So, a pretty good day today!

Thanks for all the great advice! Aster will be going in to have her teeth cleaned soon, so I will ask them about the tick panel. And I will refrain from bugging my husband about a second dog.

Today we went for a walk first thing in the morning before it got too warm, and Aster was THRILLED! It's good for me, too, I need the exercise I don't get when Aster plays in the back yard. I also got her some new treats and chews and encouraged her to stay downstairs when Alexa was napping. She spent most of the day downstairs, until a thunderstorm just now! So, a pretty good day today!

:yay:yay:yay

Keep up with those walks...and great ideas about the chews for downstairs....I think everyone will be a lot happier and heathier! (Said the girl who has been so lazy and has not gotten back into running since the puppy came home.....)

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Have you had her FULL panel Thyroid checked yet? If not, please do. It's easy enough to find out if she is hypothyroid or not. She has the same symtoms as Chloe and as soon as the meds hit her system (1 pill 1.5 time a day) she was a different dog.

If her thryoid is fine, I'd opt for another dog (I'd opt for that anyway) since it really does not make anything more difficult. (the most difficult is going from 0-1, not 1-2!!!)

Best of luck.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest mandm
have you had her tested for babesia? depression was the first sign of phene's babesia. it is a tick borne disease that often lies dormant and becomes symptomatic following a significant experience, such as adoption or a move.

My greyhound was very lethargic, even for a greyhound, when I adopted him. He wouldn't get off his bed to see who was at the door, although he was always happy to go on walks. Turns out he had Babesia. The improvement in energy after treatment was immediate and dramatic.

Guest Cris_M

Good for you for taking Aster out for a walk. That can be pretty tough when you also have a toddler.

One thing I have noticed that helps with doggie depression is to walk on a schedule. My dogs have known when they will get to go on their walk every day. It gives them something to look forward to (even though we go early in the morning!) and they chill happily for the rest of the day knowing that the good times will come again tomorrow. I cannot tell you what a difference a schedule made when my first grey was dying of leukemia. His depression evaporated once he knew he would get his daily walk.

Best wishes to you for finding something that works well for your family.