This Week's Update On Bodie

Guest Bodie

Guest Bodie

Thanks to all of you for your warm thoughts, wishes, and prayers for Bodie. He continues to need them.

I received an update late last week from Ohio State University. His most recent skin cultures showed he does not have methicillin resitant staphylococucus (Thank God!), but he does have a number of other skin infections. Dr. London from OSU arranged for my vet to provide him with a thirty day supply of Clavamox and and a special antibacterial skin shampoo. Dr. London also suggested that I take Bodie to Dr. Jeffers in Gaithersburg, MD as Dr. London believes Bodie should be seen by a dermatologist/veterinarian that is somewhat local. (Two hours away is as "local" as we can get with a derm/vet!) Dr. Hillier (derm/vet at OSU) is a colleague of Dr. Jeffers and will work with him on Bodie's case. Unfortunately, I can not get an appt. with Dr. Jeffers until July 10. Hence, the Clavamox and shampoo to tide him over.

In the meantime, Bodie is very reluctantly wearing a sock on the area that he won't leave alone. It isn't itchy, just raw, and he continually licks it. (Thanks to the GreyTalker who suggested the sock - it works beautifully, even though he hates it!) The Clavamox is making him very sluggish - at least I think it's the medicine - maybe he is just running out of cope for his overall condition. He only gets up to eat and I literally have to roll him out of bed to get him up to go outside. Bribing him with a treat doesn't even work anymore and Bodie loves to eat.

The shampoo does seem to help. It is very creamy and I think it feels soothing to the affected areas. He didn't seem to mind me putting it on - and he is a pain weenie, so he would holler if it stung. I left the sock off after his shampoo and he left the area alone.

So, once again, we wait - now until July 10th. It is so frustrating to see Bodie like this. Normally, he is such a happy, outgoing boy. By the way, is there any GreyTalker out there who knows Dr. Jeffers - has heard about him or worked with him? Bodie's last derm/vet turned out to be no help at all, so I tend to be somewhat skeptical.

Rhonda

I don't know what you are feeding, but perhaps a little higher protein and less grain may make him feel a little better. If the foot is hurting, it may be what is making him sluggish. If he is licking, it hurts. Have you tried water therapy on it? Also, wearing a sock makes some of mine not "able" to walk :rolleyes:

Did they tell you to give pepcid, tagamet or zantac with the clavamox? Some greys have tummy upsets with it after several days.

Dr. Hillier (derm/vet at OSU) is a colleague of Dr. Jeffers and will work with him on Bodie's case.

Bodie's last derm/vet turned out to be no help at all, so I tend to be somewhat skeptical.

I have a feeling the contact and working with Ohio State will be effective :):)

Sending lots of prayers. It sounds quite frustrating.

Has he had a TBD panel done? Thyroid?

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Is it hot where you are? My hounds energy-level goes way down once it warms up.

Did they suggest anything to boost his immune system (they've ruled out an auto-immune problem I think you said)? Even fish oil might be helpful as the omega 3 fatty acids fight inflammation & help skin issues. I give 5000 mgs a day to my boy with allergy issues (along with some vit E).

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest Bodie

I haven't tried anything on Bodie's feet and legs but the "shampoo", which seemed to soothe the areas. I'm actually afraid to mess with the areas too much as the scabs fall off easily and they becomes raw again. I used a sock with the foot cut out, so he can walk - just thinks he can't! - the sock covers his leg which has the most severe area.

Yes, Bodie is taking Pepcid AC - Dr. Couto put him on that right away because his original medicine, that he is now being weaned off of, can cause stomach ulcers.

Bodie also had complete bloodwork done at OSU - I'm not sure what was specifically done, but I'm sure they did a thyroid panel as they also did a complete physical on him at the time.

I don't know what you are feeding, but perhaps a little higher protein and less grain may make him feel a little better. If the foot is hurting, it may be what is making him sluggish. If he is licking, it hurts. Have you tried water therapy on it? Also, wearing a sock makes some of mine not "able" to walk :rolleyes:

Did they tell you to give pepcid, tagamet or zantac with the clavamox? Some greys have tummy upsets with it after several days.

Dr. Hillier (derm/vet at OSU) is a colleague of Dr. Jeffers and will work with him on Bodie's case.

Bodie's last derm/vet turned out to be no help at all, so I tend to be somewhat skeptical.

I have a feeling the contact and working with Ohio State will be effective :):)

Sending lots of prayers. It sounds quite frustrating.

Has he had a TBD panel done? Thyroid?