Bounty Boon bladder cancer/prostate cancer

I am at a loss with what is going on with my poor boy.....

The problems started back when Natural Balance recalled their Venison formula food. I switched him to another Venison based food and threw him into a big intestional upset. It took a couple weeks to clear up and we used a new product FortiFlora to help him through that problem. We switched to a fish based food from Eagle Pack eventually and all seemed to be well in intestional land. But then there were back pains along his lower spine. Before we could get into the see the Chiro we got some Dermaxx from a more traditional vet. He has taken approx 6 dosages in about 6 weeks. And he hasn't had any in the last week since he got adjusted last Monday. After the adjustment last week he starts having a dry cough. Not constant but consistent. Well three days after the adjustment I find pee inside which at this point I think it is a dog I am dogsitting just from the anxiety. Well the dogsittee goes home and the peeing gets worse. By Friday it is pretty regular. It is a fair amount usually and very concentrated. The traditional vet did not see the dog but I just ran a urine sample up found crystals so we started him Sat on Cephalexin. He has had 5 500MG tablets since then and no improvement. Normally he can't go more than a few hours without peeing. He wakes me up but he has already peed before that happened.

I know this is a lot of info and thanks for reading thru it all. I am going to see if our regular (holistic) vet can get him in today, we have an appt for Wed but this is bothering me to see him out of sorts. He felt a bit warm but his temp is 102.0 so just a little elevated. He doesn't seem in distress by any means but not himself either. He still loves dinner time and cookies so I am thankful for that.

I am just looking for any ideas....

bountysophiesm.jpg

Edited by greysandmollie

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest minzenon

Sounds like he has picked up an infection which has gone to his kidneys/urinary tract.

Not sure what Cephalexin is or what it is used for (drugs have different names in other countries) if its an antibiotic then it should clear it up.

Good idea to get him in today if you can. Get a blood panel done. Ceph is ok but not the drug of choice in many UTIs. Have them culture the urine. Both deramaxx and ceph is very hard on the stomach.

Sending prayers.

I am sorry...I didn't include that we have run blood work on him twice in the last 6-8 weeks and everything was in normal range. His protein was a little low but according to Dr. Stack's info not out of whack for a greyhound. Test one it was 5.2 and second test it was 5.1.

For the first time this morning he vomitted. He still seems to be resting and fairly normal but whenever he is up and about it, he is panting. The A/C is on in the house so kind of strange there.

My vet isn't in until 9am so waiting to hear back from them.

Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

If he has a urinary infection which has settled in his kidneys, he could be getting pain in his middle/lower back area from that. Panting can be a sign of pain, so no surprise there... vomiting can also happen with acute nephritis.

Don't stop the Cephalexin till a vet tells you to. A lot of bacterial resistance happens this way. ;)

Good luck to Bounty Boon! I'm sure with the right antibiotic he'll start to feel better very soon.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

If he has a urinary infection which has settled in his kidneys, he could be getting pain in his middle/lower back area from that. Panting can be a sign of pain, so no surprise there... vomiting can also happen with acute nephritis.

Don't stop the Cephalexin till a vet tells you to. A lot of bacterial resistance happens this way. ;)

Good luck to Bounty Boon! I'm sure with the right antibiotic he'll start to feel better very soon.

The chirporactic vet found a lot of issues in his spine when he adjusted him. Twisted pelvis was one of them. But a UTI may have been in there too. I want to continue the Cephalexin but since he threw up this AM I am worried that he will puke them up. What would be your guess on how long it would take to show results?

I was able to get into the vet at 1:30pm.

Poor Bounty. I'm no good with any medical advice Donna but I'll be sending healing thoughts Bounty's way. :grouphug

Welcome home Quixote (formerly known as Whytell Mango)

JennScoot2.jpg

My Beloved Scooterman October 16, 1998 - October 11, 2007

Donna, are you giving him any pepcid before taking his meds...they could be upsetting his stomach...

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest Winterwish

Poor sweetheart! Hopefully it's a group of symptoms that just so happen to come at the same time,but each can be explained and dealt with relatively simply. :hope:hope:getwell:grouphug

Poor Bounty :(:grouphug ... is there any chance you can get him in today? It sounds to me like he may have a nasty infection. Poor baby :(:grouphug:hope :hope :hope and poor you :grouphug :grouphug

Mom to Daisy (1999-2012), LB (aka Little Bit), and Sammy James (aka Sammy or Buddy)

Daisy had UTI and crystals and lots of itching and chewing. It was food issues. She's on prescription venison and potato (DD) diet. It's expensive but seems to agree w her.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Guest Tenderhearts

Actually 102 is within normal range for a dog's temp.

I still wouldn't rule out a kidney infection causing back pain, even with his back issues, and I agree the antibiotics might well be upsetting the belly to the point of vomiting.

Whenever Lori Ann had a UTI, she was put on a very strong antibiotic called Primor-1200 mg and it knocked out the UTI every time. She did have vulvular folds that made her more susceptible to UTI's and we used unscented baby wipes to clean her after potty break.

It may have been the cephalexin that made him throw up. It is tough on the stomach, making people and dogs nauseous. I have two kids and Chase the grey who can not stomach it. Are you giving something for tummy upset? We've used baytril for the dog UTIs here.

Good luck at the vet today. I hope you get answers and Bounty Boon is on the wat to mending and feeling better fast :)

vr2a.jpg
Tonya, mom to May, and my angels Vinnie, Rex, Red, Chase, and Jake.

Guest MorganKonaAlex

cephalexin has caused vomiting for 2 of mine too. I had to switch both of them to other antibiotics.

We are back from a lengthy vet appt. Nothing definative....The urine was cafefully reviewed this time by our regular vet. He saw a lot of stuff in it including yeast. He wanted to switch antibiotics to Orbax. We used this with Rascal my incontinent dog years ago with great success and no tummy upset. So we are going to try that for the time being. The possible bad news is he has an enlarged prostate. It could be from the UTI but no way of knowing. We are going to treat with the new antibiotics and see what happens.

I also asked him to do a tick titre to be on the safe side. He has had too many things going on for it to just be a UTI in my opinion. I didn't know that dogs can get prostate cancer but I guess they can so I am hoping that the antibiotics do the trick.

Thanks for all the well wishes and advice. I will update with hopefully good news from the different meds.