Just Got Back From The E-vet

Guest jfroggirl76

Guest jfroggirl76

So obviously we were unable to go to our regular vet on a Sunday night @ 9:30pm.

Any way last year Noah had what the vet (our normal one) thought was cellulites in his tail and we treated it aggressively. Tonight I was petting Noah and notice a clump of hair matted together and upon further inspection it was matted together with puss.

Off to the e-vet, $200 dollars later the vet said that he has a hot spot. Noah who is 15 years old has been prone to infections lately. So my question is this, what does a hot spot looks like and is this one?

If this is a hot spot and long haired dogs are prone to hot spots should I have the groomer shear him for the summer to prevent another infection?

da1e462cd77a56f0f1db52a39f4798f2.jpg

Oh gosh, poor guy! :grouphug I don't have any advice, but wanted to offer gentle hugs and healing thoughts.

2 Hounds Design Martingale Collars | 2 Hounds Design Facebook Page

2HDgtSiggy2-2_zpsebfc14a9.jpg
Alisha, Bob, Livvie (the 2.5 year old!) plus Mia Bella, Tippy, + Wahoo and Diesel the crazy kitties (and missing sweet Iceman, Paradise, Bandit, Cujo & Sebastian) in Indian Trail, NC

Guest greytexplorer

It does look like a hot spot to me.

I had a german shepherd that got places like the one shown, but on his rump.

After that, I always got him sheared in April and again in July or August (depending on how fast his hair was growing).

And I was rigorous about the flea treatment.

Poor y'all!! Sending healing thoughts, scritchies and biskies to Noah. :getwell

Yes, that looks just like a hot spot to me. Poor Noah! Feel better soon, buddy.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest jfroggirl76

Noah's face is looking a little better today :) I came home from work early today to check on him and to make sure he didn't get the big D from the antibiotics. He does look better today but it still looks pretty bad.

Here is a picture from today, Noah wasn't really in the mood to have his picture taken.

6430cf16c965c9f29991602e546dc84b.jpg

Edited by jfroggirl76

Yep, it a hot spot. Our bulldog gets them on her chest and neck area often so I know what your going through. If you think she might just be getting prone to them I often watch for an area where the hair looks a little messy or out of place that way I can catch the boogers before they get big.

Some one asked what one is and here is one description I found. Hot spots are surface skin infections caused when populations of normal skin bacteria grow and overwhelm normal resistance. They are generally circular patches that lose hair, can be swollen, may exude a smelly pus, and can be itchy.

Alicia and Foster Yoshi ( pit bull) 

Always in my heart: WV's Milky Way 6/25/2000- 4/22/2013, Hank ( St Bernard/Boxer) ???? - 10/3/2017 and Sweet Pea (English bulldog)  2004 - 6/19/2019

www.etsy.com/your/shops/MuttStuffnc

Guest taylorsmom

We just got over a nasty hot spot on the top of Lucy's head! It was really gross, lots of pus etc. I think it started with a bug bite that she itched the heck out of (not fleas, no fleas or flea dirt anywhere on either her or the two greyhounds). We cleaned it twice a day with Thayer's witch hazel, it has aloe in it so it is very soothing as well as astringent to dry it up. We also applied calendula in a spray form several times a day, which is a great herbal remedy to use for very irritated and inflamed skin. Her hot spot cleared up in less than a week, which I think is pretty quick for these nasty things. The only thing that is taking awhile is for the shaved spot to grow back some fur!

Edited by taylorsmom