Riley Hurt His Paw

Guest karma98104

Guest karma98104

I was getting dressed to go to a party- just about to leave when my friend noticed riley licking his paw. He had sliced his paw WIDE OPEN, interestingly enough it did not bleed although the cut was very deep and blood was pooling up in the wound. :unsure So we carried him to the car and off to the evet! This was my first trip to the E-vet in my neighborhood, and they were AWESOME. They gave him 5 staples and pain meds and antibiotics.

The vets office sent us home with a plastic bag to tie over his paw, which is not bandaged. She said she didn't want to bandage it because she wanted it to air out. The bag is for keeping his paw dry and clean when he goes outside.

Is it ok to leave the bag on all the time? It seems like it would help it to keep clean, while still leaving it open.

Guest Dinabird

My dog hurt her paw last week! I have used anti-bacterial soap to wash it once a day, anti-stick pads to put between her toes where the cut is and just covered it with a freshly washed cotton sock which breathes - i put a plastic bag on when she goes outside but i take it off when we come inside as air can't get in with it on. Then take the sock off, i squirt some anti-bacterial foam on the area, put the sock back on and secure with a bit of masking tape so she can't pull it off! And leave her alone to rest. It has been 4 days now and she isn't limping, it isn't bleeding after she has walked on it and there is no sign of infection. I still clean and rebandage daily and use plastic bags and i will keep doing that till i can see no sign of any tenderness - probably another week or so.

It is so awfull when such a sweet friend is hurt - good luck with yours

Dina

I'd remove the bag inside so everything can breathe.

Hope all heals quickly.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I agree with removing the bag inside the house. When Clay broke a toe, we kept the bandaged area in a crocheted sock in the house to prevent chewing and then put a plastic bag over the sock for going outside. I remember our vet saying that keeping the bandage dry was very important to preventing infection. I hope Riley's paw heals soon.

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

Guest karma98104
My dog hurt her paw last week! I have used anti-bacterial soap to wash it once a day, anti-stick pads to put between her toes where the cut is and just covered it with a freshly washed cotton sock which breathes - i put a plastic bag on when she goes outside but i take it off when we come inside as air can't get in with it on. Then take the sock off, i squirt some anti-bacterial foam on the area, put the sock back on and secure with a bit of masking tape so she can't pull it off! And leave her alone to rest. It has been 4 days now and she isn't limping, it isn't bleeding after she has walked on it and there is no sign of infection. I still clean and rebandage daily and use plastic bags and i will keep doing that till i can see no sign of any tenderness - probably another week or so.

Wow, sounds like that was a bad injury!!! Riley's thankfully was not in such a bad place. He doesn't have bandages over his staples, and isn't even limping. She told me not to clean it unless i noticed dirt in the wound. The vet gave me an empty I-V bag to put over his foot- thicker to offer some padding and tall. She cut holes in the top and put fabric through to make a draw string, so I tie that around his ankle. But as he steps on it, the bag sinks down lower and lower and I wind up stopping to retie three times a potty break. Does anyone have a better solution? This is going to be a very long 10 -12 days!!!

Get some vetwrap (or coflex, the rubbery bandaging stuff that sticks to itself), some duct tape, and some GOOD-QUALITY quart or gallon sized ziploc bags. The ziplocs are stronger than the non-ziplocs. I prefer the gallon sized as they're taller.

Use two bags for extra strength. Put over foot. Secure around ankle and some further up with vetwrap (snug!). Now take a couple lengths of duct tape and sorta make a sole and toepiece on the bag (over the plastic, not inside next to his foot). If you're lucky, his nails won't poke thru and you'll be able to use this bag a couple times.

Careful if he has to walk up/down stairs with the bag on -- it'll be slippery.

Hugs and luck.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Dinabird

Actually I use that blue masking tape to hold the bag on when she goes outside - comes off easy but is strong enough to keep the bag on!

We are also using an empty IV bag to protect my greys bandaged foot. Our vet did the same thing with the draw string. I sort of lace it around on the outside like a ballet shoe and it stays up just fine. It took a bit to figure out how to get it to stay on, but it seems to work just fine now.

We only put it on her when she needs to go outside and it comes back off immediately when she comes back in. We are also leash-walking her because her foot is broken.

Patti

Mom to BridgeGreys~~STORM 07/99-02/08/11, VICKI 12/15/00-01/12/11, BAY 02/00-10/25/10 and CASHEW 10/99-2/23/10

and cats ~~ IRISH, MUMBLES, MUFFIN, TJ, PUNKIN and Bridge cats SARAH (07/29/97-07/07/06) and BRIE (04/11/96-01/22/12)

a very lively Whippet, OLIVIA and JAKE, the Iggy

Guest karma98104

Thanks Batmom! I used the freezer bags with great results. I've been putting a rubber band around the top of his leg for just two second taking care of business in the yard outings, and tape and double bagging him for walks and hanging out in the yard.

Just 4 more days of leash walking and bags and the staples come out! :)

I am no vet.....but when Cosmo hurt his paw, (large cut) and they wanted to put him under to stitch, I had to say no! (I thought it was over kill for the wound) I went to Wally world and got some of the baby socks and some of the medical paper tape. I put the sock over the paw (I think it was size 6 mth) after neosporin, (sp) taped the top on to the fur. The cotton let the wound breath and heal and kept it clean. I would change it once a day. The paper tape sticks but does not pull hair out when taking off. Anyway: After about 5 days it was all better! Without the stitches! We have to learn the cheapest and BEST way to handle the little boo boos.

Again this is what I did. I did have the vets OK on this. We both know the problems with the greys and anesthetic and thought that this was a good choice.

Sheila and CO
www.greyacres.com