Constant Straining To Pee

So while at the dog park this evening, Neyla started squatting to pee over and over. She would literally walk a few feet and squat down again. She was clearly straining and only a few drops would come out. I waited about 5-10 minutes while she continued to do this, then we went back to the car. She did it all the way to the car as well. We had to drive a bit to pick something up so we got home about an hour later, I gave her a chance to go but she didn't seem to want to and now we're back inside and she's chilling on her dog bed. She did urinate and defecate normally when I took her out right after work.

So right now I'm thinking she might have a UTI and I should just drop off a sample to our vet when they open tomorrow morning, but I thought I'd see if anyone is online right now who can tell me if I should be concerned about anything. I did find an accident one day last week and I thought it was her, not Zuri (no "splash") but there was really no way to tell b/c I didn't see it happen. Otherwise, she's been totally normal - although the only other time she had a UTI her only symptoms were increased water intake and one accident. I haven't noticed an increase in her water consumption though.

Anyway, I'm not too worried, my rational mind says UTI, but there's a little part of me that's nervous remembering her kidney problems a few years ago (she was diagnosed with acute kidney failure, but we never figured out the cause and it went away either on it's own or b/c of something we did but can't identify).

Basically, someone please tell me this is just a UTI and not a symptom of a greater problem! :unsure Or even better, any other ideas for why she was doing it? She wasn't marking, I'm sure of that.

Thanks,

Jen

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Sounds like a UTI to me.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

It's a good idea to call your vet in the morning first thing. Probably is a UTI. She must be uncomfortable if she has the urge to go so often. I don't think kidney failure just goes away. She must have had something else back then.

So call your vet :)

Sounds like a UTI to me, but if you were at the dogpark, it could have been marking. I would take her in and have them test her urine to see for sure.

2 Hounds Design Martingale Collars | 2 Hounds Design Facebook Page

2HDgtSiggy2-2_zpsebfc14a9.jpg
Alisha, Bob, Livvie (the 2.5 year old!) plus Mia Bella, Tippy, + Wahoo and Diesel the crazy kitties (and missing sweet Iceman, Paradise, Bandit, Cujo & Sebastian) in Indian Trail, NC

My vet was nice enough to run the urinalysis in house this morning while I waited. No UTI. So I'm just going to keep an eye on Neyla for the rest of the weekend. She seems fine today - the vet said it's possible she had something irritating her that came out when she peed so maybe that was it. I'm not convinced yet though - only time will tell I guess. Thanks for the replies.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."