My Friend Fell On Fenway!

Fenway and his buddies were running in the fenced field, and ran straight into the back of my friend. Unfortunately Fenway was in an unfortunate place where my friend landed on top of him. He's quite dramatic, so I expected the screaming....but he did it for about a minute. I leashed him up and walked him around...his back left leg is the one that is hurt and he was using it but limping. I rubbed him down, no yelping. I picked up his other back leg to make him put weight on the injured one, no yelping. After another 10 or 15 minutes I walked him around a bit more and massaged him again, still no yelping, no swelling and no heat. So the plan for now is just to leash walk him and let him rest, I'm hoping he'll be fine in a few days. Anything else I should be doing after work tonight and this weekend for him?

Edited by gracegirl

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

I'd do exactly what you're doing...keep an eye on him and leash walk until you're sure he's ok :)

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Maybe an ascriptin for pain and soreness?

Hugs to sweet baby Fenway

I can buy this at the drug store, right? I've never had to give pain meds before....is it okay to give one without seeing the vet first? (I'd really like to NOT go to the vet if he's just going to tell me "give an ascriptin and leash walk him".)

Edited by gracegirl

Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Yes, it's just buffered aspirin. I have a feeling he will be back to normal tomorrow. Puppies have a way of doing that.

:nod If I'm lucky :goodluck he might even be just fine after work. I'll stop by the store to get the pain killers just in case. Poor little rough and tumble guy....and I'm greysitting this weekend too. I want Fenway to have fun with his buddy Brock....

Guest BlackandBrindle

Any kind of buffered aspirin is fine- St. Joseph's, baby aspirin... but I've been told by wise Greytalkers that ascriptin is the best- I've taken it myself and like it :)

Okay, I just let him out of his crate but kept him on leash and he is fine...a little tentative, but no limping. yay! I think I'll skip the drugs (but pick them up in case I need them in the future) and leash walk tonight. Hopefully he'll be okay tomorrow so he can play with Brock. I might keep him leashed tomorrow, we'll see!

(How the heck do you keep a GH puppy "quiet"....I just know that after he eats dinner he'll be trying to play and will bark at me until I let him out to run....this should be a fun night!)

This morning at 4:30 I'm woken up by a screaming puppy...he tried to get off the couch (his preferred sleeping spot, so he can roach into the cushions all night) and must have landed funny but it's not his back right leg that's giving him trouble. He'll walk on it with a slight limp, but he sits immediately if we stop on our walks and he's just "off". He also had the runs just now, something that is totally abnormal for him. His first poop of the day was fine, rock hard even, and it's not normal for him to go again this early. Stress from the pain? I'm leash walking him in the yard for now, and when our greyhound house-guest arrive this morning he didn't even get off the couch to say hello. I hope my little man is okay! Someone please tell me he's just off because he's hurting and he'll be okay again in a few days. I hate seeing him like this....my puppy should be crazy, not mopey. :(

Edited by gracegirl

Guest BooMooandDoo
Okay, I just let him out of his crate but kept him on leash and he is fine...a little tentative, but no limping. yay! I think I'll skip the drugs (but pick them up in case I need them in the future) and leash walk tonight. Hopefully he'll be okay tomorrow so he can play with Brock. I might keep him leashed tomorrow, we'll see!

(How the heck do you keep a GH puppy "quiet"....I just know that after he eats dinner he'll be trying to play and will bark at me until I let him out to run....this should be a fun night!)

Lauren it'll be okay!! :grouphug I saw him yesterday and he looked fine. . no limp. He probably landed on it wrong. Give him a couple days and if it doesn't get better take him in. Good luck!

I agree, 3 day rule. I would take him in on Monday for an exam. He could have an injury other then a leg.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg