Oscar Had A Seizure Last Night

Guest oscarsdad

Guest oscarsdad

Was woke up at one am this morning by the sound of Oscars legs scratching against the side of his basket and the sound of home relieving himself - turned on the light to see the horror of him laid in his basket, foaming at the mouth with his legs twitching and nothing would calm him down - he certainly wasn't with us at that point. After about two minutes the twitching subsided and he was left panting very heavily for about 5 minutes but again seemed not to know we were there. I left the room for something and when I came back in he got up quickly, but very unsteadily and started barking and then when I made a move towards him started to snarl and backed right into the corner of the room then saw himself in the mirrored wardrobes and fell into them and then landed awkwardly back into his basket. He was then very limp with head hanging over the side of the basket so we put his muzzle on and propped his head up (he just let us pick his head up and move it around like he was a stuffed toy) with some pillows and a quilt and just sat with him for about three quarters of an hour gently talking to him and stroking him all the time his eyes were only half open or nearly closed with his eyeballs rolled back. He then very unsteadily got up and we took him outside (which he normally loves and we have to drag him back in!) but he didn't want to go any further than where the security lights stopped (ie the dark areas of the garden) and wanted to go back in immediately. When we came back in it was like the first day we got him, he wanted to go in every room and sniff everything - he looked 'better' but still completely spaced out - he didn't seem to know who we were (but at least he knew we were there!) and didn't respond to his name unless he could see us, he did however settle down. This morning he is completely back to his normal bouncy, loving self but I've got to say it was very very frightening - I've never seen anything like it before and wouldn't care if I never did again. He's going to the vets but what do you think it was - epilepsy, a one off attack,etc?? Is there anything positive you can do to help if a dog has a seizure like this?

Guest TaniandMalachy

I'm so sorry. That must have been terrifying for you and poor Oscar.

Sadly I can't offer you any advice. Mal has had several small "episodes" where he seems to experience heightened senses and not be aware of where/who he is with for 4 or 5 hours...almost like a sensory migraine in humans....but nothing like as bad as what Oscar experienced last night.

Getting him to the vet ASAP has got to be the right thing to do. I know there are other people on this forum whose dogs have seizures. I'm sure they'll be able to share their experiences and offer advice.

Good luck.

Guest DogGone

I knew a Basenji that experienced a seizure very similar to what you just described and the vet diagnosed it as epilepsy. I would take him in just to be sure. Please keep us posted!

Guest greybookends

My bridge boy Max was epileptic. He always seemed to know when one was about to start and would come to me so that I could be with him while it happened, it was the only time he ever woke me up in the middle of the night for anything. The only thing you can do is to sit with him and keep him from hurting himself by thrashing about, beyond that, all you can do is wait for it to be over and comfort him. It is a very frightening thing to watch and a feeling of complete helplessness, knowing there is nothing you can do to stop it.

Is this Oscar's first seizure? If so know this, it is a totally treatable condition. There are far worse things he could be afflicted with.

Give Oscar a hug for me and one for yourself as well. :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

No advice, just hugs.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

A couple of questions for you. How old is Oscar? Was this his first seizure? Most dogs who are epileptic have develope it between the ages of 3 and 5, there are a few a little younger and a few a little older. This is a totally treatable disease. I'd take him to the vet and have him tested for tick born disease and have his thyroid checked. If everything comes back within normal limits you're probably dealing with an epileptic hound.

Right now it's important for you to keep a log on his seizures. The date, time and duration are important. Most vet's won't treat an epileptic hound unless he is having more that 1 or 2 seizures a month. If he starts having more there are medications that can help control his symptoms. He is obviously having grand mal seizures. These are the most violent seizures he can have. Obviously when coming out of it he has a tendency to get aggressive. I'd definately keep my distance until you are absolutely sure he is back with you so to speak. Hounds coming out of seizures are totally confused. Sometimes they have no clue where they are or how they got there. If he's pacing, let him, it's his way of cooling off. He may be frightened, it's okay, just let him work it out. His temperature rises significantly during a seizure so he will try and cool off by panting and pacing. His blood sugar drops dramatically also so give him some vanilla ice cream to bring his blood sugar back up. Please be aware that during a seizure he feels nothing, no pain at all. He also can't see, hear or smell. The brain is short circuiting so to speak so all senses are shut down.

If he starts having them on a regular basis your vet may want to start him on Phenobarbital. There is also another drug, Potassium Bromide which works wonders but takes 4 weeks to reach maximum strength for controlling seizures. Some hounds, like my Saint, take both drugs. There are side effects, usually a loss of coordination, like they're drunk, or they sleep a lot. My Saint walked into walls for a few weeks and then the side effects should subside and your pup will return to normal.

It can be very scary but is so treatable. If you have any more questions, please feel free to contact me.

Judy

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest oscarsdad
A couple of questions for you. How old is Oscar? Was this his first seizure?

It can be very scary but is so treatable. If you have any more questions, please feel free to contact me.

Judy

He was born July 2002 and yes, this was his first attack.

Scary isn't the word, I was so worried to see him foaming at the mouth and twitching (he looked like he was running but all his legs were out of synch) and then when he snarled at me he looked so angry I thought I was in for it!

Will definitely try the ice cream should it happen again (fingers crossed!) - I'm diabetic and on the occasions when I have had a hypo (low blood sugar) during the night my wife says I am unpredictable but I never remember fully what I have been up to.

I was just so relieved to see him back to normal this morning.

Thanks to everybody for all the words of support.

Seizures can be so very frightening to witness. Oscar's symptoms certainly sound like a grand mal seizure--very much like my Piper's seizures. I do have one thought about the snarling--it may have been that Oscar was frightened and confused in the moments right after the seizure and was warning you off but there is another possibility as well. He may have been having what is called a "focal seizure". Grand mal seizures affect the whole body and Oscar certainly showed you what that looks like. :omg Focal seizures affect just a part of the body. Piper has had both kinds of seizures. When he has a focal seizure he get a wild look in his eyes, leans to one side or staggers, drools, and his lips draw back in a really fearsome snarl. He looks like a hunting dog about to go in for the kill. He is not trying to hurt anyone and is not being mean or aggressive--he is just having another type of seizure.

It is certainly possible that this will be a one-time event and will never happen again. At this point, a thorough vetting would be a smart move--tick disease, a 6 panel thyroid test, a general physical with good labs. Then you wait and watch to see if he has more seizures. The suggestion of keeping a seizure log is great. Piper actually benefits from getting small meal--a bit of kibble and an egg--after his seizures. He expends so much energy from all the muscle activity of a seizure that he will actually loose weight.

In terms of what to do during a seizure--your instincts were just great. You pretty much have to ride it out, keep the dog safe during the seizure, and offer quiet comfort when it is over.

Good web sites for information on canine seizures:

www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels.com

www.canine-epilepsy.com

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Guest sweetgsmom

I feel for you, I am going through the same with Aidan she has had 2 siezures VERY Scarey. She is now on Phenobarbital and also heart medication as she has arrythmia. We are at a point trying to figure out if the arrythmia caused the siezure or the siezure caused the arrythmia.

The meds did make her very sleepy and wobbly when she was up, she has been on them a little over a week and I can see her body adjusting to them.

Today is her third birthday so better go post in EEG.

Hoping for the best possible for your baby....

Guest Snowy8

Right now it is important that you get him to the vet. Gabby has epilepsy but she doesn't foam at the mouth, this sounds like it could be a seizure due to poisoning. Once he has been diagnosed, then start keeping a log of the time he has the seizures & how long they last. Your VET will decide what meds to prescribe.

Good luck & keep us posted.

Get Oscar to the vet. Have him checked for congestive heart failure. I don't want to scare you, but Sydney had CHF, and in began with seizures. Keep honey near by. Give him about a teaspoon of that when/if he begins to seize again. Be careful of his teeth and your fingers, though. Also, don't let him drink water immediately after the seizure. He will also be somewhat disoriented and may not know you or where he is - may appear drunk and might act aggressively.

My thoughts are with you. I know, first hand, how terrifying this is and how helpless you feel. Please keep us posted.

:heart:hope

Noel's first seizure was very violent. Several dogs were sleeping in the bedroom while I was one the computer when she screamed & did 2 total back flips, one into the wall & the other into the clothes chest. Her eyes were huge & for her safety I wrapped her in a large towel & carried her outside away from the high prey dogs. Speckie was with me when Lucky had seizures so she came outside & watched closely. Noel had another violent seizure so I wrapped he in the towel after I called the vet. When I got to the office she had a petite seizure. The vet quickly gave her some Nutri-cal to help bring her out. She has had 2 more sets one of which was worse than the firdt & it took a long time to come back to normal. Noel is diabetic so I have to watch her closely. It is terrible to watch but just remember to stay calm, hard to do I know, & make sure Oscar doesn't hurt himself. If you have other pets keep them away from him when this happens some go into attack mode or he may attack them. I hope the vet can help.

I went throught that with Petey Poodle years ago, it was very hard. found out he had a brain tumor but he was old. There are many reasons seizures happen, dont think the worst, just get him to the vet and he most likely will prescribe phenobarbital

"To err is human, to forgive, canine" Audrey, Nova, Cosmo and Holden in NY - Darius and Asia you are both irreplaceable and will be forever in my heart beatinghearts.gif

Poor Oscar and poor you, I know it's very frieghtening to witness such a thing. I agree with a vet visit for Oscar. One thing you do want to do is to keep a journal of the events in case it happens again. Be as detailed as you can, include what time it happened, how long it last, etc. What you are describing does sound like a grand mal seizure.

It's normal for a pup to out of it for a bit after such an event, but they should come around shortly. I hope Oscar is feeling better and that this is a one time event.

My pup Lily had a seizure last year and has not had one since.

Praying for all the missing greys!

Guest JudiK

Please keep us posted on Oscar. I'm so sorry about his seizures, but I am grateful to you and everyone who posted in here. I am expecting a "seizure dog" next Saturday; and although I have agreed to foster her indefinately (probably until DH and I break down and adopt her) I knew nothing about dealing with seizures until everyone began offering advice here. I feel so much better prepared now. I will be watching to see how Oscar makes out - and please pass on my thanks to him for helping me know how to help Rose when she arrives next Saturday.