Jump to content

Aspartame


Guest greytexplorer
 Share

Recommended Posts

Guest greytexplorer

Ester just finished up my cup of yogurt, which contains aspartame.

I guess she probably ingested 1/4 cup.

Is this a problem for greyhounds?

 

Xylitol is the known lethal sweetener, but what is known about aspartame and greyhounds?

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest LynnM

My crew always finishes off my yogurt and no one has started glowing in the dark, sprouting an extra limb or even gotten gas. So.... from my experience with a limited sample of iron gutted canines, I'd say that a bit won't do any harm.

 

Considering the amount of Diet Pepsi I consume in a day, if anyone was going to have serious side effects from aspartame in my house, it wouldn't be my dogs, LOLOL.

 

Lynn

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest greytexplorer

She really liked the 'gurt <lick lips here>

It was strawb and banana flavor----can I give her a whole cup of it?

She certainly would lub it :heart

 

ps to LynnM> I grew up in Pensacola

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't know about Greyhounds and Aspartame but I'm allergic to it and would get sick...

--------------------------------------------

user posted imageuser posted image

Marion, Ivy & Soldi

 

Perseverance is not a long race...

it is many short races one after another.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest SYMBASMOMMY

Holy heck, I never realized apartame was so bad for you.....thanks Burpdog...as usual...you always educate us!!! I have switched to Splenda about a year ago and I am not sure about all side effects but I can tell you that my headaches and stomach problems are much better....

 

I gave Symba some yogurt once with aspartame in it and then I panicked and watched him for the next 2 hours, but he was okay....but I wouldn't make a practice of giving the dogs the yogurt....try yogurts that don't have aspartame in it....

Edited by SYMBASMOMMY
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Um, might want to look up Splenda and toxicity, too.

Sugars aren't so bad, y'know, unless you're diabetic. Even better, don't eat sweeteners at all! Fruit is already sweet.

....

 

 

Uh oh! Did somebody shove that soapbox under me? How did I get up here? :P

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

:yikes how did you realize that you were allergic to aspartame?

 

did you get hives, or the itchies, or what?

 

No...I get terrible nausea and tend to vomit and my stomach hurts for the rest of the day.

--------------------------------------------

user posted imageuser posted image

Marion, Ivy & Soldi

 

Perseverance is not a long race...

it is many short races one after another.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest JohnnyBell

I can't find it but awhile ago I read an article on a dog that got into sugar free candy like mints or something that had aspertame and the dog nearly died.I'll try to find the article.I think a lot was consumed though.I wouldn't chance it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I won't feed it to my guys. I doubt a little will hurt.

 

Interesting informatioin:

 

Aspartame

 

My DD is allergic to one of the sweetners. I wish they would just bring saccarin back.

 

 

Interesting links, Diane! I don't understand that Aspartame is in nearly ALL medications as sweetener over here.

 

--------------------------------------------

user posted imageuser posted image

Marion, Ivy & Soldi

 

Perseverance is not a long race...

it is many short races one after another.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest crazy4greys

I am also allergic to it! It gives me a wicked headache, so I stay away from it. I definitely wouldn't give it to my dogs.

Edited by crazy4greys
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest greytexplorer
I can't find it but awhile ago I read an article on a dog that got into sugar free candy like mints or something that had aspertame and the dog nearly died.I'll try to find the article.I think a lot was consumed though.I wouldn't chance it.

 

don't know the article of which you speak, but I would bet dollars to doughnuts that the sweetener was xylitol

Edited by greytexplorer
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Tigonie
I won't feed it to my guys. I doubt a little will hurt.

 

Interesting informatioin:

Aspartame

 

My DD is allergic to one of the sweetners. I wish they would just bring saccarin back.

Saccharin was the "miracle" sweetener of the '70s/early 80s. [sings:] "Now you see it, now you don't"--it was going to make us all thin! Then it was declared to cause cancer in lab rats. Everyone ran from saccharin in fear and jumped on the Aspartame bandwagon. Aspartame, you know, was Safe! Now Aspartame is Bad For You, and sucrolose (Splenda) is The Thing. How much you want to bet that Splenda will be equated with illness within 20 years? But no worries, they'll come up with something else to "save" us before that (if the fake butter doesn't get us first)!

 

If people are really worried about additives, why do they keep believing in and using the next "miracle" sweetener? If you want to be thin(er), in most cases eating reasonable amounts of a well-balanced diet without artifical sweeteners and fat substitutes and incorporating moderate exercise into your lifestyle will do more than all the extra helpings of diet (read: fake) food. Now if I only followed my own advice! :lol

 

As for greyhounds, I've never heard of problems with Aspartame and dogs. I don't feed it to my dog, though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest greytexplorer

I have type I diabetes, and am insulin-dependent, that's why I intake sweeteners with aspartame, splenda, etc.

Which is why Ester ingested it, er, rather, STOLE it (my artificially sweetened yogurt)!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you want to be thin(er), in most cases eating reasonable amounts of a well-balanced diet without artifical sweeteners and fat substitutes and incorporating moderate exercise into your lifestyle will do more than all the extra helpings of diet (read: fake) food. Now if I only followed my own advice! :lol

 

Add me as one more to the allergic crowd. I don't throw up, but for a day feel like I easily could and still don't feel so hot the next.

 

But I give Jet yogurt after her meals. I'm not concerned and she doesn't get an entire container at a time either. People have been eating yogurt that has been artificially sweetened for years...

 

I eat a well balanced diet. I don't like soda. I don't like tea. I don't like coffee.

I like milk, water, adult beverages and lemon aid. I don't like all the sugar in lemon aid, so I use a lemon aid made with splenda so I don't get sick from the crystal light version of it. I add my own strawberries to give it an extra bit of flavor and get a serving of fruit too :)

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...