Canine Influenza

Guest FatCatSkinnyDog

It is advisable that dogs be kept away from each other until an effective vaccine is available. This means NO DOG PARKS, NO INDOOR GROOMING, NO BOARDING KENNELS, NO GROUP DOG TRAINING CLASSES.

That seems a bit over the top -- actually the entire "Sky Is Falling" tone of the alert is. Good grief, after all these years there really isn't an effective vaccine for kennel cough -- how soon do they think researchers can pull an effective flu vaccine out of the air? It would have to be months or years. Poodle would be pretty darn fuzzy after a few months with no grooming. :sheep

The CDC hearing link doesn't sound very dire --

Only a minority of dogs, a small number of dogs, experience complications such as pneumonia, just like the humans infected with influenza, certain populations of humans are more prone to development of pneumonia. And it's a small number of humans compared to everyone else.

So that is the same with canine influenza virus. It's a small population of dogs that will develop complications, most likely bacterial complications and these dogs do need to be--have their treatment supervised by a veterinarian...

And lastly, I want to emphasize most of all that this is not the deadly virus that certain sources have played it up to be.

We have a very low mortality rate. And this is a disease that I would characterize as one of high morbidity and low mortality. Thank you.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest FatCatSkinnyDog

Very true. I agree that that is extreme but I figured that it would be good if people here knew that it was showing up again. :)

It may be extreme, but the relatively simple measures suggested could shut down the spread of the virus.

If everyone did so, that could save lots of suffering, lots of money, and maybe a few canine lives. But that probably won't happen, so the virus will spread and inconvenience people, sicken dogs, and cause vet visits.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Shutting down grooming and obedience classes doesn't really sound so simple to me. :unsure Arron, in the CDC conference they had said they had been working on a vaccine for a couple of years. What is the usual time frame from inception to mass produced widely distributed effective vaccine? Surely a lot longer than a Poodle could go without grooming.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Shutting down grooming and obedience classes doesn't really sound so simple to me. :unsure Arron, in the CDC conference they had said they had been working on a vaccine for a couple of years. What is the usual time frame from inception to mass produced widely distributed effective vaccine? Surely a lot longer than a Poodle could go without grooming.

You only need to shut it down until the virus runs its course- a few weeks, at least until the contagious dogs are no longer infectious. Really, the same thing could be done on a human scale during influenza season if people didn't insist on showing up to work while sick. There would still be a risk of re-infection of humans from natural reservoirs (geese); I don't know what natural reservoirs exist for canine influenza. AVMA advises "At this time, there is no evidence of transmission of canine influenza from dogs to horses, cats, ferrets, or other animal species."

As far as time is concerned- a vaccine was developed for canine parvovirus strain 2 (CPV-2) in about a year, but that was almost 30 years ago. No idea how tough regulations are to work with today in comparison to then. If it's a "typical" influenza virus, it shouldn't take long provided the virus grows well in eggs.

Not my specialty. I was an avian influenza and norwalk virus guy. Canine influenza is new, as of January, 2004 (discovered in greyhounds), and I've never worked on it.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)