Panting And Twitching

Guest casto9

Guest casto9

Hi all. I read the forums a lot here, but don't post too frequently. Our grey seems to act strangely about once or twice a day. What happens is that he will start panting and acting like he is hot, even though we may have been sitting inside in the a/c for an hour or two. Also, he seems restless, and his muscles will be twitching very rapidly even though he is just standing still. It also feels like his heart is beating very quickly. We just had him in at the vet this past month for a UTI, but everything has been fine since, and he has been done with his meds for over a week now. The twitching is not seizure like, b/c he can stand still, or walk around. It seems to last for about 15 minutes or so, and then he'll stop panting and lay down. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Or panic? Fear? Anxiety? How long have you had him, and is there anything in the environment that he may be reacting to? Noises, weather? Any pattern to when/time of day/ this occurs?

Edited by Cynthia

If you certain he isn't overheating , it could be pain, maybe from cramps or something similar, or it could be fear/anxiety.

Apart from the fact that he can have been in the A/C for an hour or so before this happens, it does sound a lot like heat exhaustion - you do get rapid heartbeat, skin and muscle twitching and panting, also a dazed look. But there are many other conditions which MAY cause symptoms which sound similar, from parasitic infestations to brain tumours and back.

I'd take him along for a full check up and mention this to the vet. If nothing shows up, you can try gentle massage when it happens (which may solve it, or may show up tender points) and you could also try plugging in a DAP unit. That may help if it's simple anxiety.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest casto9

Thanks for the replies.

About the follow up urinalysis, it was clean.

I think that the fear/anxiety thing might be it, b/c last night there was a thunderstorm, and he started to act like this after he heard the thunder the first time. The heavy panting, rapid heartbeat, and muscle twitching all over his body began. I didn't notice anything that would have scared him the other times it has happened though. It took about 15 minutes for him to calm down last night with petting and massage.

We've had him for about 10 months now, and he does have some seperation anxiety issues, but those have gotten much better since the adoption. If I don't sound stupid, can I ask what a DAP unit is? I've never heard of this.

Thanks for the help again.

A DAP unit is a plug in device, similar to an air-freshener, but it emits Dog Appeasing Pheromones - hence the name D.A.P.

This is actually a UK site, but if you do a Google search you'll find a lot of places in the US which sell them. I think it's usually marketed as 'Comfort Zone' over there.

For DAP information, click here

We got one when we had Jim, a chronically anxious soul who got worse as he aged. It resulted in him peeing on the floor every night, and the DAP helped him enormously! I'd call it a minor miracle. It also cured him of his thunderphobia, though we didn't get it for that purpose. :thumbs-up It doesn't work miracles for every dog, but you may find that it helps a lot.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest casto9

Thanks a lot for the info. I did read around on it, and it definitely sounds like it's worth a try. It seems that everyone who wrote reviews that had greyhounds had a positive experience with it. Thanks!