Not A Good Walker...

Guest ChloeMom

Guest ChloeMom

I love our greyhound Chloe, but I think she may be just lazy, and I was wondering if anyone knew if you could train a greyhound to walk at a moderate pace for more than 5 minutes. I adopted Chloe with this dream of taking long walks with her and I may as well pull her after 5 minutes of good brisk walking. I understand that hypothyroidism may be an issue- however, it is argues that all greyhounds run a low T3 and T4. I find myself leaving poor Chloe on a beautiful morning to take a long brisk walk for my own health, or to the gym. Chloe also sniffs EVERYTHING in site, and that is fine, when she does it too long, I can get her away. I just returned from our walk and I basically had to pull her up the hill. So, at the edge of my driveway, I let her leash go to see if she would chase me. (she usually loves this). Instead, she looked at me, and layed down on the grass. It is kind of comical, but I can't go on like this! Do you think it is worth a trip to the vet or will he think I am crazy and to just acknowledge that I have a lazy girl...

There are a number of conditions that might contribute to behavior like that which you're seeing. While thyroid issues could be real (send samples to Hemopet or, if they're back to doing it by dialysis, MSU's veterinary lab- they have a veterinary endocrinologist who can speak to sighthound issues with accuracy, unlike most labs), there can be cardiac or pulmonary issues, or even pain issues.

Does her respiratory rate increase appreciably? Is there panting? Does she do better at night, when it is cooler? Is she heartworm negative?

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest sheila

When I first adopted Kiowa he seemed to get winded early on in the walks. I would imagine taking actual 'walks' rather than being led to a place a few feet away to run for 1/2 a mile and then back to a kennel is a new experience. With K I started slowly and walked maybe 4 blks round trip and built up from there. As far as the stopping to sniff, I figure at first everything is new and different and it was OK when he was getting to know the 'hood'. Now that the route is familiar he still takes a quick sniff (I call it checking his pee-mail) but I have a 30 second rule for the long sniffs and a little mini pull on the leash with an 'OK lets go' does the trick here.

How new is she? Are her feet sore walking on pavement? Sometimes the pads need toughening up. Just a thought.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Guest ChloeMom
There are a number of conditions that might contribute to behavior like that which you're seeing. While thyroid issues could be real (send samples to Hemopet or, if they're back to doing it by dialysis, MSU's veterinary lab- they have a veterinary endocrinologist who can speak to sighthound issues with accuracy, unlike most labs), there can be cardiac or pulmonary issues, or even pain issues.

Does her respiratory rate increase appreciably? Is there panting? Does she do better at night, when it is cooler? Is she heartworm negative?

Hi, yes she actually does start panting early on in our walk and she stops dead in her tracks (she walks behind me) and likes to lie down in someone's grass. She is heartworm negative, I got her in March and all this had already been done. We are going to try it again tonight when it cools down and the sun goes in. maybe this is a heat thing. I plan on taking her to the vet, though, I am a bit worried, but I was not sure if this was a breed-sepcific thing.

How new is she? Are her feet sore walking on pavement? Sometimes the pads need toughening up. Just a thought.

Hi, thanks for your reply. No, we already went throgh the sore foot problem in March when we adopted Chloe. I wish that was it!

Like Sheila, when we first got Brilly, he would really protest going for more than out the end of the driveway! :lol In a few weeks, we were going longer and longer, I was understanding what his body language meant and when he might really be done, too hot, or bored with the route, or afraid of something new, or need to potty, or whatever. In a few months, we were going for hikes over an hour and a half every day.

Each dog is an individual, but you'll see a lot of adjustment and change as your pup gets used to her new world. Oh, and ... uh ... maybe hang onto that leash until you're inside your fence with the gate closed, just in case she decides this is the time to finally go see the world without her human-anchor! ;)

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Guest ChloeMom

Thanks for all your advice.

Like Sheila, when we first got Brilly, he would really protest going for more than out the end of the driveway! :lol In a few weeks, we were going longer and longer, I was understanding what his body language meant and when he might really be done, too hot, or bored with the route, or afraid of something new, or need to potty, or whatever. In a few months, we were going for hikes over an hour and a half every day.

Each dog is an individual, but you'll see a lot of adjustment and change as your pup gets used to her new world. Oh, and ... uh ... maybe hang onto that leash until you're inside your fence with the gate closed, just in case she decides this is the time to finally go see the world without her human-anchor! ;)

Guest mandm

Could be anything or nothing. But if you haven't already, I'd run a full TBD panel (including Babesia). I've had TBD dogs who did this.