If It's Not One Dog, It's Another!

Guest taylorsmom

Guest taylorsmom

Hello again--

Well, first it was Lucy's hot spot, then it was Rita's foot (which is still pretty nasty, unfortunately!! but I will update that in the other thread), now it is my bomb-proof Taylor. Through all the issues with the other two, Taylor seemed untouchable. Now, this morning, I just picked a deer tick off her head. :bugeye . Oh, man!! Now, I am trying not to overreact, but I was wondering of course about Lyme disease. Does anyone know how soon after you find a tick on your dog that you should get them tested? I am thinking right away, but maybe there is some incubation period otherwise we might get a false positive? What kind of treatment should we expect if it is Lyme? I have never gone through this one either with a dog, I guess this is my time for "firsts". Anyway, I am so grateful for this board and the collective wisdom and support here, I cannot tell you.

So here is my poor princess, she is such a teeny peanut:

IMG_0035-1.jpg

She does NOT like sitting on her daddy's lap, unlike her sister Rita:

IMG_0063.jpg

But she does love to hang out with her best bud Lucy:

IMG_0040-1.jpg

and is trying to get Lucy to quit smoking, it's not working!!

IMG_0198.jpg

Thanks for the help, everyone!! I know this could be a whole lot worse, these are all relatively minor issues that can clear up, not life-threatening or crippling like I know many others are dealing with here, it is just hard to deal with sometimes, ya know?? :blink:

Your pictures and puppies are adorable. I wouldn't panic about the tick. Do you use Fronline? If you do, more than likely it would kill the tick before there was time to transmit anything. Was the tick you took from her head bloated? Also what was the size/type of tick?

I'm not sure about incubation periods, but if the tick wasn't at all bloated it probably didn't have a chance to have a meal yet.

Aero: http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?d=kees+uncatchable; our bridge angel (1/04/02-8/2/07) Snickers; our bridge angel (1/04/02-2/29/08) Cricket; Kanga Roo: oops girl 5/26/07; Doctor Thunder http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?z=P_31Oj&a...&birthland=

Guest taylorsmom

Unfortunately, it was a teeny tick, which I believe is the deer tick. It was embedded, and I think was feeding. I don't know how big they get if they are bloated, it was still pretty tiny like the size of a poppy seed. I don't use Frontline, I usually use natural flea and tick preventives. I am kicking myself, however, because we were out at a park yesterday and I forgot to reapply the preventives. I am so upset with myself!!

Don't worry about it. The tick needs to be attached for 36 hours before it will transmit disease. I'm guessing from it's location that you would have noticed it within that timeframe.

Most vets now use the 3D snap test to test for heartworm/lyme/ehrlichia so when you take her in for her yearly exam, you can make sure the vet uses that one and checks for it.

Of course, keep your eyes out for symptoms, but I really wouldn't worry. It's 1 tick, likely not infected, and likely not on there long enough to transmit infection.

But do start using Frontline plus!

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

What NeylasMom said.

Darling puppers :wub: .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I live in the woods and have been picking ticks off the crew for years (and off me too). Last year my chow tested positive (found out at her heartworm test) and just needed antibiotics and the vaccine. A tick on the head was probably not on there long enough to have been a problem. You would have noticed it. Not all ticks carry the disease anyway. I wouldn't worry.

Guest taylorsmom

thank you so much everyone!! I spoke with my vet and he basically said the same thing. Also, he couldn't check for Lyme for a little while anyway, so I will go ahead and have her tested at her next yearly exam (in July) unless she shows symptoms beforehand.