Dislocated Toe?

Guest MyGreyAster

Guest MyGreyAster

Aster was running in the yard today and yipped really loudly. She was favoring her left foot, and when I got close, I could see her toe was pointing the wrong direction! Without thinking, I moved it, and it popped back into place. Another yip, and then she was walking, favoring it for a bit, but now seems fine. First of all, is that a common thing for a grey to dislocate a toe? I'm assuming that's what she did. And secondly, should I be on the lookout for anything now?

Guest KennelMom

Sounds dislocated to me. We've had a couple dislocated - one popped back in itself, a couple I had to pop back in and one that the vet had to do b/c I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I usually soak it in ice water 3-4 times a day for the first few days and after that just keep activity to a minimum for a couple weeks. Some dogs seem more prone to dislocated toes than others. It's one reason I keep nails short and even then it can happen if they make a sharp turn.