What Is This On Rita's Foot?

Guest taylorsmom

Guest taylorsmom

Thank you so so so much Ann!!! That was extremely helpful. Rita's paw bled some afterwards but not profusely. I am a bit concerned that my vet did not entirely wash all the "seeds" out as completely as needs to be done, but now that I know what to do and what to expect, if it comes back I will probably try to do it myself (if I can work up to be "stout of heart"--we shall see!! I think Rita was braver about it than I was!).

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After reading this thread, it makes me wonder if Rascal had a seed wart.

Check it out...this was a while back, the vet and I both thought there was some foreign object in there which eventually "bealed out"....could this have been a seed wart??

soretoe1220.jpg

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

Guest taylorsmom

Check it out...this was a while back, the vet and I both thought there was some foreign object in there which eventually "bealed out"....could this have been a seed wart??

That certainly looks a whole like how Rita's started!! Did it not become terribly infected? I wonder why Rita's became so darned infected??

That certainly looks a whole like how Rita's started!! Did it not become terribly infected? I wonder why Rita's became so darned infected??

As you can see, it was quite swollen and extremely sore for her....she was also on antibiotics. Once the thing broke open it was a lot better....if this happens again I will certainly suggest to my vet that it is a seed wart!

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

Guest taylorsmom

Just wanted to let everyone know that Rita is doing much better as of today. It was the first day she was able to go for two short walks around the block, and she was so happy. The wound in her foot is healing up nicely. It is taking the swelling a very long time to go down, though, even with the two different antibiotics she is on. The top of the foot swelling has receded a great deal but the toe itself still looks a little "sausage-like". But her usual goofy self is back, she was even chasing my Lab around the yard a little bit, but kept getting distracted by those silly Thera-paws her mean old mommy made her wear!

Thank you so much, everyone, for your thoughts, your support and most of all your diagnosis!!! I just ordered my new edition of the "Care of the Racing Greyhound" too--a most invaluable resource in these kinds of situation, second only to Greytalkers!!

Here is Rita at the adoption kennel where we got her--she picked my husband out for a dancing partner:

Rita001.jpg

Have you ever seen a greyhound get held so much? I think she is getting spoiled:

100_0616.jpg

Aw, it's good to hear she is doing better. Gosh, she's pretty. I would watch that husband tho, looks to me like he has eyes for another woman ;) .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'd never heard of the papilloma viruses doing that. I looked it up in the Merck Veterinary Manual (emphasis mine):

"In dogs, 3 clinical presentations of canine papilloma virus infection have been described. The first is canine mucous membrane papillomatosis, which primarily affects young dogs. It is characterized by the presence of multiple warts on oral mucous membranes from lips to (occasionally) the esophagus and on the conjunctival mucous membranes and adjacent haired skin. When the oral cavity is severely affected, there is interference with mastication and swallowing. A viral etiology has been clearly established for these lesions. The second presentation is cutaneous papillomas, which are indistinguishable from the warts that develop on or around mucous membranes. However, they are more frequently solitary and develop on older dogs. Cocker Spaniels and Kerry Blue Terriers may be predisposed. A definitive viral etiology has not been established, and lesions may be confused with cutaneous tags. Recently, a syndrome characterized by papillomatosis of one or more footpads has been described. Clinically, lesions appear as multiple, raised keratin horns. A viral etiology has been suggested but not proven. The third presentation is cutaneous inverted papillomas, which have more in common clinically with intracutaneous cornifying epitheliomas. In this disease of young, mature dogs, lesions most commonly develop on the ventral abdomen where they appear as raised papulonodules with a keratotic center. Infrequently, viral papillomas in dogs may progress to invasive squamous cell carcinomas."

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

There was very little reference online (including the Merck manual) to this condition in greyhounds. Most of the references were to papillomas occurring in the oral cavity.

This is from Care of the Racing Greyhound (pg. 141)

Papillomas

Papillomas are rapidly growing white cauliflower-like protuberances occurring on the skin surface. the causative agent is a virus that gains entry to the skin following trauma. There is an incubation period of approximately 6 weeks between the time of virus invasion and the appearance of the rapidly growing painful papilloma.

Clinical Signs

These growths almost invariably appear on the lower limbs below the hock and the wrist. The reason appears to be that the virus resides in the sand at the tracks and invades the skin following minor injury. Papillomas that grow in the nail bed (skin-nail junction)are the most painful while those on the webbing and toes, although discomforting, appear to be associated with less lameness. Papillomas usually occur in several sites at the same time, i.e., up to eight or ten may occur on one Greyhound over a period of 7 days.

Treatment

Papillomas are removed manually in the following manner. First, disinfect the area with Betadine (tamed iodine soap and solution) or other antiseptic. Secondly, manually express the papilloma between the thumb nails. In some instances, local anesthesia may be required to do this. Following removal of the papilloma, there is a short period of intense bleeding which may be controlled by standing the foot in the above antiseptic solutions or by holding a swab (gauze) firmly over the area. Finally, a cotton swab soaked in undiluted Betadine should be held in the remaining hole from which the papilloma was removed for a period of 60 seconds. This prevents infection and ensures destruction of any residual virus particles. The papilloma which has been removed should be incinerated or carefully discarded to avoid contamination of the environment. Dipping the feet in diluted Betadine or other iodophors or diluted chlorine solution (household bleach, 1 part bleach to 5 parts water) will aid in prevention of papillomas if performed on a regular daily basis or during a period of outbreak.

There was a pretty good photo (Figure 10-4 - Plate XV), but I was unable to scan it tonite.

Glad to hear that Rita is doing better! :)

Ann

NewSiggy09b.jpg

Oh Rita is just the most adorable little girlie! Those pics with poppa are just priceless! Even my hubby "aaaawwwwwww-ed" over them :lol

SO glad she's feeling better! :)

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Guest taylorsmom
There was very little reference online (including the Merck manual) to this condition in greyhounds. Most of the references were to papillomas occurring in the oral cavity.

There was a pretty good photo (Figure 10-4 - Plate XV), but I was unable to scan it tonite.

Glad to hear that Rita is doing better! :)

I also found very little actual information online about this.

Actually, it was this picture you referred to in the Plates in Care of the Racing Greyhound that ended up convincing me. It was very similar to the original photos I had posted of how the thing on her foot looked initially, before it became all infected and blew up her foot.

I guess what really matters is that there doesn't seem to be anything else going on (like a tumor or foreign body--these were ruled out in the X-rays taken by the e-vet) and the treatment recommended in the Care of the racing greyhound book, in combination with the antibiotics seems to be working.

Guest Cagey_Crow

Is there any new Ideas for treating the plantar warts? I have tried that holistic voodoo and the one plantar turned into 4. one on each paw.