What Is This On Rita's Foot?

Guest taylorsmom

It just appeared today. During our walk she seemed to slow down a bit, which is unusual for her, which made me think that she may have traumatized it on the walk. But it is such a distinct swelled area, that's why I thought corn. I guess it could have gotten traumatized and then developed the corn, no? That is how I develop corns on my toes--they get traumatized by the gosh darn high heels I wear sometimes!!

Thanks for the sweet words about Rita, I love seeing her sit on her daddy's lap too. It is also her favorite place to roo!!

Don't know about the foot but LOVED the picture. I take it you didn't go to the picnic today? We missed you! I went for 2 hours. 3 hours each way by car!

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest taylorsmom

Robin--We did go to the picnic for a little while, but we left poor Rita home. I cannot believe I did not find you--I even asked a couple of people if they had seen you and they pointed me in various directions!! I was hoping to meet you and your dogs and especially our heroic Beau, who sounds like he is doing better and better every day!! We must have been on one side of the park and you all were on the other side. I also did not get to meet Karen (greytmonty) did you see her there? It was a wonderful event, wasn't it?

Thanks for the advice on the seed wart, everyone. I am going to call my vet first thing tomorrow morning to see if he could see her and clean out the wart. I am just concerned about all the swelling and if there is a secondary infection.

Yeah, there might be a secondary infection along with it. It doesn't usually cause the whole foot to swell, just the immediate area around it.

Those who would give up Essential Liberty
to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
Ben Franklin

. I also did not get to meet Karen (greytmonty) did you see her there?

She was with me the whole time I was there. It was Chloe's 3rd birthday and I located her littermate. We had a party. See post under Everything else Greyhound!

Chloe was wearing the pink visor.

Did not mean to hijack thread. Let me know about Ms. Rita's foot.

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest rrkingmccue

You just pop them by squeezing...just like a pimple. No needle! It WILL be painful, and they WILL sream. Do muzzle, no matter how sweet you think your dog is. Make sure to get every "seed" out to insure healing.

Guest taylorsmom

She is not doing well. The swelling has not gone down one bit in her foot after two days of a pretty strong antibiotic. She is also in more pain, it seems, and won't walk much at all. My husband lanced the nasty thing and some blood came out but we could not bring ourselves to squeeze, and unfortunately I could not see any white stuff in there. It is so swollen!! So I am bringing her to the vet in about an hour and see if he can clean it out and tell us for sure what the heck is going on with her poor foot. I will keep you all posted, thank so much for asking!! And BlackandBrindle, your siggy pics are sooooo adorable!!

Guest taylorsmom

Just got back from the vet's about an hour ago. He doesn't know what it is, and when I said "Could it be a seed wart?" he looked at me like I was crazy and said, no it is definitely not a wart. But he squeezed out lots and lots of white junk that sounds EXACTLY like the description other GT'ers have given of seed warts. What is it, that vets just don't know much about greyhounds or do we just speak another language?? And just what is a seed wart anyway? is it a real wart, like a plantars wart, or another term for an infection? I think he got all the white "seeds" out and we are left with this giant hole. We will keep it real clean, and he gave us another antibiotic to take (Baytril) in addition to the one Rita is already on, he said it was one of the worst toe infections he has seen!!!

Anyway, Rita was an absolute doll throughout the procedure--she was just shaking in horrible pain poor girl. But only a mini-GSOD!! And get this, right in the midst of the worst of the clean-out, there was a huge crack of thunder (Rita is a bit thunder phobic, and has a really bad mommy that forgot to give her the Mellow Out herbal remedy that really helps her during thunderstorms). She jumped about a mile high, as did the vet and vet tech, but they were able to finish the procedure with no further mishaps.

I hope this really helps the infection clear up now for good. Thanks again, everyone!!

Wow! And yuck! :lol So was the "white stuff" like pus, or something else? (sorry, just perverse curiosity...)

I hope this means you're nearing an end to Rita's foot woes. :goodluck:

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

It was a seed wart! The more formal term “viral papilloma.” These are benign skin tumors caused by the canine oral papillomavirus. - the tendancy to get them is passed along through the mother. Generally they occur in a dog less then 3 years old. It's amazing how many times vets don't recognize something that seems common to greyhound people.

Ann

NewSiggy09b.jpg

Guest chigal950

Oooh how painful but I hope she is starting to feel better soon now that the big bad nasty has been evacuated. Extra hugs and scritches tonight. Keep us posted.

Guest taylorsmom
It was a seed wart! The more formal term “viral papilloma.” These are benign skin tumors caused by the canine oral papillomavirus. - the tendancy to get them is passed along through the mother. Generally they occur in a dog less then 3 years old. It's amazing how many times vets don't recognize something that seems common to greyhound people.

That is so interesting, thanks Chicocat for the info. So I wonder if that means this is something she is going to get recurrently :huh ??? I sure do hope not! But at least now I know what to do--bring that sucker to a head and pop it as quick as possible before her whole foot blows up like a balloon with toes, like it did this time!!

I think the white stuff is the viral gunk or something--the vet said it did not look like regular pus to him. Ugh. So sorry for the graphic descriptions. I hope this is the end of the foot woes and Rita is back to sitting in her daddy's lap and rooing tomorrow so I can get a video to post here and show you all!!

It was a seed wart! The more formal term "viral papilloma." These are benign skin tumors caused by the canine oral papillomavirus. - the tendancy to get them is passed along through the mother. Generally they occur in a dog less then 3 years old. It's amazing how many times vets don't recognize something that seems common to greyhound people.

That's really interesting to know. What is the source of your info for skeptical vets. Thanks.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Guest taylorsmom
That's really interesting to know. What is the source of your info for skeptical vets. Thanks.

I think Chicocat was referring to my frustration that my vet kept saying that he did not know what this was but dismissed what I said I had heard about seed warts from greyhound-knowledgeable people.

About the seed warts? Lots of experience seeing them in greyhounds and Care of the Racing Greyhound.

The fact that her vet did not recognize it as a seed wart? I don't find it surprising that he had (apparently) not seen one before. On the other hand, a vet that has hundreds of greyhounds in his practice from racing kennels would have known it immediately.

I attended a Veterinary Conference in Kansas City, where we provided greyhounds from the adoption kennel for a wellness exam seminar. The seminar was given by Dr. Herron. It included general methods of examining a greyhound for injuries and recognizing LS. None of the vets who examined the dog I was holding had used these techniques of general exam. They are used daily by greyhound trainers.

Vets with a broad range of greyhound experience just have the opportunity to see more. That was my point.

Ann

NewSiggy09b.jpg

About the seed warts? Lots of experience seeing them in greyhounds and Care of the Racing Greyhound.

The fact that her vet did not recognize it as a seed wart? I don't find it surprising that he had (apparently) not seen one before. On the other hand, a vet that has hundreds of greyhounds in his practice from racing kennels would have known it immediately.

I attended a Veterinary Conference in Kansas City, where we provided greyhounds from the adoption kennel for a wellness exam seminar. The seminar was given by Dr. Herron. It included general methods of examining a greyhound for injuries and recognizing LS. None of the vets who examined the dog I was holding had used these techniques of general exam. They are used daily by greyhound trainers.

Vets with a broad range of greyhound experience just have the opportunity to see more. That was my point.

No no I understood that. I was meaning is there a source/ written info one could show a vet who was unfamiliar with this problem. I had a very quick look in Care of the Racing Greyhound and only found warts in reference to corns. Mind you I didn't have time to really look carefully. Thanks.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Guest taylorsmom

HI Susan--

I know what you mean, I was thinking the same thing in terms of finding a reference to show a skeptical vet. Because of Chicocat's great reminder about "Care of the Racing Greyhound" (duh...don't know why I didn't think to reference it right away on my own!!) I did look at the whole writeup. It is a pretty good writeup but not terribly convincing. The thing that helped me, that I would take in next time it happens (actually, IF it happens again!!not when) was the photograph in the color pictures. That looked almost exactly like the initial photo I posted when this first started on Rita's foot. I think part of the problem for my vet was that the secondary infection made her toe and foot so horribly distorted that the seed wart was not as clear to see and ended up looking quite different from the original pictures. I should have taken my camera in to show him also, just to give the benefit of the doubt!! :)

I've been looking online for some good information and really don't find anything that relates well to this in greyhounds. The best information I found was on GT from racing people. :)

Owens kennel: Looks like a seed wart.....in the kennel all we would do is kind of squeeze it like a zit and get all the icky stuff out....then soak the foot in water and betadine. If you don't feel comfortable take yours to the vet and have them do it. It is a little painful just because of the pressure...just like a large zit on your forehead...

Perfectweather (Myke): A wart is a viral infection and dogs pick them up from the dirt, yard, sand in the turn-out pen. They are sometimes quite painful to walk on and can be compared to a boil in that area.

The center of the wart is made up of hard white heads, or seeds. Becareful, these will cause re-occurance and should be cleaned up and disposed of quickly and completely.

Some warts go away by themselves, some don't. You can squeeze it like a zit if you are stout of heart because you dog is gonna scream and it's going to bleed - since each seed has attached itself to the host - which is of course, your dogs foot.

I wouldn't do it in my living room - but someplace outside. A hose is nice to wash the foot.

Don't be alarmed if the seeds leave a gaping hole. Keep it clean, dry and it will be gone before you know it.

BTW, if the wart bleeds, you've gotten all the heads and it's clear. If not, it probably will come back.

The virus that causes these warts is very similar to the typical corns that cause our hounds so much trouble.

I haven't seen the "new" Care of the Racing Greyhound, but hopefully this is addressed in the adoption section. Good luck with your vets on this.

Ann

NewSiggy09b.jpg