What Is This On Rita's Foot?

Guest taylorsmom

Guest taylorsmom

Hello everyone--

Rita started limping this evening and when I checked her out thoroughly I discovered this on the outer edge of her paw pad. It is a raised bump, it looks inflamed and is very sore to the touch, but no broken skin. I was wondering at first if she traumatized her foot on some stone gravel on our walk this afternoon. Then I thought maybe it is a corn? The only pictures I have seen of corns, however, have been here and they were more in the center of the pad. Could it be a corn on the outer edge of the pad? Poor girl--what should I do? Should I wrap it with cotton between the toes to give it some padding? The nail of the next toe must be rubbing up on it when she walks.

Here are some pictures--not so clear, hopefully you can see well enough--

IMG_0244.jpg

and another view:

IMG_0245.jpg

and a picture of Rita doing what she loves best, sitting on her daddy's lap!!

IMG_0231.jpg

Thanks for any suggestions!!!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest StriderDog

Another non-corn expert here... but I had to say that your pup is ADORABLE!! (and I love the kitty getting into trouble on the table!)

Did this just appear today or has she been favoring the paw for a while?

Guest taylorsmom

It just appeared today. During our walk she seemed to slow down a bit, which is unusual for her, which made me think that she may have traumatized it on the walk. But it is such a distinct swelled area, that's why I thought corn. I guess it could have gotten traumatized and then developed the corn, no? That is how I develop corns on my toes--they get traumatized by the gosh darn high heels I wear sometimes!!

Thanks for the sweet words about Rita, I love seeing her sit on her daddy's lap too. It is also her favorite place to roo!!

Guest StriderDog

If you search this forum for "interdigital cyst" you might some helpful advice - in my absolutely un-expert opinion, I'd think cyst before I think corn in your case.

Guest Scouts_mom

I've never heard of a corn in that area of the paw. I wonder if some sand or something irritated that area and then the nail on the next toe over just inflamed it. I think I might wash it, put some antibiotic cream like neosporin on it, then try to wrap it with cotton between the toes and see if it disappears.

Good luck.

Guest mleg2001

from the first picture with looks like it has the little whitish dots, if so probably a seed wart, i had to pop one on a foster, the head of it was already coming out when I first seen it, learned later what it was when perfectweather described it here, and it did bleed at bit after but the foster was able to walk comfortably in a little while after it was removed, it was the same location beside the pad

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php?showto...mp;hl=seed+wart

Edited by mleg2001

Guest taylorsmom

okay, we woke up this morning and Rita's toe is much worse! The whole toe is swollen and reddened, so it is off to the e-vet I go. Poor baby, she is really hurting. Please think good thoughts for Rita, I don't know what this could be??????

Olga has something like this on her foot. She won't let me touch any of her toes so I haven't messed with it. It is better but I will have the vet check it at her appt on the 25th.

What did the evet say?

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Guest mirthlesstroll

The first photo did look like a corn, but the second one looked like a boil. Maybe she got a little cut that became infected. :kiss2 Feel better, sweetie!

I've no experience with seed warts, but I can say it does not look like any corn I've ever seen. And I agree with everyone else-- that pic of her in daddy's lap is waaaay too cute! :wub:

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Guest taylorsmom

Just got back from the e-vet. It is definitely not a corn. They took x-rays, and nothing is broken and there is no foreign body lodged in there--all good. But he still did not know what it is. I hate that!! Some kind of soft tissue infection. I thought it looked like a boil, too. Perhaps it was a cut or abrasion that just got infected. Anyway, he gave us an antibiotic and some painkillers and told us to soak it several times a day. I tried to clean it with a little witch hazel and aloe and she screamed!! So I will only soak it and keep her off it today. It is such a bummer--today is our adoption group's annual picnic. We just adopted Rita last November and I was looking forward to bringing her to the picnic and entering her in the rooing contest. If you can imagine this, which I think you can, she and her daddy sing together when she is sitting in his lap, in just the sweetest way possible. I am sure she would have won the contest!! Oh, well :( Just hope she gets better quick--thanks for everyone's well wishes and good thoughts!

Try soaking it with warm water and epsom salts. That might help ease the pain a little bit. Poor baby. I'm sorry you'll miss the picnic. I think you need to post a video of your rooing trick, it sounds adorable! :)

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Guest needlenoselover

Poor baby!! I'm glad you took her to the evet and got her antibiotics. I would still call the regular vet tomorrow morning for a second opinion.

She is GORGEOUS Nancy!! You are one lucky gh mom!

Sorry your missing the picnic. I hope the weather holds out for it.

Guest IrskasMom

Hugs and Well Wishes never come to late . Hoping Rita ( just adorable ) is much better now.

:grouphug:dogcookie:grouphug:dogcookie:grouphug:dogcookie:grouphug

Edited by IrskasMom

It's a seed wart. Soak it with Epsom salts and if you're lucky it'll pop itself when she's running around. :lol Sometimes you have to do it. It's gross and moderately bloody but you have to make sure the little seed comes out, it usually becomes apparent after a few days, they look like giant pimples. :sick They almost always show up right on the edge where the pad starts.

Edited by Cheryl2

Those who would give up Essential Liberty
to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
Ben Franklin

Poor little Rita. I hope that the antibiotics take care of the problem. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest taylorsmom
It's a seed wart. Soak it with Epsom salts and if you're lucky it'll pop itself when she's running around. :lol Sometimes you have to do it. It's gross and moderately bloody but you have to make sure the little seed comes out, it usually becomes apparent after a few days, they look like giant pimples. :sick They almost always show up right on the edge where the pad starts.

I think this must be what it is, but can a seed wart make the whole toe really swell up? I can see where it looks like a giant pimple, I just soaked it in Epsom salts and the white center of it is even more apparent, but the rest of her toe and the entire top of her foot are all swollen. I gave her the dose of antibiotic this morning but the swelling is no better (it's also no worse which is good) but she is definitely not running around. I am going to try to get her in to see her regular vet tomorrow. Those with seed wart experience--at what point do you decide to pop it yourself? I am not relishing the thought of doing that but I will do just about anything to make her feel better, no matter how gross! But I am afraid of causing her more pain--I hear the GSOD everytime I touch anywhere near the foot.

Edited by taylorsmom

Guest sheila

If it was me I would pop it sooner rather than later because that means the pain will be gone and the healing can begin. I would start by soaking in warm water to make sure it's soft and then use something like a sterilized needle and quickly give it a poke using enough pressure to make sure the needle goes in the first time. You might want to muzzle the dog when you do this in case there is any pain/fear bite reaction.