Pills

Guest neenieca

I gave up with all the hiding/sneaky methods. I just open Donovan's mouth, put the pill way back and close his mouth. He swallows and gets a treat. Done :)

Well, for our second effort at giving Penny her new meds, we tried the braunschweiger. Penny loved it, but managed to eat all the meat and leave the pill! We tried several times, were successful on one attempt (hooray!), but finally gave up and resorted to the "cramming" method with braunschweiger and bologna as a reward. It took many efforts to get the pill far enough back in her throat, and some of the pills still had braunschweiger on them, so by the time we were done, it was on Penny's forehead and ears, all over my hands, and up to my elbows. Lol. But she got her meds, darn it!

Hopefully tomorrow morning will go more smoothly. Thanks, all!

That's what we do, as the pups figure it out after awhile and then they won't eat whatever it is ever again. So now we cram and hold said treat in front of nose which causes swallowing, and then they get the treat- :lol

I agree, pilling sucks.

Guest longdogs

Some pills must taste or smell bad and it's hard to fool them once they've learned what you're doing. Hiding pills in deep slits cut in chunks of raw meat can work, as can making small sandwiches with a thick filling of something like liver pate. The only failsafe way is to learn to put in on the base of their tongue.

Guest Cris_M

When Gabriel got to where he was taking more than 20 pills a day, putting them at the back of his mouth was no longer an option. We needed to come up with something that was a reward.

What worked for us was raw ground turkey. It has a very fine but sticky texture that coats a pill and is difficult to remove. A small bit goes a long way so it is best to freeaze any you won't use in a couple of days.

Instead of hiding when I started opening pill bottles, Gabriel started begging for them.

Best wishes on finding something that works for your sweetie.

Guest MorganKonaAlex

Pill pockets didn't work for me. For the dogs that are "on to" peanut butter, I just manually pill.

One idea for pills that dissolve quickly: I have clear gel capsules on hand that I bought from a pharmacy. If I have to pill

many small pills, (or something bitter), I put them inside the capsule and down it goes.

Guest harthounds

I have tp put the pills down Jackie's throat too - she can pick a tiny soloxine out of green tripe! THAT is dedication!