Pills

Guest neenieca

Guest neenieca

Penny is starting 2 new pills today: 1.5 Baytril (chewable) and 1 flagyl every 12 hours. I tried to get her to eat the Baytril on her own, since it's edible, and she refused. (No big surprise there.) But, now the clever girl is on to me! No matter what I tried to hide the Baytril in - cheese, hot dog, peanut butter - she wouldn’t eat it. And then she wouldn't take the Flagyl either. She sniffed it and then literally turned her head away with a look that said "How dumb do you think I am? I know there's medicine in there." I finally tried putting them down her throat without food, but I'd never done that before and they just popped right back out. (I felt awful doing that to her, too.)

So, now the pills have disintegrated into a powdery mess. Ugh. I'm going to get some lunch meat this afternoon - that has to work, right?

C'mon, Pen...just take your medicine! Puh-leeez?

Jennie

Guest greytmonty

I think Monty phoned Penny and they put their heads together on this one. He too is onto ALL tricks pills. We are now rotating treats with and without pills in the hopes of fooling him, as he gets pills twice a day. Fig newtons, a hot dog, chicken, we try it all. It is frustrating and he is so suspicious of us!

What you need is three pieces of the treat, and put the pill (or pills) in pieces #2. Give her piece #1 (no pill) first, you can even make her sit so that she thinks she's getting something really good. Then, show her piece #2 (with pill) and #3 (no pill) at the same time. Hand her piece #2 while holding piece #3 in front of her face - most dogs will swallow the pilled piece quickly so they can get the third treat. :D

Doesn't work for all dogs, but it's worth a try. When I was pilling on of my dogs I would get a chunk of salami or pepperoni (not sliced, a length of it from the deli section). Then instead of wrapping the pill in the slice you can cut a thick chunk and carve out a hole for the pill inside it, I find that hides it better.

Guest HersheysMom

I know it sounds mean but have you thought of resorting to a pill dispenser? We had to do this for Star when we could no longer hide the pills in anything. It's like a long tube with a plunger....you insert the pill and then insert the plunger...put over the dog's tongue and off to the side, push the plunger and it'll go right down. It's even easier if you coat the pills in butter first. This works well for capsules and will work for the flagyl, but I know the size of the Baytril and unfortunately it's not going to fit in there. Maybe it could be broken?

Here's a link:

Pill Dispenser

Guest simile

Mmmm.... pill taking. How fun is that!?

So, if the pills will dissolve, you could try dissolving them in a tablespoon (or so) of water, then mixing it with her regular food - if she's a good eater. If no treats, hiding, or sneakiness will work, then it the old toss to the back of the mouth/throat and rub. Open her mouth and toss the pill back as far as you can (don't just place it on the back of the tongue, they'll spit it out faster than you can move your fingers), then close her mouth, keeping the snout pointed up, and rub her throat. If you can do it a couple times, it'll get easier, quicker, and less traumatic. Good luck - goodness knows I HATE giving pills.

Guest SillyDog

Sometimes I just put the pill in the back of their throats (way down), close the mouth and wait for a swallow. If you're matter of fact about it, it won't be a big deal for most.

Guest ss556

Well Alan gets several pills twice a day and mixing it in Ricotta cheese has always worked. I suggested it to a friend and her dog takes it that way too.

Guest Stretchy

yup, stretch has also figured all the ways that we hide pills, so we just open his mouth and put the pill at the back of his throat. Once you get used to doing it that way, it's no big deal.

I like the baiting trick that Ola described. Once you get it going, you can do it a few times a day so she'll think she's getting treats ALL the time! :chow Other food items to try are cream cheese, liverwurst or mixing it in with canned stinky fish. Check with the vet to see if the meds might upset her stomach so you can head that off before it starts.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest CocktailGirl

Cocktail is on various medications. Her seizure med is a beef flavor soft chewy tablet that she gets twice a day and we hide her incontinence med in there too. She outright refuses this med becaause she has been taking it for so many years now, doesn't matter what flavor I order from the vet. So she gets pilled morning and night with that. She is also now on deramaxx once a day and so far I am able to hid it in cream cheese but I have no problem pilling her if I have to. Me or DH will open her mouth, pop the pill way back and then close her mouth and rub her neck down so that she swallows.

I hope Penny starts taking her pills again soon.

Guest mandm

I'm not sure about Baytril, but Flagyl is very bitter. So crushing it and adding to food would probably not work. I use Velveeta or cream cheese for the gullible ones, and cramming for the not so gullible ones. You can make cramming seem friendlier by following it up with a treat. If the follow-up treat is good, I find they come running to get crammed when they hear the shake of the pill bottle. If you cram, you have to shove the pill (or 2 or 3 pills) all the way down her throat and hold her mouth closed, nose pointed up, for a second or two to make her swallow. Scratching the throat with one hand while holding up the closed muzzle with the other hand after you have pilled them seems to make them instictively swallow.

Guest neenieca
I use Velveeta or cream cheese for the gullible ones, and cramming for the not so gullible ones. You can make cramming seem friendlier by following it up with a treat.

:lol MandM, you made me laugh with your term "cramming." Too funny...but yeah, that's essentially what it is!

Thanks, all, for the great ideas. I will be picking up some ricotta and fig newtons along with lunch meat this afternoon. I want to exhaust all non-cramming possibilities before I resort to that. (Penny didn't seem to care, but *I* was a nervous wreck when I tried to do it.) I will do it if I have to, though. The dispenser is also a good idea to keep in mind, thanks!

Does anybody else's pup lick off the pb or cream cheese and leave the pill? She certainly is a clever one...

Thanks again,

Jennie

Guest greytmonty
Does anybody else's pup lick off the pb or cream cheese and leave the pill? She certainly is a clever one...

Thanks again,

Jennie

Monty likes to eat all around the pill and just spit it out!

Does anybody else's pup lick off the pb or cream cheese and leave the pill?

Yes! It didn't even work the first time for me. :( That's why I get something solid like a chunk of salami or cheese.

Guest greytexplorer

If I crush the pill(s), I can mix it in with a tablespoon of can cat food. Mandy loves that!

Recently I discovered that the easy squeezy cheesy stuff in the can works too. Jst sandwich the pills in between small layers of the squeeze cheese. Mandy likes that too, and I don't even have to bother with pill crushing now!

Guest MountainHounds

I use braunschweiger

braunschweiger.jpg

Kavana got to the point where he could eat whatever it was I put the pill in and then spit out the pill. Cream cheese, peanut butter, hot dogs, cheese. I was just doing the "cramming" method, but it was tough since he only gets 3/4 of a deramaxx and the cut edges of those big pills can be rough on his throat. So I got some of this on sale at the grocery store one day and tried it. It's soft enough that I can take a little bit and ball it up with the pill inside. It stinks to high heaven :puke, but the pup loves it! I still have to use the bait & switch method occasionally, but most of the time I put it on top of his food when I feed him and he just gobbles it down, pill and all.

Guest onlymrsp

Hi WCJ & Penny,

OK, Coaster is doing the same dang thing here too. I've tried cream cheese, I've tried the liverwerst, I've tried the treat things and all failed..........Coaster will take the "treat" given him, but will spit out the pill ENTACTED. Go figure.........new talent. So, now I just put it into his food and mix it up. Sometimes it works, others not. A few times I've had to resort to the old "shove it down the gullet", hold the muzzle closed and gently stroke his throat till it goes down.

Good to see ya here WCJ.....take care and keep in touch.

ECJ & gang

Guest Greensleeves

The Baytril can be broken. Whistler was on this several times, and would not eat the chewable either (I know those drug manufacturers mean well, but really. Sheesh. Just give us a darn capsule, already!). We would break the Baytril into quarters (or thirds, depending on how it broke), and then put each smaller piece into something.

When he was REALLY picky, we found Zingers (or Twinkies) worked *very* well. For regular meds, NutriGrain yoghurt bars are our standby (tasty, easily eaten, sticky center that holds the pill, etc). I also had pretty good luck with the moist cuts of meat in canned dog food. Many dogs find canned cat food appealing, so that's another option.

You might also try and see if you have better luck with A DIFFERENT HUMAN administering the meds. DH was always more successful at getting Whistler to eat than I was; my mom's dog Ricca is deeply suspicious of *her,* but will let my dad or a friend give her meds, etc. It can be hard to know what's going on in their heads. One of Whistler's favorite treats was this skeezy Swiss cheese--but ONLY if DH gave it to him. I was never able to get him to eat it from me. Go figure.

You *can* sometimes get somewhere by smearing pb on the pill, and then sticking the pill to the roof of the dog's mouth--most dogs are baffled by this, but the really determined can learn to lick the pill clean and spit it out. Heck, Whistler once spit out the powder of a crushed pill that had been mixed with peanut butter. He managed to lick the pb off the powder--I kid you not. I found a tiny sticky mess of powder on the floor where he'd been sitting.

Guest D_MansMommy

I gave up with all the hiding/sneaky methods. I just open Donovan's mouth, put the pill way back and close his mouth. He swallows and gets a treat. Done :)

Guest LittleGreys

My picky picky girl takes about 14 pills a day (she has DCM). I about gave up and called it quits because of trying to get the pills in. I am a vet tech, so I am very good at "pill popping", which is the cramming method someone mentioned. But after awhile, when she heard me getting the pills out, she would run and hide which made me feel like a horrible monster. Dr Radcliffe suggested braunschweiger which worked wonders. About made me gag, but, hey, whatever works!! :P

After a few months, she got tired of the braunschweiger, as did I. We switched to pill pockets. They are expensive, but she likes them. She got tired of them for awhile, but I switched flavors and she takes them again. Some of her pills are VERY large and bitter, but she even takes those. (Hope I didn't just jinx myself!!)

Her favorite are the chicken flavor and we get the large size. The XL size seem to be dry and she doesn't like them. The others are very moist.

GOOD LUCK!!

Guest neenieca

Well, for our second effort at giving Penny her new meds, we tried the braunschweiger. Penny loved it, but managed to eat all the meat and leave the pill! We tried several times, were successful on one attempt (hooray!), but finally gave up and resorted to the "cramming" method with braunschweiger and bologna as a reward. It took many efforts to get the pill far enough back in her throat, and some of the pills still had braunschweiger on them, so by the time we were done, it was on Penny's forehead and ears, all over my hands, and up to my elbows. Lol. But she got her meds, darn it!

Hopefully tomorrow morning will go more smoothly. Thanks, all!

Guest KatieGrey

I had the same issue with my cat, he was on Baytril several times last year due to a urinary issue. Baytril tastes horrible and I think once they get the taste in their mouth they can pick it out of anything! I feel their pain though, I cannot take pills, so if I cannot get the pill in liquid form, I have to crush it and mix it with water or juice and take it that way. The pills (especially antibiotics!) taste so bad! They taste like just like poison and the flavor always lingers on your tongue, no wonder why our pets won't eat them!! Back to my kitty though, I had to actually crush the pill up (usually between two spoons or I have a pill crusher I got at Wal-mart for cheap) and mix it with some water and then suck it up into a small syringe and then open my cat's mouth and shoot the mixture into his throat. I felt so bad doing this, but at that point I had tried everything to make him take that Baytril! Funny thing is, I never had an issue with him taking his Valium!!

For my dogs, I usually will stick the pill in the middle of a cheese cube and they eat it right up. I will also bury it in a small peanut butter sandwich, this always seems to work the best. I go really heavy on the peanut butter so they can't pick the pill out.