Just When You Think Its All Better

Guest Kpparker

Guest Kpparker

Hey guys, if you remember I posted about a week ago about Tavi's anal glands being impacted. Went to the e-vet and our reg vet so they were expressed twice, or so was thought. He was doing well for the past week, but still paying some attention to his bum which I attributed to previous uncomfortableness (not a word I know) with the area... however this morning DBF took him out and he was scooting.. looked under his tail and a huge sore seemed to have sprung up over night.

I looked at it when I woke up and it was firm and darkish. I had to go to work so I put some of the fuciderm cream on it, called the vet and made an appt for tomorrow morning, and put the cone on his head. While I was in the shower he managed to get the cone off (it was tied to his collar) and he licked/bit the sore part to the point it opened and blood and gooey liquid came out.... so had to rush him to the vet and she flushed out both of his glands, said there was still a lot of stuff in them (like a thick pasty substance) still. He's going to be on antibiotics for 2 weeks and he has a nice big hole in his butt! To top it off I pet the cat there for awhile while I was waiting, and it kicked my allergies in to high gear - so Im here at work sniffling a way with one golf ball eye.. fun!

So I guess this is a word of warning post - if it looks better it might not be! Keep checking those bums because you dont want to see it erupt like it happened for Tav today.

Guest DoofBert

Sorry to hear about the the 'eruption'....surely is scary. Sir D had a similar problem, although not as severe. The antibiotics kicked in, but he needed two courses of them. And, we were required to aply warm compresses to the 'sore area' twice per day... or more.

Wonder if they make preparation H for dogs?

Guest StriderDog

Ouch! We just had a problem like that with a foster-foster (we held him for a fwe days before his real foster family could pick him up) - I had to rush him to the eVet with sores on his hiney and crying every time he tried to lay down. :cry1

Hug Tavi for me and I hope he's feeling better soon!

Edited by StriderDog

Guest Kpparker

Hey everyone

Tavi is doing fine. Back to his usual self. We just have to make sure he doesnt lick his bum, which is hard because he hates wearing the cone or his muzzle. But the open area looks like it is getting better and scabbing over. He's on antibiotics for 2 weeks so hopefully that is enough, if not we'll extend the length of time on antibiotics. He is pooping regularly and doesnt seem like he is uncomfortable so all is good in the world right now, lol.

Susan - you can usually tell if their anal glands are impacted because they start to lick their bums a lot and will even 'scoot' where they drag their bum on the ground. I found it pretty obvious something was wrong with Tavi. Also the glands will likely be raised.

However we went to the vet twice and thought they had been completely cleared out. But they weren't which lead to one of his glands rupturing. The anal glands have to express themselves so if they cant go through the tube or whatever it is that they normally go through then they are forced to come up through the skin. Next time you go to the vet you could have them check Alan's glands but if you've had him for awhile with no problems his body is probably working fine in that area.