Gas

Guest CatsandDog

Guest CatsandDog

After a little over a week I have come to the conclusion that nothing on earth can fart quite like a greyhound...... :unsure

I know you are supposed to avoid soy ingredients - any other tips? For a couple of days there Sadie was pretty brutal. Better now but she can still clear a room once in a while.

Thanks

Jim

Guest iggalicious
I've heard yogurt helps. :dunno

Yeah... yogurt's supposed to be really good for their digestive tract. I think it's two tablespoons a day, but you can give them more. My pups LOVE yogurt. :P

Sounds like your pup needs a different food. Some dogs get gas from soy, others from dairy. Others get it from all sorts of different things. I would start by trying a food with a different protein and carb source and see how that goes.

My grey's gas went away when we switched to raw, fortunately, although he still gets it when he's really stressed.

If you've only had your dog for a week, then it may just be the stress of the initial adjustment and improve in time. The question is can you survive to wait till then. ;)

Guest sheila

Is she new to your home? It might be a bit of stress and may subside once she is feeling more comfortable. If it continues after that you might want to try and find a different brand/flavor of food.

Guest fastdog

Could it be food related? We tried moving our dogs to a new food (Innova) and the gas was just too powerful, even after a couple weeks... at one point I was considering a yogurt IV. Then we switched to the California Natural Chicken and Rice for awhile. Still gas-tastic. Finally settled on California Natural Lamb and Rice, and all is well. They do get bones stuffed with yogurt (frozen overnight) for a treat, so perhaps that is keeping the gas at bay.

Guest SoulsMom

Because Soul was so skinny when he came home I started using yogurt cheese from Trader Joes. No more fluffers! (except when we're doing Meet and Greets at Petco. Not the best timing Soul . . .)

Guest whatahound

I feel your pain. :sick Nikki is my little fart blaster.(She looks so innocent in that siggy picture)

Edited by whatahound

Guest CatsandDog

Who knew so much methane could come out of such a skinny tummy?

Thanks all for the suggestions. I'll try the yogurt. She will think it's a treat and we will save money on air freshener!

If she's new to your home there may be a bit of stress involved but also, if her food has changed along with her surroundings she may just need a bit of time to adjust to the new food too. Piper had been happily (and silently ;) ) eating the same food for a couple of years when the company decided to change the formula a little. Well, it took Piper a couple of very fragrant weeks to adjust to the "improved" formula. Sometimes he'd even wake me at night with the stench. :eek I think tummies, both human and canine, just take a bit of time learning to handle changes and new ingredients. Hope you find some relief soon!

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Guest Redpack

Stress is definitely a factor, especially when they're new. Thought we we just going to have to live with that..um...fragrance. Yogurt helps, but once the pups settled in, it went away. Now it only happens when they've gotten into something they shouldn't have.

Guest GreyDogsRule

Our Seamus (Shamus) has trouble tolerating lots of different types of food and had the horrible gas that seems to go with the problem. We tried many different types of dog food and finally found Eagle Pack Holistic Duck and Oatmeal to work very well for him. We mix ProZyme in his food as well. It is a plant derived enzyme that aids in breaking down food. It also had the side benefit of firming up Seamus's stool.

I buy Prozyme over the Internet. I usually go to BizRate and find the best price that way. Just be careful, some sites sell a smaller container size for the same price as the larger 454 gram container.

Good luck

Sadie is feeling a might bit stressed after being rehomed. Do not worry about it :) Give her a few more weeks to adjust and I bet she will feel right as rain in no time.

Just as an FYI.. Chicken based food gives our guys really stinky farts.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Guest CatsandDog
Just as an FYI.. Chicken based food gives our guys really stinky farts.

Oh no - somebody suggested cut up chicken weiners as a treat so we gave her some last night. I'm afraid to go home now....

Guest paulamariez

I don't know about the chicken products thing. It may be an individualized sensitivity. I give all three of my greyhounds boiled chicken every day in their chow and none of them have any problems with gas from it. And Domino is truly a gas-blaster too! God forbid you give him turkey (go figure, just like chicken), ground beef, etc. and he'll make us so sick in our bedroom from his farting that we need gas masks just to sleep in there! Or another thing that will set him off is change his treats. We have to stick with the same ones always.

Edited by paulamariez