Vet Called

Guest neenieca

Guest neenieca

This is all very new to me, and I'm coming a bit unglued, so I thought I would post here. We took Penny to a new vet on Friday and found out that she has a parasite called coccidia. It's been a rough few days for Pen, and it's obvious that she doesn't feel very well, though I think I'm beginning to see some improvement. The vet sent blood and urine to the lab, and called me this morning to tell me that Penny has hypothyroidism, liver disease (based on crystals in her urine), low white blood cell count and is immunocompromised, should start an antibiotic immediately (in addition to the other antibiotic and the Albon for the coccidia), as well as twice daily medication for the hypothroidism, AND I should probably change her food.

Whoa.

After I picked my jaw up from the floor, I immediately started to research all of this because I know that "acceptable" test results for greyhounds can vary greatly from those of other dogs, and well, because the vet also told us on Friday that Penny has alopecia, and replies to my post here have me skeptical of this vet's greyhound savvy. When I read Suzanne Stack's article on greyhound bloodwork here, and saw that what this vet called "pretty low white blood cell count" was completely acceptable for greyhounds, I decided that enough was enough, and I called our group and got the number of their "no-nonsense" extremely grey-savvy vet in Orange County and made an appointment for Penny tomorrow morning. I'm going to go pick up the test results from the vet we saw last week, but I'm not going to buy the medications yet until the OC vet confirms or denies the diagnoses. (That part feels awful...not giving Penny medication she might need. Am I doing the right thing?)

The thing that has me most upset is the liver disease which the vet seemed to think was because I'm feeding Penny high protein food (Barking at the Moon - 41% protein). I went through SO much with Penny to find her a decent food that she liked and that agreed with her tummy, and this one is IT. It's been a blissful 9 months on one food that she is still crazy about! But I had read before I gave it to her that some pups end up with complications from high protein food, so I'm beside myself with thoughts that I did this to Penny, while at the same time dreading having to find something to replace it.

The guy from our group said that none of this is an "emergency", so I'm grateful for that, but that doesn't change the fact that my Penny is sick, and I have to wait another day for credible answers.

That's all I guess.

Jennie

Edited by neenieca

Definitely a second opinion from a savvy vet. That's what I'd do too (and have done). :)

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Sounds to me like you're doing the right thing...let us know what Penny's new vet says!

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

In my opinion you are absolutely doing the right thing in seeking a second opinion. I wish all greyhound adopters were as thorough and proactive in their dog's care as you are. Please do let us know what the second vet has to say. Hang in there, you will sort this out. Hugs to Penny and you! :grouphug

Guest BooMooandDoo

I wouldn't change her food until you talk with another vet. Barking at the moon is a really good food, and urine crystals can be caused buy a number of things, it all depends on what type of crystals they are . . . . and I'm not seeing where he's getting liver disease.

Take a deep breath, make an appoinment, and hug you sweet girl.

When you talk to your new Vet, ask about milk thistle to help the liver heal, if that is truly the problem.

Good luck.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Guest DoofBert

Yep seek a second opinion... FYI.... when the cats were kittens, they were both treated for coccidia....the big D was very profound.....but once on the right meds, it cleared right away.

Guest meandmygreys

Coccidia is pretty common..especially where poultry has been kept...Albon will cure it..don't panic...let us know about Vet number 2 !!

Guest trevdog

Definitely get the records an get to the new vet. Sounds like the other one needs some greyhound research.

Keep us posted....

Good luck at the visit with the second vet! Glad that you found him and bravo - it's not always easy to disagree with an "authority" figure.

Let us know how it goes tomorrow!

I think you're doing the right thing. If the new vet confirms everything, then you know how to proceed, but it sounds like your gut instinct is telling you to look for better answers.

I hope you get everything straightened out and your pup in good health!

Good luck.

Aero: http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?d=kees+uncatchable; our bridge angel (1/04/02-8/2/07) Snickers; our bridge angel (1/04/02-2/29/08) Cricket; Kanga Roo: oops girl 5/26/07; Doctor Thunder http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?z=P_31Oj&a...&birthland=

Glad you have a second vet to confer with.. hope they can give a clear prognosis.. let us know!

We switched vets after seeking a second opinion and found a much-more grey-savvy vet... it makes all the difference in the world to have confidence in your vet instead of feeling the need to research and second guess what he or she says!

Amy and Tim in Beverly, MA, with Chase and Always missing Kingsley (Drama King) and Ruby (KB's Bee Bopper).

Guest robingrey

Good on you for being educated enough to both seek a second opinion and still be worried about the first. It sounds like you're doing exactly the right thing! :grouphug

Guest OMGiluvgreys

I would say you're doing it right by getting a 2nd opinion. The bacteria is not an uncommon one, we've had it here. As for the protien, unless they are still racing I would cut back to no more then 25%.

Edited by OMGiluvgreys

Guest spider9174

if you haven't already gotten the results, have them faxed to you (if possible). The sooner you see your guys results, the sooner you can figure out where he sits.

I think it is great that you are educating yourself here. I had an issue when I first got my guy with his BUN and creatinine levels. I'm sure that if I didn't have a vet that was familiar with greyhound blood work, that I would have been going down a road of kidney tests and ultrasounds, etc. Gables levels are high for a greyhound, but not so high that we need to do something about it. I talked to so many greyt people and they all said, wait to see over the next few months before you do anything it takes time to adjust to non-track life. Even my vet said, well, lets just test him over the next couple of months and see where the levels go. The next visit, they went up, the next one, back down to normal for a grey.

So...I guess what I'm saying is...I totally know where you are--i was freaking out too. Educate yourself and make phone calls.

Do you have a vet school near by? Many of the vets at the schools do quite a bit of reserach along with teaching and clinical work, you might be able to fine one at the vet school that is familiar with greys and he might be able to help you.

Guest neenieca

I'm happy to report that Penny is just fine! :confetti This new vet is indeed awesome and no-nonsense, and she completely took charge of the situation. She read the lab results I brought her and did a few of her own tests and concluded that Penny does NOT have liver disease OR hypo-thyroidism OR crystals in her urine or even alopecia! :yay She does have a few white blood cells in her urine, so this doc is doing a urine culture, and we'll know the results on Monday. She gave us two new antibiotics, and said that if these don't help with the vomiting and diarrhea, THEN we'll consider a food change, but not until then.

So...whew!!! My sweet girl isn't as "diseased" as that first vet would have me believe. Thank God! (And...I KNEW it!)

Thanks to all of you, as always, for your support and happy thoughts for Penny and for me. You guys are awesome!

Jennie

And I just have to add: :banana:banana:banana:banana

Yes, this is cause to celebrate! Penny, Georgia & Apollo all had the same "vet." Georgia was also misdiagnosed with hypothyroidism and heart disease!! After a second opinion, my girl is alright, too. So for Penny & Georgia :yay :yay :yay

And for Jennie and me, we can sleep well tonight knowing our girls are healthy. :wub: